PDA

View Full Version : Here's a strange one

BottlesOf
12-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Opponents are unknown

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (5.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

MoreWineII
12-08-2004, 10:32 PM
I sometimes get confused when to call a preflop raise with AQo.

Anyway, looks like AK is g00t.

BigEndian
12-08-2004, 10:36 PM
I play AK like this myself from time to time. Tough fold though, but a good one.

- Jim

colgin
12-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Looks fine to me. There is no way that an opponent who checked the turn through is bluff raising the river. Your hand is clearly no good here. Next hand.

Ralph Wiggum
12-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Interesting hand. Am I understanding this correctly? You bet the flop, hoping to take it down (prolly missed the PFR), or set up another bet on the turn to take it down. Once you hit the turn, are you planning to check/call, then bet the river? Once the King hits the river, you bet, cuz you'd call one bet and can fold to a raise. However, I don't see many hands that he'll call with that you can beat.

BottlesOf
12-08-2004, 10:59 PM
No not really....

I didn't re-raise preflop, because of the caller, this may have been a mistake. His open-raise indicates I'm putting him on a wider range of hands, so I like my hand at this point.

Fairly raggy flop, let's get it HU/bet my possible best hand.

I turn the best card I can, let's c/r it. (Had an ace fallen, I'd probably c/c, then bet the river)

He checks behind so I bet the river for value, unfortunately, it was a bad card for me, and his raise indicates my hand is likely no good, so I fold.

James282
12-08-2004, 11:32 PM
You need to three-bet this preflop. The hand will play pretty easily after that and you won't run into crappy situations on the turn, like you did.
-James

BottlesOf
12-08-2004, 11:34 PM
I don't consider the turn crappy, I just whiffed on my checkraise. Although, if you think this is an easy pfr 3-bet for value, I wouldn't take much convincing.

James282
12-08-2004, 11:51 PM
No, it was a crappy situation because you were out of position and he didn't bet. FWIW I would have played the turn the same way having played the hand this way up until this point. Sorry for the miscommunication. And yes, the PFR is for value and protection - even tight players raise with less than AQ from the CO.
-James

BWebb
12-09-2004, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No not really....

I didn't re-raise preflop, because of the caller, this may have been a mistake. His open-raise indicates I'm putting him on a wider range of hands, so I like my hand at this point.

Fairly raggy flop, let's get it HU/bet my possible best hand.

I turn the best card I can, let's c/r it. (Had an ace fallen, I'd probably c/c, then bet the river)

He checks behind so I bet the river for value, unfortunately, it was a bad card for me, and his raise indicates my hand is likely no good, so I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I check call the river. What hands that you beat can he have that he will call with? He raised the flop, so that narrows it down a little. He checked behind on the turn, I think that narrows it down a lot. The only possible hands would be AJ or A10. Is he going to call your river bet with those? I think there's more chance of him bluffing the river with a worse hand than calling with one.

Joe Tall
12-09-2004, 12:42 AM
3-bet preflop, knock out the BB and give yourself a better chance to win with a bet on the flop. The range of hands from a CO steal is surely behind AQ a large precentage of the time.

I like the flop bet but I don't like the turn check as too often it'll be checked through, bet.

Peace,
Joe Tall

BottlesOf
12-09-2004, 12:46 AM
I disagree, I think he'll call with worse Queens, and all kinds of pocket pairs.

BWebb
12-09-2004, 12:50 AM
He doesn't check the turn with a queen. He doesn't check with a pocket pair higher than a 9. So the real question is does he raise the flop with a pocket pair below a nine then not follow that up with a bet on the turn? I doubt it.

CinnamonWind
12-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Can't understand why you didn't bet the turn. You might get him to fold AK, and you're probably ahead. The check might have cost you the pot.

BWebb
12-09-2004, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't understand why you didn't bet the turn. You might get him to fold AK, and you're probably ahead. The check might have cost you the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I knew he had AK and I knew he would fold to a turn bet but call a river bet unimproved, I would check every time. Do you see why? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BottlesOf
12-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Yea, I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I made that reply. Disregard it.

CinnamonWind
12-09-2004, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I knew he had AK and I knew he would fold to a turn bet but call a river bet unimproved, I would check every time. Do you see why? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To give him a chance to win a pot you could simply take on the turn?

BottlesOf
12-09-2004, 01:05 AM
You're just playing, right?

sfer
12-09-2004, 01:16 AM
The pot is 6.5 BBs if he bets the turn. You want AK to call. Not betting and giving AK infinite odds to spike a K is a disaster.

BWebb
12-09-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The pot is 6.5 BBs if he bets the turn. You want AK to call. Not betting and giving AK infinite odds to spike a K is a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I was just talking about a very specific situation.