PDA

View Full Version : Common food you've never tried

Sponger15SB
12-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Last night for the first time I ate cole slaw, and it got me thinking of how many foods out there that practically everyone had ate, yet I've never tried.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
tuna

the fish

TheRake
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
sour kraut

I will never try it

astroglide
12-09-2004, 03:00 PM
cole slaw has EXTREME differences depending on who makes it. i honestly like kfc's best.

kerssens
12-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Avocados and cottage cheese and saurkrout and coleslaw

Sponger15SB
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cole slaw has EXTREME differences depending on who makes it. i honestly like kfc's best.

[/ QUOTE ]

It came as a side to my $17 swordfish last night at longboard's grill in santa barbara.

I took 4 bites of it and wanted to puke.

Sponger15SB
12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tuna

the fish

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. took me a second to realize why you added "the fish" because i forgot the other kind.

astroglide
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
never had guacamole?

IndieMatty
12-09-2004, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuna

the fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol. took me a second to realize why you added "the fish" because i forgot the other kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Parcells?

kerssens
12-09-2004, 03:11 PM
never had guacamole...I know I'm missing some on my list too so I'll periodically edit my list...I'm a picky eater

Sponger15SB
12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
never had guacamole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man I can hardly eat a sandwich if it doesn't have guac/avocado on it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sfer
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
There is avocado and there is California avocado and the two are not in the same universe.

Toro
12-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Grits. It just doesn't sound good.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tuna

the fish

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]knowing this place, I had to edit it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Duke
12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm fairly certain I've tried everything that is by any means common.

Things that I've had that I wish I never tried (Partially inspired by this list):

Cole Slaw, Avocado (and Guacamole too - it tastes like nothing and has the consistency of nothing I want in my mouth)

I'll leave it at that, since there really aren't that many foods that I'm not allergic to that I don't like. Those two really stand out, though, as disgusting things to ingest.

~D

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Grits. It just doesn't sound good.

[/ QUOTE ]
What a sicko! How do you live with yourself?

offTopic
12-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Before 2003, I'd never had a Krispy Kreme...having tried them, I wish I hadn't. Highly overrated, IMO.

stabn
12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
It's one of the worst foods ever invented. I have no idea how people eat that [censored].

Duke
12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Before 2003, I'd never had a Krispy Kreme...having tried them, I wish I hadn't. Highly overrated, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but all they really are is a sweet donut. Overly sweet. If you like sugar, and like donuts, you can't really hate them. It's not like they have a unique taste.

~D

Diplomat
12-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Something I tried before but never eat are mushrooms. For some reason, I just cannot stand the things.

-Diplomat

citanul
12-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Sounds like you've had some shitty Guac.

stabn
12-09-2004, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Avocados and cottage cheese and saurkrout

[/ QUOTE ]
What about guacamole? have you not had it either?

Also,
Yum. ok, and yum.

stabn
12-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Grits are nasty. So are buckwheat pancakes and basically every othe thing my grandfather eats. I tried both all of one time, and that was one too many for both.

aquifex harse
12-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Fries.... (Not French Fries)

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but all they really are is a sweet donut. Overly sweet. If you like sugar, and like donuts, you can't really hate them. It's not like they have a unique taste.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like them compared to other donuts. They're lighter or something. It's just not right. I like to know my donuts have been fried in lard.

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Grits are nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're wrong.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 03:51 PM
I greatly dislike guac as well. In fact, the fierceness of the gag reflex that guac causes me is second only to tomatoes.

stabn
12-09-2004, 03:54 PM
That's weird man. I had guac all over the burrito i had for dinner last night. (torreros by lils while waiting for the first satellite to end since we got there too late to make the first one). There's really nothing better on mexican food than guac.

Do you like sour cream? Or dislike that as well?

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grits are nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]who knows, this may be true for every item listed, but according to my dad, grits only taste good(to him) if they are cooked a certain way, and he is from the South, so he ate a bunch of that [censored].

stabn
12-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Nasty i say, nasty!

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
sour cream is alright, I dunno, I wonder how sour cream mixed with guac would taste.

T-Ro's is alright, I usually go to the one in Factoria.

