PDA

View Full Version : Reviewing WB's Picks

09-05-2001, 08:37 AM
Negative comments galore about me. Don’t want to answer all posts individually so I’ll answer them all here.

WB -- South Carolina -19.5 … South Carolina 48 Boise St. 14

WB claims that USC covers19.5 easy before game. USC is lucky to win by 19. USC blocks chip shot field goal at end of first half and run it in for TD. BSU goes for 2 pt. conversion in 4th qtr and miss. A push is claimed by WB as he said he got it at –19. Pathetic but typical as he clearly predicted a big blowout.

WB -- Washington St already won easily, this could be the surprise team of the Pac 10, but they easily handled a lower level team in a rivalry matchup they had revenge motivation for.

Prediction unclear.

WB -- Colorado worried me with their less than sharp performance, but I think there is a definite talent edge here early in the season as Lubick will have to get his JUCOs up to speed. Number is reasonable, but the lack of execution and the rivalry nature of this game makes me pause.

No bet.

WB -- Bowling Green has nowhere to go but up. Missouri lost a rare talent for themselves in Smith and could be looking at rebuilding this year. Hard though to support a lower level team on the road after a 2-9 year, but BG could be close to the top of the MAC come year end.

WB -- Penn State will definitely have a better season despite the lack of returning starters. Paterno is loaded with talent coming in and they almost by default should play better. Miami is going to have to live up to its billing right here and boy this is a tough spot to open the season. The Canes could very well get upset here, this looks like a big trap. I made it pretty clear what I thought of Miami already, maybe this is the first chance for the public to see their lofty spot isn't quite warranted. Lions should have a great run defense this year and with green receivers for Miami they might have some trouble with the offense here.

WB Prediction Penn St. Miami is winning 30-0 at halftime before calling off the dogs and completely dominates Penn St.

WB -- Fresno State still looks good to me, but boy last week killed all line value here. In some ways its nice to see they can play at such a level before putting money on them, but without last weeks game I get more than a TD here. Still I like their chances for a straight up win as its a TV game for a program starving for attention. Fresno has some of the most loyal and vocal fans around, they have to be absolutely fired up for this one. Beavers will have to jump out to an early lead if they want to win here. Fresno's defensive speed surprised me and it will be very useful at stopping the outside runs of Simonton. Smith is an overrated QB, I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his job before year end. The guy threw for under 50% last year but his return is called a positive??? If the guy had a gun I could see it but he is mediocre armed and not the fastest runner either. This team has pretender written all over them.

Prediction no bet and FSU. This way WB gets to have it both ways. If FSU covers he claims a win if FSU loses he claims no bet as he wrote “ but boy last week killed all line value here.”

In another thread I asked him about betting FSU after they upset CU.

“Ok I'm way down after the "pick of the week" so do can I double up on FSU vs OSU? “

he wrote:

“I hate the number. Last week's game killed the value. I don't know if Fresno can play at that level two weeks in a row. I still like the game, but I was expecting 8-10 points here. If you can get 3.5 its still a play, but its not best bet of the week even.”

Hmmmmmmmmmm……………………

09-05-2001, 08:39 AM
xxxxxbbbb

09-05-2001, 03:18 PM
Grow up.

Either offer some analysis of games before the start, refute/contradict his picks before the games start or leave Wild Bill alone.

I bet that even you hit 70% when the games are over.

His FSU pick doesn't say no bet. It does say that the line has lost some of its value. It means that instead of taking a plunge on the game, he now takes a nibble. Later in the post he states that he likes them straight up. If that was the case, then as a 4+ point dog, FSU was still a wager.

He was wrong on PSU. Bad pick, bad analysis. It happens.

He is absolutely correct with respect to his analysis about the CU game and the BG game. He doesn't have to make a pick. He has to decide based on his opinion if either game offered value. My guess is that he took a nibble on both CU and BG. Both teams were worth taking based on his analysis and point spread.

WildBill doesn't claim to have picked 20 consecutive "Locks of the week" nor does he sell anything. He is here because he enjoys betting, discussing important topics and sharing his analysis with others.

09-05-2001, 03:43 PM
--Grow up.--

That's original.

--Either offer some analysis of games before the start, refute/contradict his picks before the games start or leave Wild Bill alone.--

A sports betting expert is what he claims to be.

--I bet that even you hit 70% when the games are over.--

His pick of the week and his "analysis" not mine.

--His FSU pick doesn't say no bet. It does say that the line has lost some of its value.--

WB about FSU -- "Last week's game killed the value."

"but boy last week killed all line value here"

all value isn't the same as some value.

-- It means that instead of taking a plunge on the game, he now takes a nibble. --

His posts don't say it.

