PDA

View Full Version : what's your favorate time to play poker

rachelwxm
12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Since AleoMagus's spreadsheet has date and time as well as finishes as input, initially I talked to myself, "what a waste of time". /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Then I noticed that something interesting. My results are much better during weekends than weekdays. Also on weekdays, my results gets better and better toward midnight EST. I estimate there could easily be a 1/3 ROI difference between weekday and weekends.

Does any one else has noticed the same thing? Any one attempt a quantitative analysis on your results vs. time of the day/week?

FishBurger
12-09-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm a student, and I play poker all day and a good portion of the night while studying. There's no question in my mind that the games are easier after 5 PM EST up until about 2 AM or so.

When I play in the morning hours, 8 AM until around noon or so, I have trouble even getting to the money. About noon or so, I start doing better, and around 5 PM I start placing first. I don't keep stats, but I experience the same pattern pretty much every day. I wouldn't even play in the morning, but playing SnGs help me get through those boring morning classes (my school has wireless Internet).

If you do a search for Gigabet's posts, I believe you'll find one where he lists his ROI at different periods of the day. If I remember correctly, he experienced the best ROI in the evening, also.

AleoMagus
12-10-2004, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no question in my mind that the games are easier after 5 PM EST up until about 2 AM or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. We should really bring this up more in ROI conversations. IMO This has a big impact on what is possible, and what a solid ABC player can earn.

Regards
Brad S

Apathy
12-10-2004, 02:20 AM
I do not have any stats to back this up either (though I should soon thanks to the AMAZING ultimate excel sheet) but I have experienced the softer play on evenings and weekends and quite frankly I have never considered this unusual it always just seemed intuitively obvious to me that less serious and worse players would play when they were just getting home from work (they HAVE to have day jobs /images/graemlins/grin.gif) and on the weekends.

What I have never really considered was if I am only making money during these times or If I am making A LOT more or a little more, I only know I am winning overall, I will be curious to find out using the time beakdown on the excel sheet.

I think a lot of the ridiculous moves i see at night just HAVE to be explained by people playing drunk, no other way I can comprehend why some people make some of the moves they do.

Turk
12-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Yep, never known alcohol to make dumb folks smarter.

AleoMagus
12-10-2004, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of the ridiculous moves i see at night just HAVE to be explained by people playing drunk, no other way I can comprehend why some people make some of the moves they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't underestimate the first great stupid inducing force of poker

TILT.

After an evening of losing, players just know that odds be damned, even in the face of unflinching aggression, this inside straight draw is worth pushing. After all of that losing they are surely due.

Regards
Brad S

Daliman
12-10-2004, 05:05 AM
I rarely play SNG's during the day. Too many tight scandinavians, etc. I like playing against the guy who got home from work, pet the dog, had dinner, and wants to play some poker before the goes to bed.

God bless those guys!

Same can be said for the weekend players. Many more recreational players on the weekend, for sure.