PDA

View Full Version : Pickled eggs?

Blarg
12-09-2004, 04:12 AM
Well, Homer Simpson eats 'em, and he's someone whose opinions I've grown to trust.

Does anyone else eat them? They weren'[t mentioned in the big pickle thread this last week. Or did people stop eating them 50 years ago? Are they an urban legend? I know they pickle weirder things, like gefilte fish. I think the only place I've heard of pickled eggs being served is in bars.

Are they any good? Sounds like such a weird thing to pickle. I guess you hard boil them and toss them in vinegar. I wonder if they're worth trying -- sounds more disgusting than anything, but I have to admit, I'm curious, in a frightened sort of way.

PokerNoob
12-09-2004, 11:54 AM
You need to find an old-man or working class bar or pool hall. Look near the edges of industrial areas. If you are in the South, you may also find a rural roadhouse or "beer joint", these will have names like "Dew Drop Inn" or "Wheel Inn". In any case, you are going to have to get real downscale. You will know you are in the right place when you walk in and there's a couple of old barflys and the place smells like stale cigar smoke. Sit at the bar and order a draft. Don't ask the bartender what kind of beer they have, and don't order a cosmopolitan. Just say "gimme a draft". If you are lucky you'll get a halfway cold Pabst. Now, look at the ends of the bar. Oftentimes you will see large 5 gallon clear glass jars with various things floating in them. The pinkish things are pigs feet, also known as "trotters". The white things are pickled eggs. If there are reddish round things, those are pickled eggs in beet juice. After a while, ask the bartender for an egg, a bag of chips and the Texas Pete. Now grab that ole egg and take a bite out of it. Savor the pickley goodness. Take a swig of the draft. Now liberally apply the Texas Pete to the bitten off portion of the egg, and take another bite. Continue until done. If you're feeling especially brave, you may now tell the bartender "lemme have one of them trotters". Warning: once you have done this, things can never go back to the way they were. You will also discover the joys of pickled egg farts.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Or you can go to any bar in the UP of Michigan. The experience is much the same, but no pig's feet.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-09-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to find an old-man or working class bar or pool hall. Look near the edges of industrial areas. If you are in the South, you may also find a rural roadhouse or "beer joint", these will have names like "Dew Drop Inn" or "Wheel Inn". In any case, you are going to have to get real downscale. You will know you are in the right place when you walk in and there's a couple of old barflys and the place smells like stale cigar smoke. Sit at the bar and order a draft. Don't ask the bartender what kind of beer they have, and don't order a cosmopolitan. Just say "gimme a draft". If you are lucky you'll get a halfway cold Pabst. Now, look at the ends of the bar. Oftentimes you will see large 5 gallon clear glass jars with various things floating in them. The pinkish things are pigs feet, also known as "trotters". The white things are pickled eggs. If there are reddish round things, those are pickled eggs in beet juice. After a while, ask the bartender for an egg, a bag of chips and the Texas Pete. Now grab that ole egg and take a bite out of it. Savor the pickley goodness. Take a swig of the draft. Now liberally apply the Texas Pete to the bitten off portion of the egg, and take another bite. Continue until done. If you're feeling especially brave, you may now tell the bartender "lemme have one of them trotters". Warning: once you have done this, things can never go back to the way they were. You will also discover the joys of pickled egg farts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you?