-- Later in the post he states that he likes them straight up. If that was the case, then as a 4+ point dog, FSU was still a wager.--

Killed all value and then bet it straight up. What odds? He said no bet and FSU . At best his post was vague on what to bet probably unsure at worst gutless.

--He was wrong on PSU. Bad pick, bad analysis. It happens.--

Happening a lot for him the first 2 weeks.

--He is absolutely correct with respect to his analysis about the CU game and the BG game. He doesn't have to make a pick. He has to decide based on his opinion if either game offered value.--

Who in their right mind would do this.

-- My guess is that he took a nibble on both CU and BG. Both teams were worth taking based on his analysis and point spread.--

Again no explicit betting recommendations. CU comment by WB: "the rivalry nature of this game makes me pause." hmmm....

BG comments: "Bowling Green has nowhere to go but up. Missouri lost a rare talent for themselves in Smith and could be looking at rebuilding this year. Hard though to support a lower level team on the road after a 2-9 year, but BG could be close to the top of the MAC come year end."

Betting recommendation? hmmmm..........

--WildBill doesn't claim to have picked 20 consecutive "Locks of the week" nor does he sell anything.--

Claims to be a sports expert, seems to be wishy washy on many games.

-- He is here because he enjoys betting, discussing important topics and sharing his analysis with others.--

See above. Purposely vague is what he seems to be so he can claim to be right no matter what happens. Glaringly absent from your post was comments about his "plays of the week."

09-05-2001, 04:00 PM
Glaringly absent from your posts are any kind of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

wildbill puts up his thoughts on some games... big deal. You don't have to read them, you don't have to agree with them, you don't have to bet them, you don't have to do anything with them and you certainly don't have to pay for them. He got some games wrong... big deal.

Since you've decided to take the time to read and comment on wildbill's analysis, why don't you do that BEFORE the games are played. And while you are at it try being constructive in your criticisms. Any moron can mock wb's analysis after the fact.

09-05-2001, 04:03 PM
Better to remain silent and be THOUGHT a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

09-05-2001, 04:55 PM
I don't claim to be the expert, he does. I'll pin him down this week.

09-05-2001, 04:58 PM
Your harsh words are uncalled for. WB isn't a fool he's just cold and tentative.

09-05-2001, 06:27 PM
Well thanks for flying in and saving us from blindly following wildbill into bankruptcy.

When someone spends the time and effort to offer their analysis the LEAST one can do is show some RESPECT.

And when exactly did wildbill claim to be the EXPERT you seem so intent on saving us from?

Look Mom, I'm SUPERMAN I'm saving all these Lemmings from wildbill's faulty analysis!!!!

Good grief!

09-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Feist-

You have never offered anything of value to anyone here. Even if the guy completely sucked, which he doesn't, what is the purpose of your posting? Do you think someone is blindly following this guy's picks into the poorhouse?

Notice that no one except you was criticizing WB, but once you started to, everyone started criticizing you. What does that tell you?

09-05-2001, 07:04 PM
He's fair game since claims to be an expert handicapper. Do you get it yet?

09-05-2001, 07:10 PM
Saving you guys from WB? Where did you get that idea. The times he's held himself up to be an expert are numerous. Ask him he'll tell ya he is.

09-06-2001, 02:36 AM
Fine, maybe so, but in the world of academia you need to actually be an expert to shoot down another expert. Are you Jimbo? If so, prove it, there are a few people on here who can pick you apart too, myself included. So provide something beyond pointing out when other people lose a selection. If you're an expert I'll listen. But if not, I'll be happy to give you the same treatment you give Bill. Anyone can point out a losing selection, pal.

Later,

MDMAniac

09-06-2001, 06:15 AM
"Fine, maybe so, but in the world of academia you need to actually be an expert to shoot down another expert."

Get real.

09-07-2001, 01:24 PM
I think the key to this is for you Jim Feist to dispute WIldBill's analysis, not necessarily his pick, before the game is played. Remember, if his pick is correct for the wrong reason, that faulty reasoning should cost him money some time in the future.

When dealing in aspects of gambling where I am clearly an expert, (and betting sports is not one of those) I have never had trouble tearing apart someone who was a non-expert but claimed he was. All I did was concentrate on the material or concepts under discussion. Someone's personality was never an issue even though they would often attack back under those constraints. So my suggestion to you is again to explain before the game begins where WildBill's analysis is faulty. If you are correct, WildBill won't win enough of his picks to do very well. On the other hand, if WildBill is a good picker, this may show that some of your ideas are suspect.

My guess is that this type of debate will show that both of you know a good deal about betting football, and all of us will learn a few things.

Best wishes, Mason