Duke
12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you like sour cream? Or dislike that as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent call for something that I should have been warned about. My first reaction to it many many years ago was: SOUR cream? How can that possibly be good? I was assured that it was good. I took a bad beat by trying it.

To each their own, obviously, though it constantly amazes me how different taste buds can be.

~D

daryn
12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

kfc's cole slaw is AWESOME!

i have eaten every common food there is to eat.

whenever i hear someone say "i'm a picky eater" i just want to punch them in the face.

too much food in america!

stabn
12-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Yah, there are mexican places around here i like more, but T-ro's is decent. Definitely better salsa than they they serve in the bigger chains.

offTopic
12-09-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do generally like cake doughnuts vs. raised, KK's have so much glaze that they seem "wet"...that's the only way I can describe them, so yeah, KK's specifically gross me out.

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nasty i say, nasty!

[/ QUOTE ]
You are wrong, sir. That is all. Good day!

turnipmonster
12-09-2004, 04:11 PM
one of these days I am going to take a bunch of grits up to nyc with me and sell them as "tuscan white polenta" and it will be the new craze and everyone will love them.

grits are great if you know how to cook them right.

turnipmonster
12-09-2004, 04:12 PM
I've never eaten sardines or anchovies.

Ulysses
12-09-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have eaten every common food there is to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of anything common I haven't tried. I've tried most uncommon things too. If I run across something I haven't tried, my default action is to try it and see if I like it. I'll have to think about it some more. I'm sure there's something.

I'm also stunned at some of the things people haven't tried. Cole slaw? How can you be 20yo in America and not have had cole slaw? Sponger - did you at some fourth of july picnic when you were really young get beaten up by someone as you were about to get some coleslaw or something?

Peca277
12-09-2004, 04:29 PM
I have a 22 year old friend who has never had a strawberry, green/red pepper, apple pie, pizza with anything other than pepperoni, chinese food... the list just goes on and on. Now she is extremely hesitant to try any of it, and usually dislikes anything she does try. I just can't imagine growing up like that.

zaxx19
12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
You people bashing Guacomale are insane it rocks. Sour cream isnt to be eatern plain try a dollop on some chili or in spanish rice anything substantial and spicy like indian food. youll like it believe me.

Ive never had apple butter, most kinds of seafood including salmon, cod, anything exotic, lobster, crab, clams(yes the food lol), oysters, Jambalaya, crawfish you get the point. I tried shrimp just once when we had a shrimp sale at school to raise funds for my football team. Im a big guy so the other guys were suprised i wasnt scarfing shrimp like all the other "fat lineman". I was like I dont like seafood then they proceeded to hector me for 2 hours to eat some. When I finally gave in it just tasted like fried mush with a faint fish smell... yuck.

I had vegimite once it is the most heinous tasting crap ever. BTW vegimite is like the national spread of Aulstralia my dad is an expat Aussie and has it shipped in periodically from his sister.

Aces McGee
12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
I cast another ballot for cottage cheese. The mere sight and smell of it makes me lose my appetite.

-McGee

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Jambalaya isn't really a common food, and you also don't have to make it with seafood. FWIW, Jambalaya has grown on me, to the point where I now really enjoy it. My mom makes it with kielbasa and ham, but you can make it when any type of meat really. OH, you have to dump Tobassco on it as well, the spicier the better.

Also, out here in WA we eat a lot of fresh seafood. I didn't try salmon until maybe a year ago, damn I was missing out. It looks sorta weird, but taste hella good.

B Dids
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Coleslaw is amazing stuff. You're all on crack.

A few years ago I was at a salad bar and there was potato salad. I got to thinking, and realized I'd never had it (I used to be a picky eater as a kid, but that changed in college), so I did. It turns out I love it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Potato salad is very good, but I probably wouldn't eat it from a salad bar. That was also a dish I didn't try until recently.

Victor
12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
apple butter is dank.........

PokerNoob
12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Liver. I just can't get past the smell. Same with chicken gizzards.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
apple butter is dank.........

