PDA

View Full Version : what's the deal with masons?

bonanz
12-09-2004, 05:19 PM
why are there so many conspiracy theories and sh.it involving masons. what exactly do the masons do. why are they so secretive?

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why are there so many conspiracy theories and sh.it involving masons. what exactly do the masons do. why are they so secretive?

[/ QUOTE ]
Secretive? I thought anyone could learn how to build stuff out of brick?

BusterStacks
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
http://www.twoplustwo.com/images/malhead.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 05:26 PM
I assume you are talking about Free Masons?

I think part of it is that they had a big number of trade secrets that allowed them to build amazing buildings and structures. But they had to keep these techniques secret, thus they formed a secret society. As for how they have/had so much power, I have no idea. Secret societies intrigue me, but maybe its because they are so secretive. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GoblinMason (Craig)
12-09-2004, 05:27 PM
You rang?

cnfuzzd
12-09-2004, 05:30 PM
just thought you should now that you are now "marked". While your offense was grave, i suspect that they will let you off with a mere 200BB slide as a warning.

peace

john nickle

bonanz
12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
yes i meant free masons not mason malmuth or goblin mason. lol

[ QUOTE ]
just thought you should now that you are now "marked". While your offense was grave, i suspect that they will let you off with a mere 200BB slide as a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost didn't make this post out of fear /images/graemlins/blush.gif

BusterStacks
12-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Who controls the British crown?

Who keeps the metric system down?

We do! We do!

Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the Martians under wraps?

We do! We do!

Who holds back the electric car?

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

We do! We do!

Who robs the cave fish of their sight?

Who rigs every Oscar night?

We do! We do!

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/81633_300.jpg

kerssens
12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
One of my co-workers is a Mason, he's a douche about it...therefore all Masons are douches

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of my co-workers is a Mason, he's a douche about it...therefore all Masons are douches

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the way you think, son. Have you ever thought about a career in politics?

astroglide
12-09-2004, 06:07 PM
i looked into it a little bit in the past and it really seems to be a lost cause in terms of getting meaningful information. probably have to talk to an ex-mason to get the real deal but they'd probably be jaded for some reason and give it a worse spin.

junkmail3
12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
When I was in high school we were talking about the Masons and other things and we could get extra credit throughout the year if we brought stuff in that we were talking about.

So, I knew this guy who knows a lot about the Masons (but isn't one) and he somehow has a lot of their books (secret books I guess). So I asked him if I could borrow it. I brought it into school and my english teacher wouldn't even touch it. I thought that was pretty strange. but then again, I've been struck by lightning 18 times since.

I hear if you get a Masonic liscense plate you get far fewer speeding tickets.

bonanz
12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
it's funny because my friends father was a former mason. so i was asking him about it and what they did and why he's not a part of their organization anymore and he just gives vague answers, dodging questions, muttering things under his breath, and changing the subject saying something like it's just weird i don't wanna talk about it.

Duke
12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
They always struck me as being similar to Scientologists. One of the many collections of people that I think should be eradicated. Not the individuals, just the organization.

~D

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 06:57 PM
I actually want to be one, seems cool and/or interesting /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cyrus
12-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Ever been at a poker table where everybody else was a mason? Saying things you don't understand and doing the secret chip shuffle?

Scary, man!

...You have noticed the name of this forum's main poobah, right? Think it's a coincidence Malmuth wins at poker?

Mason Malmuth
12-10-2004, 05:38 AM
Hi Cyrus:

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
Masons rule the world

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me.

best wishes,
Mason

AngryCola
12-10-2004, 05:41 AM
I just knew Mason would have to post on this thread. Perhaps I should have proposed a wager. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bulldog
12-10-2004, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who controls the British crown?

Who keeps the metric system down?

We do! We do!

Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the Martians under wraps?

We do! We do!

Who holds back the electric car?

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

We do! We do!

Who robs the cave fish of their sight?

Who rigs every Oscar night?

We do! We do!

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/81633_300.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

My fantasy football team fight song!

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 11:56 AM
I just like it when he replies to people because it is always "Hi, <insert name here>" When he did that to Kurn, it cracked me up, because he always uses the full name. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

HDPM
12-10-2004, 02:37 PM
I am not a mason and will never be. So take it FWIW, but I think the reasons behind the start of the organization probably aren't known to many in the current membership. A pretty good history I read on the organization suggests that the masons started as a secret society to harbor the remnants of the Knights Templar in England. France killed them off more effectively one Friday the 13th, but in England they enjoyed some warning and had friends in high places. They still had to go on the run and hide one another and keep what they could. The rituals and practices make sense in light of a fugitive harboring organization. The idea of religious tolerance is a rare one for an old organization like that, but it makes sense when you would have a group of clerics who were declared heretics and denied salvation who then must protect themselves from death by torture. They certainly would have had disagreement among themselves about theological issues and beliefs. Later, the organization might have been a place for religious dissenters who couldn't easily find a safe group back in the day.

This history may not be right, but it hmakes a lot of sense to me. What the masons are about now is something different. If this story is true, their original purpose is unnecessary now and it is just a fraternal group. I don't put much stock in the conspiracy theories.

AngryCola
12-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Interstingly, he didn't use my full name when responsing to me.

Called me "AC" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1368152&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) .

Six_of_One
12-10-2004, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If this story is true, their original purpose is unnecessary now and it is just a fraternal group. I don't put much stock in the conspiracy theories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just a fraternal group, but a dying one. I remember reading a couple years ago that the average age of their members was over 60 and climbing, and their numbers had dropped by half over a 10-year period because so many of them keep dying, and nobody wants to join anymore.

Sounds like fun to me, sitting through elaborate ceremonies in a room with a bunch of old guys wearing fancy robes.

Broken Glass Can
12-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Have you all noticed that Mason now qualifies as Carpal Tunnel based on his post count, even though he still declares himself a Grand Poobah?

Justin A
12-10-2004, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you all noticed that Mason now qualifies as Carpal Tunnel based on his post count, even though he still declares himself a Grand Poobah?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Sklanksy is getting the short end of the stick. He's only an addict. Even I'm ahead of him.

Justin A

AngryCola
12-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Right, but nobody else is a "grand poobah" as far as I know. It's a special title. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Oz just goes by the regular forum rankings.

One Word Answer
12-10-2004, 08:07 PM
quality