PDA

View Full Version : I would like feed back on this $5-10 B&M hand.

steamboatin
12-09-2004, 09:14 AM
I am on the button, UTG posts a live straddle, Utg+1 posts another so it is $20 to see the flop if no one raises. Three people limp, if you can call $20 in a 5-10 game limping so I call with Ah4h. Both blinds fold, UTG calls and UTG+1 checks. 12 BB in the pot preflop. Flop is 944 rainbow.

My read on these guys is they are terrible poker players. Two are LAGs, the rest are weak tight and passive unless they have a monster. Obviously it was the two LAGs that straddled.

UTG bets, UTG+1 raises everybody except one calls. I didn't reraise because I was going for overcalls. There was lots of dead money to win if MHIG. Turn is a blank, UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, three of us call. River appears to be a blank. UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, one caller and I raise. UTG reraises, folded to me. I think I am ahead, I am sure UTG has a 4 and I don't believe his hole card paired. UTG had bet some marginal hands pretty agressively so I felt good about my A kicker but I still have weak tight tendancies and I had lost two big pots just recently to the river filling one guy's boat to my flush and making another guy a better straight so I probably was a little timid.

Anyway, I just call. I wll post the results later.

Given the fact that my opponents were poor players and I was pretty sure there would be 12 BB in the pot preflop, am I right to call $20 with Ah4h? Ah4h isn't strong against a raise but the live straddles and blinds were behind me and they are random hands so I felt good about my call. I knew I was gambling but the two LAGs were going to build a giant pot if they had any little piece of the flop. I don't know the exact size of the pot but it was more than 30 BB.

A_C_Slater
12-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Wouldn't a second straddle make it $15 to call? I would insta fold A4s. I would want at least AJs to call here, maniacs or no maniacs.

Rico Suave
12-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Steamboatin:

I am no expert, but I would muck in this spot. Coming in behind 3 limpers in an essentially unraised pot (meaning a dominating ace is not necessarily likely) may seem like a no brainer call with A4s, but the 2 live straddles changes things, imo. It is not like you are just playing for higher stakes, you are actually paying a ton more up front, so your implied are really crushed. A4s, while having some big card strength, really thrives on multiway action and implied odds--get in cheap, and make your money when you hit your draw/hand. You are paying a hefty price to flop a flush draw here. That is why I think it should be mucked.

--Rico

steamboatin
12-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I show down trip fours with an ace kicker and the LAG shows down trip fours with a seven kicker. I drag a monster pot.

I understand that just because something works, it may not be the correct play so that is why I wanted feedback. I thought hard about calling the $20,(Grand Victoria has a strange straddle rule. Straddles basically make it $10-20 for the first round and then it drops back to $5 after the flop).

I knew I was gambling but I was up against total fish and I felt it was the right play. A good poker player is supposed to be able to read his opponents and know if he has an edge and how big the edge is. I would like to think that is what I did but I might be a fish that got lucky.

prayformojo
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG bets, UTG+1 raises everybody except one calls. I didn't reraise because I was going for overcalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Help me understand this. The blinds folded. The only person to overcall is UTG. Gettin one overcall is not in itself worth the loss of value by not raising here. You called 3SB pre-flop: you must have known that in order to have the odds to do so you have to make up bets post-flop.

If you had called the flop planning to raise the turn, trapping more players for bigger bets and giving up a small advantage early to push a larger advantage later, I could see your reasoning, but I don't understand calling down two bets on the flop and turn. Against LAGs and fish, why not get money in the pot while the getting is good?

Victor
12-09-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
,(Grand Victoria has a strange straddle rule. Straddles basically make it $10-20 for the first round and then it drops back to $5 after the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

This really kills your implied odds and hands like Axs thrive on implied odds.

However, the maniacs in the hand willing to go too far for too many bets helps your implied odds some.

Still, I like folding here preflop.

AS for your play, you should definitely raise the turn. You have 3 players trapped between you and a lag. No one is going anywhere for 1 more bet in this pot with any sort of pair or draw so make them pay.

MoreWineII
12-09-2004, 12:56 PM
So there were 5 "limpers" to you preflop? The two straddles and 3 callers?

I understand that you are paying more to see a flop, but knowing that if you hit your hand, you're going to get a ton of action (two LAG's + calling stations) and that nobody has legitimately raised yet, I might be tempted to sneak in also with Axs.

I wonder about playing the flop and especially the turn a little more aggressively though. With two LAG's and a bunch of calling stations, I think you may have left some bets on the table.