PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for a Noob?

Roadstar
12-09-2004, 08:49 PM
I want to start playing some SnG's to keep poker more interesting and start developing my tournament play. I generally play micro limit games online ($0.5/$1) right now and am probably a slightly above average player (nothing statistically significant of course).

Oh yeah, I've never played a real $ SnG before /images/graemlins/grin.gif, I have played MTT freerolls (my best finish was 16 out of 2,500) on ultimate bet and can consistenly beat play money SnG's (probably don't mean anything though!)

I've read most of the contents of the SnG faq (the sticky note).

Based on what I described, I currently play on Pacific Poker (due to a promotion, will switch to paradise or even back to Party soon) and have the following questions:

1) Is it ok to start with the $2.50 + $.25 SnG's? I hear people say that play is more normal and beatable around the $5-$10 range, but its a large amount relative to the limits I play. Is it still worth the time or should I build a larger bankroll first?

2) Should I play limit or no-limit SnG's?

3) Related to Q#2, what are some adjustments you would suggest that I make/pay more attention to. For example, in micro limits, there are lots of instances where you check/call if you suspect you're slightly behind (but with outs) to see a cheap showdown, obviously this is a lot different in SnG's, especially the no-limit ones.

4) Any other tips before you tag me as a fish at the tables /images/graemlins/blush.gif?

Thanks a lot guys!

vindikation
12-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Read the SnG FAQ it's invaluable:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=844952&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Johnny69
12-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I've only played $5/1 real money so far but I can tell you that it is almost the same as 'play money'.

I too was kicking ass at fun money and decided to play real money and found no difference. Just avoid the first couple rounds and only play premium hands until in the bubble.

rjb03
12-09-2004, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only played $5/1 real money so far but I can tell you that it is almost the same as 'play money'.

I too was kicking ass at fun money and decided to play real money and found no difference. Just avoid the first couple rounds and only play premium hands until in the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

The $5+$1 on party is not too smart to play. You should move up to $10+$1 as your bankroll permits or play another site with a better vig. Anyhow, I don't think play money experience is going to help you much as practice other than getting used to the structure.

(my name it is) Sam Hall
12-09-2004, 11:36 PM
1) I have a fear of anything below 10, so I don't know. There seem to be conflicting opinions, but generally 10 is thought to be the level where the play gets more "normal."

2) Play about 30 of each and decide your favorite format. I was actually surprised to find out I preferred limit, maybe since it allows for some multi-tasking (reading forums and surfing for um... pictures and stuff) in the early rounds.

3) Tournaments are not ring games. Pass up +EV situations with high variance if folding gives you a better chance of moving up places in the finish. Understand position and fold equity. You will win consistently not by hitting big hands, but by dodging and stealing your way ITM. Only then allow the element of lucky cards to make a difference.

4) Don't be one.

good luck... I mean, play well.

Sam

Sidekick
12-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Personally I think SnGs are a completely different beast from MTTs. Don't expect a SnG to play like a MTT.

1. My first SnGs were at Pacific at the $2.50 + $0.25 tables. It is fine to start there in order to get used to the play and to help build your BR. Just expect a lot of silly plays that will win you chips, but expect to get sucked out on by quite a few crap hands.

2. Whether you play limit or no-limit is more a matter of which you are comfortable with. If you play limit ring games and are looking to SnGs so you can develop some no-limit skills and as a change of pace, then play no-limit. If you prefer limit poker then play the limit SnGs and maybe occassionally play no-limit as a change of pace.

3. There is no real comparison to ring games. Your entire objective (IMO at least) is to finish in the money (ITM). SnG play seems to break down into 3 stages. Early play where you try and avoid busting out. Bubble play where you are typically fighting to get ITM. Finally ITM play where you are trying to win 1st.

4. Read, learn and live by the SnG strategy guide that is in the FAQ until you have a good feel for how to play SnGs. Then make adjustments to fit your style of play or for certain specific situations.

Good luck and have fun doing SnGs!