PDA

View Full Version : Preflop questions

Victor
12-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Not sure where to post this so I will ask you guys.

I just got pokertracker and have a few questions about vpip and preflop play.

1. How fast does vpip converge?
2. What is a good rate?
3. What is aggression factor and how fast does it converge?
4. What is a good aggression factor rate?

BTW I play 3-6 on party.

Also, is there a better place to discuss such pokertracker stats (here or at another forum)?

I am interested in this because I just started using pokertracker and over 7500 hands my vpip is 14.11%. This seems very low from what I have read from others. I am even more concerned since I was recently critized for being too loose in the blinds.

By too loose, I have been completing in the small blind with 4 limpers with any2suitedconnectors (2 gappers) and with 5 limpers any2suited. In the BB I have been calling raises with any2suited so long as I was getting 7.5:1

So it seems I need to loosen up a ton in late position.

Of course, this could mean nothing if the sample size is too small but I would think that vpip would converge fairly quickly.

Any help is appreciated.

Octopus
12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure where to post this so I will ask you guys.

I just got pokertracker and have a few questions about vpip and preflop play.

1. How fast does vpip converge?
2. What is a good rate?
3. What is aggression factor and how fast does it converge?
4. What is a good aggression factor rate?

BTW I play 3-6 on party.

Also, is there a better place to discuss such pokertracker stats (here or at another forum)?

[/ QUOTE ]

So many questions. First, the pokertracker forums or the software forum might be good for pokertracker specific questions. As for desirable stats, try a search; this gets discussed every couple weeks. But start with bisonbison's excellent notes on notes (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=923884&fp art=1&PHPSESSID=) post.

Vpip converges so fast you needn't worry about it. (700 hands is way more than enough to get a good idea; 7,000 is ... more than more than enough.) I haven't really figured out how fast aggresssion factor converges; I would note though that the tighter you are, the slower it converges. Again, 7,000 should be well more than enough to get a solid idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Any help is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may not qualify as help, but:

1) Get Small Stakes Holdem if you haven't already. It will shed much light on your pre-flop decisions.

2) Worry more about post-flop play than pre-flop play. Yes, you should probably be somewhat looser pre-flop, but it probably isn't costing you too much at this level (asuming you play well pre-flop in ways not captured by VP$IP).

Rico Suave
12-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Victor;

7500 hands is definitely enough to get a good handle on your VP$iP. Your 14ish% figure is close to mine, and I, like you, wonder how others are playing so many hands. I am also fairly liberal with calling raises out of the BB, and I frequently call from LP with hands like J7s, 96s, Kxs, and the like. I dunno........just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

--Rico