PDA

View Full Version : 99 with all undercards and paired board - Call down?

Axel F.
12-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Hey, I've been reading the forums here for several months and have finally decided to register and start posting. Anyway, hoping to get some advice on this hand. Raised the 99 pre-flop to steal the button, and MP1 has just sat down, so sadly no read on him. I'm using PT with Gametime, and UTG has high VP with low aggression. I hadn't seen him do much other than call and fold. MP1's sudden decision to bet into me on the turn is scary, and the pot is not that big, so not I'm not sure whether or not I want to call this down or not. Thanks for the help.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Grease
12-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Against an unknown, I'd probably call down too, unless UTG decides to check raise. You could raise here and fold to a three bet though, if you think he could be betting a flush draw w/an OESD.
Welcome to the forums.

Nick C
12-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Lots of Party 2/4 players do like to bluff when the board pairs. Plus, if he really had an eight, he might go for a checkraise. He also might not, but I'm more scared by a checkraise than a bet here.

Unfortunately, if MP1 was semi-bluffing a flush draw on the turn, he hit it on the river. I'd probably call the river bet too, but I wouldn't like doing so.

I think one thing to consider is raising the turn and folding to a 3-bet. But I haven't fully figured out yet when it's good to use that play, so I'd probably just call down, like you did.

ChessMan
12-09-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm no expert but I'd raise the turn against an unkown. I'd fold if he three-bet.