PDA

View Full Version : Should flush draws be check called to the river?

zm87
12-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Should you check call a flush draw to the river in a limit game? Or is this being too much of a fish?

Also, when do you draw the line with check calling mid pair?

Thanks for your help.

BWebb
12-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Very dependent on the situation. You have to take into account: passive/aggressive nature of the table, number of opponents, position, how strong your draw is, was there a raise, etc. Lots to go into, post a few hands and I think it will be more useful.

Cooker
12-09-2004, 02:04 AM
How I play flopped 4 flushes is very situational dependent, but I will give you a few ideas of what I am thinking and I would appreciate any feedback on how I play them.

From early position if there was very little action preflop and there is no Ace or King on the board, I am betting. Basically I am betting most situations where I don't expect to get raised. My thinking is I am going to call if bet into, and I don't want to let 3rd pair catch a set for free. I also want to build the pot some. I might even make more outs if I have Ace rag suited and higher Aces fold. If there is a habitual flop bluffer acting just after me, I may check raise the flop, hoping to stick the whole table in for 2 bets. Actually, this is pretty much my line from middle position too. I am probably check calling the turn unless I get it heads up, in which case I may fire again.

Incidentally, I check almost every turn out of position. I feel like this disguises my missed draws well, and may help me get some free cards when I am drawing. Almost every low limit player will bet into a player that bets/raises the flop and then checks the turn, so this is a nice street to check raise with big hands too.

From late position, I am raising or betting to buy a free card, unless I sense a check raise due to the preflop action and texture of the flop. If there is a lot of action preflop and a lot of high cards fall and it is checked to me, I take the free turn, and hope to make them rue the day they try and check raise me.

As for the second pair question, I try to find out if my second pair is any good on the flop. If any A or K is on the flop, I am probably folding if bet into and betting if it is checked to me. Without the A or K on the flop, I may check raise a late position player trying to thin field and see if they are trying to bluff or not. I would also be inclined to raise if bet into me. I would rather spend 1 or 2 small bets on the flop to see if I might be good than 2 big bets to play it to a showdown. If there is a lot of aggression before me on the flop, then I am mucking for sure. I think folding second pair every time might be a better line than calling down every time unless the table will let you check the turn or river frequently. I think playing the flop aggressively gives you a chance to fold for only 1 or 2 small bets (as opposed the the 2 big bets showing down costs) when it is obviously not good, and you can still call down the times it might be good.

Michael Davis
12-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Baby flush draws in multiway but not too many multiway (3 or 4) pots with more than one high card on board should be played passively.

-Michael

nothumb
12-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Should you use Vagisil on a yeast infection?

I suggest you pick up Small Stakes Hold'Em by NPA Ed Miller.

NT

bdk3clash
12-09-2004, 02:25 AM
It's situational, but if I was forced at gunpoint to pick one way to play my flush draws all the time it would be to check and call until the river and then bet/raise if I hit my flush.