PDA

View Full Version : 98s -- I didn't used to do this preflop . . .

Nick C
12-08-2004, 11:23 PM
. . . but I guess sometimes it works out.

The table is somewhat loose and somewhat passive.

What should I do on the turn?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero . . . ?

BottlesOf
12-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Raise. I didn't like the one pf, though.

adamstewart
12-08-2004, 11:43 PM
On the river, you have the nuts, so I'm guessing your debate is whether you get more value from raising or simply calling and getting overcalls.

By only calling, you get a maximum of 2 more big bets (if BB and UTG both call).

By raising you're likely going to get, at the very minimum, 1 more big bet (with MP3 at least calling your raise). If you're lucky, though, you may also get BB and/or UTF to cold-call two more bets. If you're really, really lucky, someone may have hit trips and will re-raise you - Jackpot!.

IMHO, it's a clear raise.

Adam

adamstewart
12-08-2004, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise. I didn't like the one pf, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, you beat me to the response. Oh ya, I question the preflop raise too.

nepenthe
12-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Hi. Call the turn.

nothumb
12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
I think the PF raise is okay from time to time at a great table. This one seems marginal, but I don't dislike it, and I might do it sometimes.

I can see an argument for just calling the turn, IF you expect to be bet into again no matter what (i.e. this is not the type of opponent to bet because he picked up a flush draw) and IF you think both other players will VERY OFTEN fold for two bets here. Given poor, passive opponents, I doubt this is the case, so raise.

NT