PDA

View Full Version : Shold i play this?

05-23-2002, 07:32 AM
Won a seat in a tourney, buy in is 330$ u get 3000 chips, blinds start at 25-50 and doubles every 25 minutes.

3 rebuys during the first 3 periods and one add-on. all of which give u 3000 chips for 300$.

My question is, should i play this tournament if i am not prepared to make rebuys or add-on? I know that they play will be pretty wild with lots of players prepared to make 3 rebuys. My bankroll is about 3K so selling this seat would increase my br by 10%... should i take a shot without the add-on, should i find the extra 300 it would take or should i sell my seat?

Thx for any input.

05-23-2002, 08:15 AM
It's a common misconception, over here anyway, that if you are in a tournament where other players are prepared to rebuy a lot more than you, you are at a disadvantage. For sure it's going to be more difficult to win (or make the money), but the payoff when you do will be proportionally higher. Providing all the rebuys and add-ons are the same chips-money ratio (which they are) you are not at a significant mathematical disadvantage.

Whether you are better off taking the $300 or playing depends on a lot of other things, mostly your quality of play vs. the field and how much you value the experience to be gained in this competition.

If you do play and you do feel you are surrounded by better players then make sure to go for it. If you can get your chips in 50-50, do it.

Good luck,

Andy.