PDA

View Full Version : When to Stop and Go?

morgan180
12-08-2004, 08:15 PM
I am having trouble with situations like this in my game:

6 left at a 2 table SNG

blinds 150/300

me on the button with ~1800 chips
big stack mid position with ~6500

big stack is playing rather laggish, but keeps turning up his occassional premium hands so that he can steal at will.

The rest of the table are tight medium stacks who will fold to any aggression unless they have a premium holding as well.

I get dealt 99 on the button.

everyone folds

Big stack raises to 775.

everyone else folds to me

(i am also confident that the blinds will fold as well - they're very tight)
Do you:

1. fold
2. call and play stop and go?
3. push over the top

I find that this comes up a lot in SNGs and I don't have a good handle on how to play it.

If I call I'm in for more than 1/3 of my stack, so whats the play?

wayabvpar
12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
I usually err on the side of aggression- I would shove. TT-AA have you drawing pretty thin, but you are ahead of a lot of hands a big, aggressive stack might play here.

I would reserve the stop and go for a bigger PP that isn't as likely to see an overcard on the flop...maybe QQ and up.

Marcotte
12-08-2004, 08:29 PM
I don't play 2 table sngs. How many get paid? If it's only 4 I'd be more inclined to push. You can't stop and go since your on the button. If you call he's going to put you all in on the flop unless it's uber-scary (and even then he might). If this is the bubble (ie 5 get paid). I think I'd fold.

TheDrone
12-08-2004, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would reserve the stop and go for a bigger PP that isn't as likely to see an overcard on the flop...maybe QQ and up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems totally backwards to me. The result of a stop-and-go, when played in the correct situation, is that you get more folds on the flop than you would get if you pushed preflop. With a premium hand like QQ+ you WANT the villain to call off his stack preflop rather than folding when he misses the flop.

morgan180
12-08-2004, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This seems totally backwards to me. The result of a stop-and-go, when played in the correct situation, is that you get more folds on the flop than you would get if you pushed preflop. With a premium hand like QQ+ you WANT the villain to call off his stack preflop rather than folding when he misses the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that's what I thought. I'd want to just call a hand like AK and then have enough to push to make them lay a hand down when they missed the flop.

I have a hard time deciding when to get it in all pre-flop or stop and go it. Are there any "standards" or conditions where it works better than all-in PF?

tigerite
12-09-2004, 05:09 PM
On the button I would push because you won't have position after the flop, to do the stop and go, unless he does something ridiculous like check, or underbet the pot. Both unlikely.

UMTerp
12-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Exactly. You can't do a stop and go when you're last to act.

wayabvpar
12-09-2004, 07:04 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of it looking like I was bluffing at a pot when I missed the flop with overs. I can see your point, however.