PDA

View Full Version : Best comeback story...

Dominic
12-09-2004, 03:57 PM
I was playing a $50+5 yesterday at UB and got busted down to 60 in chips when the blinds were at 50-100, with 5 people left...

I came back and won the damn thing!

So it got me thinking...can anyone here beat that comeback? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

spentrent
12-09-2004, 04:02 PM
You won't believe it but 5 chips in level one on a Party 10 when I first started playing. I kept getting big hands in both blinds -- and both blinds only -- for the next few rounds. I talked so much crap in that game that I think 9 people added me to their "Block Chat" list.

It's amazing how many Captain Obviouses of the world responded indignantly to my claims of great poker skill... "No, you just keep getting big cards in the blinds, fish."

"You can't handle my excellent post-flop play, Professor."

"You're NOT PLAYING POST FLOP!"

"Mmmmmmm, JEALOUS MUCH CHAMP?"

morgan180
12-09-2004, 04:06 PM
i can't beat it but i came back from being all-in on a small blind (blinds 150/300) heads up against the chipleader with 7500+ chips at a party 10+1 and ended up winning.

i had so many suck outs and put so many bad beats on the poor guy in the process it felt like i was exorcising the deamons of all of the bad beats laid on me in past tournies.

it really was refreshing and helped get some of the bad vibes out of my head about the game. of course i apologize the entire way as my J8o would bust his AQ...

PokerPaul
12-09-2004, 04:59 PM
i can think of 2:

2 years ago i was down to 15 with 7 players left in NL STT. I think we started with 800 each. Managed to survive, in the blinds, and the very few hands i played, and never had more than 200 from that point on, yet still managed to finish 2nd, as bigger stack kept taking each other on.

The second one was just 3 weeks ago, and it was in one of those pokerstars double shoot out qualifiers to the carrebean WPY main event ($150 buyin)...you beat your table of nine, then all 9 winners play 1 table for the seat.

In my first table, it was down to me and this other ultra agressive guy. he had me outchipped 13200 to 300, and i came back all the way to beat him. Unfortuanately i went out in 5th place at the second table, but this guy followed me and watched the entire thing and berated me the whole time cuz he was bitter. maybe there are better comebacks, but such a big underdog comeback with a WPT seat on line was what made that special for me.

eleventy
12-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Best...early on had only 20 chips left. Called a hand with junk but like 5 player were in and won. Then went on to win.

Worst...final 2. He had less than 100 chips and kept winning and i eventually lost.

Rasputin
12-09-2004, 05:58 PM
I was down to something like fifty or sixty once on about the third or fourth hand once and came back to win. Had AA, a guy who had lost a small hand went all in, what was I gonna do?

One other time I ended up down to about 100 heads up in a Stars turbo so I was all-in on the blinds for about three hands in a row. I survived long enough and eventually took the lead back but he ended up winning eventually.

Another oddity--I once played a Stars SnG where I won by personally busting out every other player. Don't know if that happens all that often.

koko2315
12-09-2004, 09:01 PM
personal best it down to t79 @ 50/100 blinds against 4 other players. Tripled through in BB, doubled SB, then picked up AA. The rest is history.

The Yugoslavian
12-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Ok, so I obviously don't know how to shrink links. Anyway, FWIW, a thread from back in the day where ZeeJustin ruled supreme (last post):

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=837471&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1

And a subsequent thread months later that he still ruled:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1158967&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Frankly, you should feel free to search before you post since every couple weeks or months someone starts a comeback thread. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jman28
12-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Not exactly the same, but I just 2 minutes ago achieved the comeback I was most proud of. Playing a Party $100+9 SnG (which I'm just now attempting to move up to) on the 3rd hand I face a large raise (t200) and 2 calls and look down at AA. I push. First raiser folds, and first caller folds. Second caller calls me with T8s. He wins with a 4-8 straight.

It leaves me with 220 of the 1000 chips I started with. Instead of tilting, I just played my game, didn't say anything, and I ended up winning.

I was pretty impressed with me.

-Jman28

Daliman
12-10-2004, 01:51 AM
Ive come back to win a 200+15 from 45 chips, and I've gone fom 80 chips to 5700 in 9 hands at the 50/100-100/200 levels, ended up 3rd tho, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

TheBlueMonster
12-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Blinds at 50/100, I have 36 chips left, one hand from BB. I go all in and triple up(A 10 ). Next hand I'm all in (KQ) and double up. Next hand I have pocket 8s and someone puts me all in....I double up. I ended up winning the tournament.
Three non-premium hands yet somehow each time they worked.

MrMon
12-10-2004, 03:45 AM
I've twice come back to win $20+$2 Paradise SnGs, once with 45 and three weeks later from 40, both times with 8 players remaining.

All these stories are a reminder you should NEVER give up. These stories are all extreme, of course, but all of us routinely come back from the 150-250 level, so practice that short stack play. I see so many people just throw their money away when it really isn't hopeless.

Marcotte
12-10-2004, 01:09 PM
[opposite day]
Last night I got AA on the first hand of a $10+$1 in UTG+2. Raised to 100, got a caller ended up doubling up. Played tight through the next few levels until my QQ ran into A6o on the bubble. Of course he flopped the ace.
[/opposite day]