PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what year Matt Damon entered WSOP?

05-23-2002, 11:36 AM
I read an interview with Johnny Chan where he explained his involvement in the movie Rounders.

He said he was impressed with how quickly Damon picked up the game, and that Damon went on to enter the $10K WSOP event on his own dime and finished ahead of over 100 players (still out of money). I'd be curious to know what year he played and have a look at his stats.

Anyone know more about this?

05-23-2002, 12:22 PM
If you asked me to guess I would say it was 3 years ago - but I would happily stand corrected. I think Edward Norton entered as well.

Andy.

05-23-2002, 12:29 PM
He didn't play for his own money, it was paid for by the movie company that made Rounders (either that or by the WSOP organizers) - for PR purposes of course.

The year was 1998. Matt Damon was knocked out holding pocket KK vs. Doyle Brunson who held pocket AA.

05-23-2002, 02:27 PM
As well I believe Edward Norton was knocked out by Surinder Sunar when Norton had a full house and Sunar had quads.

There was also a charity game held with Norton, Damon, some of the writers/producers from Rounders, and Hellmuth. Hellmuth was the first one eliminated.

05-25-2002, 12:37 PM
Matt Damon played in the $10000 buyin event but I have it on good authority that no money was put up for himself or Ed Norton. I will defer to someone who has first hand knowledge of this. "Just the facts, mam."