PDA

View Full Version : goodbye ring games

05-28-2002, 01:29 AM
I've had it...from here on out, Whiskeytown is a tourney player or nothing else.

Why, do you ask, is Whiskeytown changing gears...

1. Records clearly show I'm up for the year in tourneys (live and internet) and down in ring games. In fact, my tourney wins live and online (almost $3500) - are negated by my ring game losses in the $2500 range over the last 5 months.

2. I'm competitive - period...and I get more satisifaction out of placing high in a tourney then in doubling my buy-in in a ring game

3. I'm not doing this for a living, so steady income isn't important to me.

Why - a combination of factors, I suspect. Primarly, I think that in a LL tourney, the cream still tends to rise to the top, whereas in a LL 3-6 game, the variance is too high to deal with adequately, esp. with poor players on the internet.

One other thing as well...the worst of the LL players don't know how to operate a computer...I won't have that 48 year old Asian guy at Canterbury checkraising me with pocket 4's preflop online in a tourney game...he won't last 5 min. with another table looking to chew him up...LOL - so one more reson to stay away from the ring

So kiss my butt goodbye ring players...come to the tourney tables if ya want a piece of me. See ya at the final table.

P.S...I think I'm getting a rep. Earlier I had someone call my A10 all in with J8 suited...I say it's time to tighten up my game..LOL

RB

05-28-2002, 06:51 AM
what kind of whiskey do u drink . I love crown royal, and half club soda, half ginger ale. drinking whiskey straight or on the rocks suck as i like to still get laid at the end of the night.

05-28-2002, 09:11 AM
LOL....it's not a pitch for alcoholism -

It was the name of a band on Outpost Records...the frontman was Ryan Adams. He's starting to make a name for himself now as a solo artist.

Personally, I've been drinking Rumple mintz -100 proof and tastes like sweet peppermint.

05-28-2002, 12:43 PM
Hello Whiskeytown,

You said "Primarly, I think that in a LL tourney, the cream still tends to rise to the top, whereas in a LL 3-6 game, the variance is too high to deal with adequately, esp. with poor players on the internet." You misunderstand the reason for your losses in a ring game, it simply takes a different set of skills than a tournament. In other words the cream is rising to the top in ring games but you must be buttermilk.

It baffles me as to why you might think a LL tournament would require more skill than a ring game. As I previously stated it is a different skill but has so much more short term luck required to win than a long ring game session.

Perhaps you are just lucky in tournaments due to the short term requirements. Perhaps NL is more suited to your style of play. I find the better ring game players (limit and no limit) place far less often in a tournament than the "OK, here's my $20 let's gamble" player who enters a tournament.

Just my opinion and good luck to you in your tourneys.

Jimbo

Just one question: Why would you not want poor players in your ring game trying to draw out against your best hand?

05-28-2002, 01:36 PM
Whiskeytown is one of my favourite bands--Inn Town in particular. Too bad Ryan Adams is all about the mega millions and commercial cheese now (see: anything involving Elton John). I actually saw a Ryan Adams show in a pretty small bar recently, and Elton came on the the stage and they did 'Rocket Man'.

I still think his new stuff sucks though, particularly 'New York New York'. Too bad he doesn't play his old tunes live anymore!!!

05-28-2002, 06:34 PM
Because my bankroll usually isn't large enough to withstand the flucuations a wild LL player brings to the table. Sure they'll rake in $400 and sure they'll give it back, but by the time they take my $200 from me, I can't afford to lose anymore to them.

It's one guy in particular who really pisses me off...LOL - I just need games where I can invest $20 and $30 - not $400 - not yet.

RB

05-28-2002, 07:09 PM
Now that makes perfect sense to me. You did mention something about fluctuations or variations in your first post but I did not attach the proper amount of importance to it regarding you banroll vs: the deviation these players cause.

Just a suggestion but the proper limit to play in is the one which your bankroll can withstand the fluctuations as well as your talent can compete with the average level of skill.

Jimbo

05-28-2002, 08:25 PM
that is a very intelligent comment

take away the exaggeration and we would all do well to consider the principle you raise for thought

05-28-2002, 09:52 PM

05-29-2002, 12:55 AM
I am not exaggerating...

At a Canterbury 3/6 game, I can easily lose $200 if I'm not careful to bad beats from two or more players while they rake in the chips. Perhaps Coz can enlighten us a bit. - He's been there.

If I have a bit more in chips, say a third $100 ro so, I can probably outlast them and get my money back (provided they don't leave the table) but I usually am really hesitant to keep dumping chips into a table with such a high variance, esp. if at some point the players are going to get up and leave.

05-29-2002, 12:57 AM
unless I want to play online, which I don't, I don't have the means to establish a solid bankroll right now...Our lowest game is 2/4 and I never go above 3/6

And I only do that cause in my mind, the rake and jackpot drops ($5 bucks in a full pot) are too much to overcome in the 2/4 game.

05-29-2002, 01:43 PM
"And I only do that cause in my mind, the rake and jackpot drops ($5 bucks in a full pot) are too much to overcome in the 2/4 game"

Remember that they take the same rake at 3/6, so you're only going to see a benefit in pots that are 7-10 BB. Any less, and you're still paying the rake in 3/6; any higher, and you've maxxed out the rake in 2/4.

I play out there too and I'm up a little over 2BB/hr at 2/4. Both limits play the same.

Have you played any of the Thursday night tournies? I'm not sure I like the idea of dropping $100 bucks for one ($45 buy in/$10 entry/$45 add-on,rebuy), but since they rarely have any cheaper ones, I'll probably have to try it one of these days.

05-29-2002, 10:16 PM
I don't think he's that bad of a sellout YET. I'd like to hear him release the three albums he's got in the can that are more like the sequel's to Heartbreaker. For my part, I bought the Catilin Cary album just for "The Battle" with her and Ryan, and it was worth the entire album for that one song.

One thing did piss me off, hearing the Corrs and Bono cover "When the Stars Go Blue" - I thought that was whacked.

There's a certain evil humor in having an entire clique of poker players who call me names like "Drunken Bastard" when I hit a lucky card and they have NO idea what the name means or what good music is.

Inn town is good. I didn't get into them till the Pneumonia/Heartbreaker era - but a year b4 Gold came out, so I'm not the most heartless scenester out there.

But I digress...bring on the poker tourneys...LOL.