PDA

View Full Version : medium pairs

cmillard
12-09-2004, 05:17 PM
I am medium stack with 4 people left, 2 that are very aggressive. When I am delt a medium pair (55-99), what is the best stategy, calling the big blind and wait for the flop, raise the big blind, or go all in? I have had this situation come up a few times and it seems like just calling the BB is always dangerous after the flop. What is generally the best move here?

UMTerp
12-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Need stack sizes to answer this question, but in general, if the blinds are pretty high and your stack is average at best, you're pushing preflop.

If one of your oppenents is extremely shortstacked and you're not the chip leader, you could probably find a fold though if the situation was right.

By no means just call the big blind. That's terrible poker.

cmillard
12-09-2004, 05:49 PM
I have been seeing that a lot! Is just calling the BB in most situations bad poker? A lot of people say raise or fold.

Sluss
12-09-2004, 06:05 PM
I think when you are four handed just calling the big blind is only good if your slowplaying aces. There is just no reason not to raise, fold or push.

When it is bubble time you are not trying to get lucky and flop a set. You are trying to win.

This is of course stack dependant. Maybe you stop and go out of the big blind or you push a smaller stack. Maybe you just raise an even stack if you have enough chips.

But it is always fold bet or push with a medium pair shorthanded.

Vetstadium
12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
I usually push with these types of pairs as well on the bubble, I hate to go out forth but if I am in small blind with sevens or something like that I like my chances of A. either not getting called and stealing big blind, or B. doubling up. Of course there is always C which is getting knocked out but you can't play scared so I only see it as A and B.