PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Rookie on a Roll - Need Help

HammerinHank
12-09-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm not trying to toot my own horn. I really need some guidance.

I'm a winning 20/40 player. I've played a few low buy in live MTT's and lately have been playing some $120 buy in satellites for Bay 101's WPT events. In nine tournaments I have been in the top 20 eight times, cashed 4 times, and made three final tables. Today I was third and won my second $2000 seat. The thing is I don't really have any no limit experience outside of these tournaments. I've read some books on the subject but they are not nearly as detailed at HPFAP, for example, so a few times a day I find myself in situations where I really have no idea what I should do.

For example yesterday:

I'm down to 4 or 5 BB's. Last two tables but the money starts in fifth place. I'm on the button with QJo and the guy on my right opens raises. He has a medium stack. Do I move in? I know it's player dependent but what kind of things should I consider?

Again 4 or 5 BB's at the final table 8 handed. I'm in the BB with JTs, it's folded to the small blind who moves in. He has a short stack too. Do I call?

I folded both of the above. I might have considered moving in with similar hands if it was folded to me but I didn't like calling with them.

Six handed at the final table (money to the top five). I have the second smallest stack and the short stack is getting the blinds before me. I folded 99 and TT on consecutive hands when it was folded to me in the cutoff and on the button. Was this correct, or some kind of super tight weak insanity?

What do I do with a rag ace when it's folded to me in late position and I have a medium stack in the middle rounds? At the final table but out of the money?

Three handed and I'm on the button with A9o. Chip leader has about 3/4 of the chips. Other guy and I are about even. I moved in. Good play or should I play very tight and wait for the other guy to go out so I can get the chip leader heads up?

I saw two player fold AKo to reraises. Is this ever correct against typical players?

Some feed back would be appreciated so I can see if I'm making good decisions by the seat of my pants. Where can I get good info on NL math, odds, etc? And yes, I'll be spending a lot more time on this forum because if I'm going to play a $2000 buy-in event I had better get my act together so I don't embarrass my self in front of some hottie like Annie Duke.