PDA

View Full Version : 99 in the BB

spacemonkey57
12-09-2004, 01:52 AM
SB is really Laggy preflop (VPIP 72, PFR 23) and passive postflop. Button is a rock.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Is this a standard raise in the BB preflop?

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

I figured the lag would bet any K or T on the flop, so I took a stab at the pot. When the rock called I figured I might be behind.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...

What's my action? Is folding to the LAG's bet when the third overcard that puts a three flush on the board OK? I didn't figure either of them for the straight with no pf raise, but I thought the pot was too small to fight over with an underpair, and a lot of weak drawing outs. Thoughts?

bmxreed36
12-09-2004, 03:47 AM
In this situation, I usually don't like to raise it before the flop. I can see the flop for no extra money to see if it's low cards or if a 9 comes and a raise will probably get neither one of them to fold. But more importantly, the "rock" very likely has two overcards and position so it's difficult to play any flop with any overcard. This flop is exactly what I wouldn't want. I like the bet since the small blind probably has nothing and the late player will fold if he hasn't hit. His call tells me he has a pair and is only not raising because of your show of strenght pre-flop. He could also have AQ or AJ, maybe spades. The fold on the turn is the easiest decision in the world to me. Three overcards, a straight and a flush possible, two opponents calling bets on the flop and one betting out on the turn. No good draw for you. Good fold.

J.R.
12-09-2004, 04:22 AM
But more importantly, the "rock" very likely has two overcards and position so it's difficult to play any flop with any overcard.

Uhh, its not to hard to bet and watch him fold most of the time, and to shut down when he does call on an overcard board becuase he will have you beat (unless the board is very drawy, cause rocks don't semi-bluff).

J.R.
12-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Is folding to the LAG's bet when the third overcard that puts a three flush on the board OK?

[ QUOTE ]
SB is really Laggy preflop (VPIP 72, PFR 23) and passive postflop

[/ QUOTE ]

mantasm
12-09-2004, 04:28 AM
I like the raise PF and I think the fold is OK. You're almost always behind here and the pot is small. You'd need 8 or 9 outs to call here and I don't think you have them.

Moozh
12-09-2004, 06:11 AM
I think you played it fine. I would raise here every time. The button was in prime stealing position, but didn't raise. That suggests he has a weakish holding. SB also just called. You very likely have the best hand here.

Pretend like you have the king and bet the flop. You're hoping they fold. When they don't it's time to re-evaluate your situation.

Getting bet into on the turn with three overcards and the flush out should be enough for you to let this one go.

CinnamonWind
12-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Dead easy fold.

Siingo
12-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Fold! Atleast button has you beat....

eagletmr
12-09-2004, 07:12 AM
I would take this same line, you can raise preflop and bet the flop so that the rock folds if he didn't hit one of his overs, if he calls you can slow down, get some extra value out of the SB preflop with this raise.

Also, easy fold on turn.

Festus22
12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't think this is a no-brainer fold as some have said.

There is a 24% chance either opponent has the A, Q or 10 of spades. So your 9 is good 76% of the time when you spike a spade on the river. Discounting your outs, 9 x 0.76 = 6.8. Also, the two 9 outs may be tainted but certainly not worthless so let's say they're good for one more out. So you have 7.8 outs getting 5.5:1 immediate odds to call.

You're basically even money to call or fold.

spacemonkey57
12-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks all, TT and 99 have been real problem hands for me. I folded and the button called. THe river was a blank and the button had 86o, but the rock had QTo and had me beat on the flop.

Festus22
12-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Just curious - was rock's Q a spade?

spydog
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Uh...you have a 4-flush, double-belly buster, a pair, and some fold equity on this scary board. Raise this turn and make the rock fold his weaker king or ten. Quit looking to make a 'good fold'.

I like your preflop raise. It is a must 3-handed.

spacemonkey57
12-09-2004, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious - was rock's Q a spade?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was red. My flush would have been good if it had hit, but I didn't think the pot size was worth drawing to it.

spacemonkey57
12-09-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Uh...you have a 4-flush, double-belly buster, a pair, and some fold equity on this scary board. Raise this turn and make the rock fold his weaker king or ten. Quit looking to make a 'good fold'.

I like your preflop raise. It is a must 3-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had made the straight with the Queen I lose to any ace. The flush draw loses to any Ace, Queen, or Ten of spades. Hitting a third 9 would have given a straight to anyone with a queen or an 8. I had a lot of outs, but most of them were dirty. The three 8 outs to the straight were the best I had, but even then there's a three flush on the board. If the pot had 10BB in it I consider raising here, but with only 5.5 I'm mucking. I just didn't think it was worth fighting over.