PDA

View Full Version : What Party limits does HEFAP apply best to? 5/10? 15/30?

beachbum
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
When does HEFAP become more relevant to the game than SSH, and why? I've studied, read, reread, browsed, perused, memorized HEFAP but haven't read SSH yet. I'd like to hear opinions.

pfkaok
12-08-2004, 10:04 PM
From what I've heard, you'll very seldom find yourself at a table that is truly a "HEPFAP table". Certain concepts from the book apply anytime you're in a pot with other players who are solid, or at least reasonably thinking player, but often this isn't the case. Even in the higher limits, as long as you have a few players in your game who are way too loose, you should be able to apply SSHE. Also, even if there's only 2-3 players in your game like this, they're the ones who are going to be in most pots, and esp if you're raising a lot PF, they're the ones who are going to be coldcalling. So my understanding would be that even if you're in a game with 6 TA-A's, most of the times that you raise PF, you'll find thta after the flop you're up against 1-3 loosies, and/or 0-1 solid player. At that point you can apply SSHE.

So IMO, HEFAP will help you more in the mid/higher limits, however SSHE will help a ton at lower limits, and will at least help some in the bigger games.

beachbum
12-09-2004, 01:54 AM
Bump. Other thoughts?

Bigbetkid
12-09-2004, 02:09 AM
what's hefap?

beachbum
12-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Hold'em For Advanced Players, by Sklansky

Kimmo
12-09-2004, 04:12 AM
isn't it HEPFAP - Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players

Equal
12-09-2004, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
isn't it HEPFAP - Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's actually H'EfAdv.Plyrs.

sthief09
12-09-2004, 04:35 AM
HPFAP is great for any game, really, as long as you don't try to apply every concept. They have a lot of parts about playing against specific players, which is great, and lots of plays you can apply to any game. SSH is good because you cna apply it directly to a game. HPFAP is older so the games are different, but you can still extract a ton out of it.

bisonbison
12-09-2004, 04:42 AM
HEFPAP is the best in-depth analysis of hold'em concepts available, and is likely to remain the best for quite a while.

The danger nowadays, as sthief has indicated, is that the opponents described in the book to fill out some of the examples, are more competent than most of the opponents you will run into at any current midstakes game.

It's not that there aren't good players in the 15/30 game, or in your local 40/80, it's that HEFPAP, written at a different time in the popularity of poker, now tends to greatly overestimate your 'average' opponent.

As long as you take their tactical advice with a grain of salt (because it often vastly overestimates the hand strength your opponents need to call/bet/raise), the strategic concepts all apply.

beachbum
12-09-2004, 05:57 AM
So does SSH account for the "average" player being not as good, and tailor the advice accordingly? Essentially, is it the poker 'bible' for our generation?

I assume I need to read it to compliment my HEFAP and other poker knowledge/literature. So SSH advice will even apply to much of the 15/30 huh? You don't say.

Trix
12-09-2004, 11:11 AM
For me, itīs more a question about applying the concepts to the right situations more than applying it to certain limits.

A_C_Slater
12-09-2004, 01:25 PM
It doesn't matter what the limit is, if it's 1000-2000 and there's routinely 5-6 players to the flop then you would use SSHE as a base for your play. Likewise if it's a 1-2 game with an average of 3 or less to the flop then I would use HEPFAP as a guideline for my play.

3 or more on avgerage to flop SSHE.

3 or less on average to flop HEPFAP.