[/ QUOTE ]as in like dank chronic? cuz thats good.

mmcd
12-09-2004, 04:58 PM
There's nothing better than a nice piece of calve's liver with bacon and onions.

sfer
12-09-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few years ago I was at a salad bar and there was potato salad. I got to thinking, and realized I'd never had it (I used to be a picky eater as a kid, but that changed in college), so I did. It turns out I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Dids likey potato salad. Guess you're part of the human race.

ethan
12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 22 year old friend who has never had a strawberry, green/red pepper, apple pie, pizza with anything other than pepperoni, chinese food... the list just goes on and on. Now she is extremely hesitant to try any of it, and usually dislikes anything she does try. I just can't imagine growing up like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just amazes me. I can't think of anything common I haven't tried, and I've gone through my fair share of uncommon too.

stabn
12-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Same. Actually i had 'kipper snacks once' which may be sardines, but i've never had anchovies. I never would have tried kipper stacks, but i was stuck in a boat fishing with my uncle, and it's all we had to eat. I don't think we caught anything that day, and damn was i bored.

stabn
12-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Potato salad is on my list of "it's only good when i or someone i know makes it" foods. Almost every restaraunt or supermarket gets it wrong. I had some very nasty potato salads before i learned this lesson.

astroglide
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
i hate potato salad. what's in it besides potatoes mustard and mayo?

stabn
12-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Hard boiled egg. Some weirdo's throw extra junk in though, or get the mixture wrong.

Sponger15SB
12-09-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FREAK!

Sarge85
12-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Cranberry Sauce

Anything that comes out of a can looking like that...can't be right.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Malone Brown
12-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Chocolate. I'm allergic though so I guess it doesn't count.

stabn
12-09-2004, 08:31 PM
How does one learn they are allergic to chocolate without trying it? Being allerric to milk or something?

Malone Brown
12-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Yes, I am allergic to milk among many many many other things. My diet pretty much consists of Chicken, beef and potatoes. Allergy tests told me this when i was very young so there's many common foods I've never tried.

Lazymeatball
12-09-2004, 09:02 PM
any form of beans, baked, refried, etc. or any kind of salad. I think I may have tried most of the common vegetables as a child when my mother forced me to, but we both gave up on that soon after. I wouldn't eat hotdogs until my sister shoved one in my mouth when I was 5 and discovered I liked them. I only started to eat eggs in the last 5 years. I've had mayo and dislike it, so the thought of cole slaw or potato salad grosses me out too. Actually, I have tried beans as part of a rice dish and then picked out all the beans after and put them on the side. I've never had cranberry sauce. I'm sure if people listed more common foods I'd find some I hadn't had.

offTopic
12-09-2004, 09:13 PM
After years of hearing folks rave about it, I finally tried Uni early this year. I was instantly reminded of when you've got a nosebleed, it stops, you sniffle, and end up swallowing a blood clot, except:

1) The Uni was slightly cooler
2) The blood clot tasted better

---

I am amazed at all the food some folks here are skipping for non-allergy reasons! /images/graemlins/blush.gif Food rocks! You should try as many different types of it as you can!

YourFoxyGrandma
12-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Do brussel sprouts count?

Also, cole slaw is unbelievably good (and easy to make too.)

WDC
12-09-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't know about common but there are somethings I won't eat just because their name sounds yucky:

eggplant
waterchestnuts
rice pudding
bread pudding

YourFoxyGrandma
12-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Waterchesnuts are sweet, man. They're used in alot of Asian dishes. I appreciate their texture. You should try them.

eggzz
12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Trying new food is great, in fact I highly encourage any of you that visit a foreign country, that when dining, just point to things on the menu that you have no idea what they are. Then you most likely will be trying something you never had before. I did this in Austria and got something that resembled raw salmon with lox, but I didn't know how to say "umm miss, this is not what I ordered, can I have a cheeseburger?"

So I ate it and ordered another Weissebier to wash it down.

I will eat and like just about any food you can possibly name, save for one thing: Kielbasa. I don't know why, I know some people love it, but it is really the only thing that I dislike .... but if it is served to me, I will eat it.

Life is too short to limit what you eat.

Lazymeatball
12-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Life is too short to spend eating crap you don't like.

Sponger15SB
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm also stunned at some of the things people haven't tried. Cole slaw? How can you be 20yo in America and not have had cole slaw? Sponger - did you at some fourth of july picnic when you were really young get beaten up by someone as you were about to get some coleslaw or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I've seriously just never tried it. My family has never had it, nor was there any at picnics I've been at.

