PDA

View Full Version : Queens no good here?

Burno
12-09-2004, 04:35 AM
3rd hand of stars $15 turbo.

Hero and Villian have starting stacks of ~1500. Blinds 10/20.

Villian is UTG+1, Hero is in MP.

Dealt to Hero, Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG folds, Villian makes it 60. Folded to Hero who makes it 160. Folded back to villian who min re-raises to 260. Hero calls.

Pot ~520.

FLOP 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villian bets 520.

Hero?

viennagreen
12-09-2004, 06:32 AM
the min-reraise preflop is suspicious... but it's a $15 turbo, and people do silly stuff.

would the guy immediately go all-in on the flop with aces or kings (or a nine or pocket fours)? if he had bet 300, i would be more likely to think you might be behind.

you should be ahead here. i would call. Villian most likely has JJ, TT, 88, or AK.

Pepsquad
12-09-2004, 06:38 AM
The min re-raise and auto-flop push smells like AA or KK. I'm betting you're behind.

AlwaysWrong
12-09-2004, 07:31 AM
Unless the Villian is crazy or new, you're behind.

Sidekick
12-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Tough call, but I would call.

I see people early on come back over the top with min reraises with hands like TT, JJ, AK and AQ all the time (even trash hands like Axs and Axo), especially early in the tourney when chip stacks are large relative to the blinds.

If you have AA or KK here why would you push? If I have AA or KK and raise to 60 and get reraised to 160 and then called after a min reraise, I wouldn't put my opponent on any hand that would beat my AA or KK on that board. I would make a small bet and hope my opponent reraises or try for a check raise. Pushing here looks to me like a weaker hand that the bettor is trying to protect or a hand like AK that missed and villain is trying to buy the pot or hoping you don't have a pair to beat his A high.