PDA

View Full Version : Beating an odd home-game (small to mid-stakes)

BigBaitsim (milo)
12-09-2004, 01:30 PM
These guys keep tinkering, hoping that they will find a structure that will "keep everyone from chasing, because good hands never hold up around here." It is a table of complete fish. They've played together for years, but they all suck. The table V$IP is probably 75% and they will NEVER three-bet without the nuts. They all have typical superstitious beliefs about certain cards being "hot" and most always play their "favorite hand," which is usually something like T8o. It is rare to not go to SD, and two or three will stay in drawing at gutshots (or runner-runner to the low when Omaha is the game).

The structure is 5-10-10-20, with one $5 blind and a $5 cut for the house from every pot over $100. I typically play very tight and aggressive, and after an hour of folding all but one hand (which I limped in on, then folded on the flop), 8 still call my UTG raise, which is sweet. I'm beating the game, but feel I should be making much more.

Any thoughts on my approach? I see 20-25% of flops and try to push them anytime my hand is good. They play very passively, and love to slow play, even slow playing TPNK to raise on the river. They bitch about KK not holding up, so they never raise with it on the flop (if they hit a set, they slowplay and if they miss, they assume they are beat and call it down).

I know this is a sweet game, and I'm looking to maximize my profits from it. Any thoughts?

Bob T.
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
The structure is 5-10-10-20, with one $5 blind and a $5 cut for the house from every pot over $100.

They don't want 'chasing', and they make a structure with a very big bet at the end, to increase the implied odds of any hand that actually does get there on the river? It seems like an ideal structure for playing implied odds hands, where you have a chance to get paid well at the end.

Edited to include - I like the houses cut. Do they provide a meal and beverages, or is the rake all for profit.

I know this is a sweet game, and I'm looking to maximize my profits from it. Any thoughts?

If this is in Minnesota, how do I get invited /images/graemlins/grin.gif?

Festus22
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
In hyper loose-passive games, the value of high implied odds type hands such as suited connectors, suited aces and small pairs goes up while stuff like A-Jo and K-10o go down. It also appears from the betting structure you can limp a ton for cheap so I'd look to see a bunch of flops trying to hit big hands or big draws.

BigBaitsim (milo)
12-09-2004, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The structure is 5-10-10-20, with one $5 blind and a $5 cut for the house from every pot over $100.

They don't want 'chasing', and they make a structure with a very big bet at the end, to increase the implied odds of any hand that actually does get there on the river? It seems like an ideal structure for playing implied odds hands, where you have a chance to get paid well at the end.

Edited to include - I like the houses cut. Do they provide a meal and beverages, or is the rake all for profit.

If this is in Minnesota, how do I get invited /images/graemlins/grin.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys are really uber-stooooopid when it comes to poker and think they know alot because they play alot. Sadly, it is in my current hometown and I will be leaving it behind in a few weeks. They play a couple times a week, though, so I'll get a few more cracks at it.

Anyone within an hour or so of Farmville, Virginia can PM me for info on the game.

Entity
12-09-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The structure is 5-10-10-20, with one $5 blind...

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn dude, nice game selection. It seems to me (like others have said) that you're gonna want big multiway hands, and since these guys play passively postflop, you'll often have the ability to continue with weaker draws than normal, given the bigger payoffs on the river (by 3-4 people, no less). Obviously big pair hands like AK are still gonna be playable, but it seems like hands like 78s and 44 are gonna be the bread and butter of this game.

That's my thoughts, at least.

I'd probably also play a lot more hands in position (hands like Q8s and maybe even J7s OTB), since against loose-passives you can raise for free cards and such a lot more often, and you'll still get paid off on the river when you hit.

Sounds like a fun game.

Rob