PDA

View Full Version : On The Turn: Keep Firing Or Take The Free Card?

charlie_t_jr
12-09-2004, 06:10 PM
B&M 3/6. The 2 players in the blinds have been calling and cold calling with trash all night. EP and MP fair/average. CO has been the tightest player at the table, aggressive pf, tight/passive post flop. Hero is button.

EP, MP, CO limp. I raise with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BB calls, as do the limpers.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. 5 players, 10 sbs.

Check to me, I bet. All call except EP.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. 4 players. 7 bbs.

Check to me...Hero?

bisonbison
12-09-2004, 06:12 PM
take the free card. I don't think it's close.

Rubeskies
12-09-2004, 06:14 PM
The only way this bet is for value is if all of them call. Are you sure enough that they all will? Maybe somebody is planning a C/R?

I'd say take the free card.

MagicRat
12-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Is this a standard pre-flop raise with that many limpers?? I can see with 1, maybe 2, but with 3 or more (and BB, at least, will probably come along) it seems as though you're going to have to hit the straight or flush to win so wouldn't you want to see the flop cheaply? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chaos_ult
12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
The reason for this raise is outlined in HEPFAP. "Basically, you are making the pot larger so that if you get a flop you like, such as two flush card of the appropriate suit, then more of your opponents will be encouraged to stay for one or two more cards with as little as one overcard."

Freakin
12-09-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only way this bet is for value is if all of them call. Are you sure enough that they all will? Maybe somebody is planning a C/R?

I'd say take the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rube,

Are you sure that it would still be a value bet with only 3 other opponents (assuming they all called)? He's paying 25% for a pot equity of a little over 20%, so he has a slight pot equity defecit. Is this correct?

Freakin

kendal14
12-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Someone please correct me here if I am totally wrong. But I think your post actually argues for the pf raise. J10s is a drawing hand and you are looking to make your str8 and or flush. Raising (especially on the button) and having the early position limpers call (and hopefully not reraise) will more often than not give you the right odds to call a bet when you get any of your draws on the flop. With 1/2 limpers it probably may not be a good idea to raise depending on where they limped in from as creating a 6-8 sb pot for the flop still might make it difficult for you to chase your draws.

charlie_t_jr
12-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Well, I'm drawing to the str8, flush, and Royal...does that increase my pot equity?

Freakin
12-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Sorry, I'm tired. I didn't look at the extra 3 outs from the str8. That probably gets you over 25%.

Freakin

charlie_t_jr
12-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Well, right or wrong, I fired another bet on the Turn.

EP, MP, CO limp. I raise with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif . BB calls, as do the limpers.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif . 5 players, 10 sbs.

Check to me, I bet. All call except EP.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif . 4 players. 7 bbs.

I bet. BB, MP fold. CO calls.

River: blank. 2 of us. 9 bbs.

CO checks...Hero? Give it up or try to push him off?

kendal14
12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I think you are beat here. I do not think CO he folds to one bet. You describe him as tight passive. I guess you need to guess whether he was on the same flush draw that missed, but more likely has at least tp which I think he will showdown with.

college_boy
12-09-2004, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are beat here. I do not think CO he folds to one bet. You describe him as tight passive. I guess you need to guess whether he was on the same flush draw that missed, but more likely has at least tp which I think he will showdown with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he folds here more than 10% of the time though. I think betting is profitable.

kendal14
12-09-2004, 08:35 PM
With TPGK (AJ)? I would call this down. Definitely depending on my read of the preflop raiser (trying to steal, range of pf raise hands, post flop agression, etc.)

charlie_t_jr
12-09-2004, 09:23 PM
I think I misplayed it after the flop.

I bet again hoping he would lay down. CO called and showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.