PDA

View Full Version : Glaus to Arizona

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Sorry Zeno,

But why would anyone want to sign with Arizona?

4 year deal close to 25 mill apparently.

nolanfan34
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Has that been officially reported yet? I've only seen that as a rumor.

I also don't know why anyone would sign with Arizona, especially Glaus, who could easily sign with a winner like Boston, or stay on the West Coast and sign with the M's, or LA if they lose Beltre.

F'in Mariners, talking about Corey Koskie. And if I don't see an article soon mentioning their interest in Matt Clement, I'm going to go postal.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
if they sign Delgado, Koskie is serviceable at 3rd, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Basically the M's are limited to one big name, Delgado may be it.

andyfox
12-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Some guys want to live where they want to live, no matter the quality of the team.

Glaus is apparently a laid-back, not terribly competitive guy. His college coach (UCLA) told me they printed out a set of instructions for him (I've seen it) on exactly what they wanted him to do in the on-deck circle. It involved slamming down the pine tar rag and other things to try to get his competitive juices flowing.

BTW, he also told me, when Glaus was drafted, that he was going to win a batting title some day. I don't think that will ever happen, but he did win a home run title.

cab4656
12-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I was hoping my Tigers would sign him. Then again, I guess we'll settle for Beltre. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
yeah I guess so man, this just seems like a terrible career decision, but he does have a ring, so maybe he just wants to get paid now. Arizona is a team with literally no upside. Their best player wants out, then their next best player is old, then they really have no other good players., anywhere.

Zeno
12-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Last season the Diamondbacks won, I think, 51 games. This next season it may jump up to 60! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I thought they were going to unload Sexson to the M's.

Anyway, all next seasons baseball hopes will rest with the M's and it looks like the front office will botch things up again. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Feh!

-Zeno

MarkL444
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping my Tigers would sign him. Then again, I guess we'll settle for Beltre. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] A right we will.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
I am not sure what the M's will do, but the only good news thus far is they haven't messed up yet.

MarkL444
12-09-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure what the M's will do, but the only good news thus far is they haven't messed up yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, thanks for guillen

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, thanks for guillen

[/ QUOTE ]Oh, we will be thanking you years to come for Ramon Santiago /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jcx
12-09-2004, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Zeno,

[/ QUOTE ]

You could've asked that same question after their dreadful inagural year. This is not to say they will win the WS again anytime soon (They certainly won't be going on another spending spree like they did in 99-00) but teams' fortunes can change very fast in today's game. Witness the rags-riches-rags-riches of the Marlins. If some things fall into place I don't believe .500 is out of the question for AZ in 2005. They certainly can't play any worse.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 03:25 PM
.500, not out of the question? You are delirious. You really think they can win at least 81 games next year? The M's will be lucky to win that many, and their team is a lot better than Arizona's.

DesertCat
12-09-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's a 4 year/45M deal. AZ horribly overpaid a guy of questionable health who's can no longer field his position well. The good news is they didn't throw this money at Richie Sexson. At least Glaus came back from surgery and showed his power was still intact, so I'm guessing while he's healthy AZ could have a good hitting first baseman. But of course AZ's management is dumb enough that they'll probably let him play third.