PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive on bubble against big stack?

texasrattlers
12-09-2004, 07:27 AM
Stars $6 Turbo, 4 players left, blinds 100/200

UTG 1100
Button 3700
SB (Hero) 3400
BB 5300

UTG and Button fold

Hero dealt JJ

Hero raises to 800, BB min raises, Hero all in, BB calls

BB has A9s and draws the flush on the river.

Sure I could have eased into third most likely. But if I win this pot I am in the drivers seat for 1st.

Did I play this right?

Sidekick
12-09-2004, 11:33 AM
You got your money in with the best hand. What more can you ask for? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

However, on the bubble in this situation I fold to the reraise. At this stage unless I have a truly dominating hand, then I'm not interested in getting into a conflict with anyone that has a bigger stack than I do.

I'm trying to finish ITM and THEN I'm going for first place. Being in the driver's seat is great, but I prefer to finish ITM and THEN worry about taking first.

So you read the situation correctly and got your money in with the best of it, but I still don't like the play. On the bubble I get so tight I squeek when it comes to a hand I will play against a reraise.

If I come across as critical it is not intentional, I just prefer to make sure I finish ITM.

UMTerp
12-09-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't think it's terribile, but calling the min-raise and pushing/calling against undercards on the flop (there's about a 100% chance the BB will bet out on the flop) is another alternative. You'll get an undercards flop about 50% of the time. If scare cards come, you can fold and still not be the short stack. That's the line I'd usually take - the min-raise is kinda scary.