Its not like I hate it, I just haven't had the chance.

Now you couldn't pay me to eat macaroni and cheese, that stuff tastes like [censored]!

(hehe, tried to think of the most widely ate food that i hate)

mmcd
12-09-2004, 10:11 PM
All 4 are delicious.

ethan
12-10-2004, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After years of hearing folks rave about it, I finally tried Uni early this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

People either love it or hate it. I tried it once about 4 years ago, thought it was horrible, then tried it again recently with quail egg and liked it. Might just have been that I was at a better sushi place the second time.

The only thing I've seen at a sushi restaurant I'm not willing to try is natto. I'm fairly open-minded when it comes to food, just not quite enough for that. (Natto is a sticky, stringy blob of fermented soybeans. The smell brings to mind rotten peanut butter.)

I also won't eat the chicken-feet at dim-sum.

All you adventurous people...what have you encountered that you can't bring yourself to try?

sfer
12-10-2004, 02:38 AM
Does Jolt cola count as food?

ricdaman
12-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Having traveled all over the world, I've eaten foods you've probably never heard of. Yet, I haven't eaten sardines or anchovies. Guess the bad reputation has kept me away from them.

Also, SHlT seems like a common food. Everybody says from time to time, "This tastes like SHlT!" I can not relate to them as I have never tasted this food.

ricdaman
12-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Ok, theres 2 more I've never tried. And for the same reasons. If I puke at the sight or smell of it, it's not getting near my mouth. Period.

daryn
12-10-2004, 03:39 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
All you adventurous people...what have you encountered that you can't bring yourself to try?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have never been able to not try a food, and every food i've ever eaten, i could eat again.

we're talking about food here, not like live insects or anything. yes i am aware that people do eat them in some parts of the world.

Q8offsuit
12-10-2004, 03:57 AM
Cole Slaw
Mayonnaise
Cottage Cheese
Sour Cream
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Any kind of Salad Dressing
Pickled Eggs
Cauliflower
Black Olives
Sauerkraut

but I have eaten Frog Legs, Squid, Octopus, Bear, Alligator, Wild Boar... basically everything that moved at one time... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
12-10-2004, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cole Slaw
Mayonnaise
Cottage Cheese
Sour Cream
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Any kind of Salad Dressing
Pickled Eggs
Cauliflower
Black Olives
Sauerkraut

but I have eaten Frog Legs, Squid, Octopus, Bear, Alligator, Wild Boar... basically everything that moved at one time... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty standard.

thatpfunk
12-10-2004, 05:12 AM
Never tried a hamburger, hot dog, bacon, pork chops, steak, etc. I was raised a vegetarian and only recently have begun to eat chicken in small amounts.

FWIW, I have no urge to try red meat. It doesn't seem appetizing.

AncientPC
12-10-2004, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Never tried a hamburger, hot dog, bacon, pork chops, steak, etc. I was raised a vegetarian and only recently have begun to eat chicken in small amounts.

FWIW, I have no urge to try red meat. It doesn't seem appetizing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw the coleslaw and the guac, this guy's a vegitarian! *gasp*

I pretty much will try anything at least once, and the only thing I haven't liked yet are &amp;#26408;&amp;#32819; (no idea on how to pronounce it in English).

theBruiser500
12-10-2004, 06:42 AM
sour cream
peanut butter

Rick Nebiolo
12-10-2004, 07:00 AM
My Mom has never had fish or seafood of any sort.

I've never had chicken fried steak and am not even sure what the heck it is /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

Duke
12-10-2004, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never had chicken fried steak and am not even sure what the heck it is

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a steak, and they fry it, and I don't know what the chicken part means. Maybe the chicken does the actual frying.

~D

offTopic
12-12-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The only thing I've seen at a sushi restaurant I'm not willing to try is natto. I'm fairly open-minded when it comes to food, just not quite enough for that. (Natto is a sticky, stringy blob of fermented soybeans. The smell brings to mind rotten peanut butter.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this while on vacation in Okinawa...let's just say I'm sure it's an acquired taste (and I haven't made that acquisition).