PDA

View Full Version : Techie help ??

OrangeHeat
12-09-2004, 08:29 AM
So the second monitor is on the way, but I need techie help on which graphics card to get..

My machine has a Radeon 9600 All in wonder Media Center edition in it now. Unfortunately it only has one output.

I dont want to screw around with that one if I don't have to. Rather I would like to get a PCI graphics card for the second monitor - this is where I have no clue..which one, what specs do I need???

If I can stick with Radeon it would be nice. THe new monitor is the 20.1" 2001fp and the old monitor running is A 21" Sony E540.

I'd like to run them at 1600x1200 on each monitor or 3200x1200 combined desktop space.

Thanks for any help!

Orange

OrangeHeat
12-09-2004, 01:01 PM
^^help!

BradleyT
12-09-2004, 02:04 PM
You're inserting a new card anyway, why don't you want to "screw around" with your old card? There's 1 screw and 1 slider to remove it and 1 screw and 1 slider to put in a new one.

Anything cheap will run them such as a TI-4200 or FX-5200 ($80 or less for either) if you want nVidia.

OrangeHeat
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
I didn't want to take the Radeon 9600 out as it is a good card that is only 6 months old. All my cable/vcr/etc.. is already run through it for all the media center apps.

I figured if there was a good pci card that was out there it would be the best way to go - rather than upgrading to an all-in-wonder card with two outputs.

[ QUOTE ]
why don't you want to "screw around" with your old card? There's 1 screw and 1 slider to remove it and 1 screw and 1 slider to put in a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. I have no problem taking things in and out of the guts. I just don't want to have to buy another AGP card to replace a good one when I have available PCI slots.

Thanks for the help.

Orange