PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing with a good book over the Holiday???

Talk2BigSteve
12-08-2004, 07:34 PM
I am looking for a few good books to read over my Holiday Break from College. I want books that are literature not "How To" books, but it would be a bonus if poker was a theme.
I just finished a semester with the following classes: Accounting, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Business Statistics, and Business Calculus. I made 4 As and 1 B.
So believe me when I say I do not want to see formulas or statistics over my break. Anyone have any suggestions for good "Sit down in the Recliner and just read" books???

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SharkBait
12-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Positively 5th Street by James McManus and Poker Nation are both excellent reads.

As Zehn
12-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Last Man Standing or just about any other David Baldacci book. Or did you only want poker related books?

Talk2BigSteve
12-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Any would be good, but a poker them would be nice.

npc
12-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Nonfiction, but literature about poker. In order read:
Alvarez, A., "The Biggest Game in Town"
Holden, T., "Big Deal"
McManus, J., "Positively Fifth Street"

benfranklin
12-09-2004, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Positively 5th Street by James McManus and Poker Nation are both excellent reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

5th Street yes, Poker Nation no. Just read it, barely. The only thing that kept me going was that it was sort of about poker. It was mostly a rambling memoir about self-centered, uninteresting 20-somethings who manage to avoid responsibility by playing poker, cheating, and doing drugs. The cardinal sin in that desciption is uninteresting. The author and his friends are without insight or humor. I would have settled for one or the other.

I have a library that consists of any book, fiction or nonfiction, that involves poker and is at least average. I've even kept Phil's book. But Poker Nation is going bye-bye.

Kenrick
12-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Yep, I don't think you can do much better for a poker-themed book than "Positively Fifth Street." "Breaking Vegas" is a pretty good read for blackjack, albeit sensationalized. Any Ken Uston book has great (and true) blackjack stories as well.
And then there's "Howling Mad" by Peter David. A werewolf bites a wolf who then turns into a man during full moons. A nice way to kill a few hours. I also don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed "Sandman: Dream Country." The Shakespeare story won some rare award, and the "Dream of a 1000 Cats" is sure to stay with any animal lover for the rest of their lives. Check out the amazon reviews if you doubt me.

Above all else, The Little Prince is must-reading for those who haven't done so. Don't read the newer, blue-cover translated version. It just doesn't read right like the previous version does. I really doubt few books short of the Bible have affected so many people as The Little Prince has done. It helps to remind what is important in life, and reminds why one particular rose is different from 1000 identical-looking roses. And when you look up at the stars at night, it will be a mean trick I'll have played on you....

1C5
12-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Trust me, you will like Bringing Down the House if you like blackjack at all. Fun book.

TrumpchumP
12-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Has only been mentioned once...."Biggest Game in Town" by Alvarez is now rereleased, and is easier to find. It's by far the best written story on Poker.

Warning 30-40% of "Positively 5th St." is about the Benny Binion murder trial. If you want to focus on Poker, then this will drive you nuts.

Poker Nation was a favorite of mine for a great overview of poker, but I did read it very early in my poker learning curve. So the initial reviewer may have a point about it centering around some 25 yr olds antics, but I found it funny and interesting.

Biggest Game In Town is first on my list.

ThomasJoe
12-10-2004, 02:11 AM
If you have not read The Da Vinci Code it is a good read, but it is a mystery and has nothing to do about poker or gambling. I also enjoy reading John Grisham novels. Good job on your grades!

plaster8
12-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Holden's "Big Deal" is a wonderful book that doesn't get mentioned often. Nice call.

And for the record, I thought "Poker Nation" was a fun read.

Has anyone read "Shut Up and Deal" by Jesse May? I read it a couple years ago and seem to remember it was OK.

itsmarty
12-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Non-poker:
Ballad of the Whiskey Robber (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316071676/hobgoblin/002-0851275-6828801), the true story of a bank robbing hockey goaltender in post-Communist Hungary.

From Amazon "Attila Ambrus was a gentleman thief, a sort of Cary Grant--if only Grant came from Transylvania, was a terrible professional hockey goalkeeper, and preferred women in leopard-skin hot pants."

Poker:
Poker: Bets, Bluffs, and Bad Beats (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811827518/hobgoblin/002-0851275-6828801), more of a coffee table book than anything, but still an A. Alvarez work that I think deserves more attention.

Myself, I positively hated Positively Fifth Street. McManus has a romantic view of poker and all the supposed hard cases that surround it that I just don't subscribe to. His "you're disrespecting the game" comment in the 2004 WSOP was no surprise to me after reading this book.

Martin

RogerZBT
12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
IMO (and the opinion of everyone I know who has read both... about 12 people) Angels and Demons (also by Brown) is better than the Da Vinci Code.

The Alienist by Carr is also very good. It's a ficitonal account of the first efforts to profile and catch a serial killer.

I was also not the biggest fan of Positively Fifth Street. The Binion trial just didn't catch my interest. Enjoyed The Biggest Game in Town much more.

BUD
12-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Amarillo slim in a world full of fat people, King of a small world by rick bennet, two great ones for someone who loves a winning edge @ gambling : bringing down the house ( as previously mentoned) and maybe my favorite American roullette

Spidurman
12-10-2004, 04:14 PM
I agree - Angels & Demons was a more interesting read than Da Vinci (I enjoyed both).

If you want to read Fifth Street as a poker novel - just page through the murder trial parts. It is structured as two shorter novels intercut, so skipping the pages will not affect the 2000 WSOP story.

Talk2BigSteve
12-10-2004, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have not read The Da Vinci Code it is a good read, but it is a mystery and has nothing to do about poker or gambling. I also enjoy reading John Grisham novels. Good job on your grades!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read the Da Vinci Code, I thought it was great, I finished it in 2 days. I live in Mississippi where John Grisham is from, and I have Autographed 1st Editions of each book(except A Time To Kill). For anyone interested in a Grisham Autographed 1st Edition you can order them from Ye Olde Book Shoppe in Hattiesburg, MS #(601)264-1919 And thank you for the good job on the grades comment. As you can see from the first Post I did do good; and for obvious reasons do not want to see a statistic over my break.

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I am writing them down and going to browse Books A Million tonight.