PDA

View Full Version : Need some HU advice

poboy
12-08-2004, 06:59 PM
I am pretty happy with my results so far, with one exception. My win rate is not as high as I think it should be. I money in over 50% of the SNG's I play however the large majority of them are 2cd's and 3rd's. I currently have a 49% ROI, but feel if I could just turn a few of those 2cd's into 1st's it would be much higher. My finishes look like this:

1- 12%
2- 22%
3- 19%

My general HU strategy is to be super-aggresive. I raise w/ any A or K,suited connectors, and sometimes with garbage. If the SB limps I auto-raise no matter what I have and fire a pot sized bet if he checks to me. This works well against an overly tight player, but against normal opposition my results haven't been so great. Any advice would be much appreciated. Am I correct to go into hyper-aggresive mode?

KJS
12-08-2004, 08:07 PM
FYI, if I played you I would note these tendencies and a) limp in the SB with big hands and b) always check to you when I had a good hand. Obvious perhaps, but you should be aware of this. And also that many of pre-flop aggressiveness will get you in positions where you are only called when behind.

KJS

poboy
12-08-2004, 10:10 PM
That is exactly what happens. So what do you suggest? Also after I've stolen a few pots my opponent figures out what I'm doing and correctly calls me down with bottom pair or even Ace high. What can I do to not be so obvious and yet not be passive? Is time and experience the only thing that's going to help my HU game or can someone please give me a few pointers?

ChrisV
12-08-2004, 10:26 PM
You don't mention the size of the blinds. If this is a typical Party SNG, the blinds are usually huge (200/400 and up) by the time you hit heads up. With blinds of this size you shouldnt be "firing a pot size bet" after the flop because there should never be a flop - if you raise preflop, it's allin. I agree with the auto-raise if SB limps except that you shouldn't do it three times in a row as they tend to start limping good hands after the second time you do it.

Any A or K, suited connectors isn't hyper aggressive in these situations. Hyper aggressive is raising every hand (although you shouldnt go that far). You should raise everything all the way down to hands like 96s. Be aware that heads up, a hand like J7s is far superior to something like 65s.

ChrisV
12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
At heads up with large blinds, if you aren't behind the majority of the time when called, you're playing too tight.

(my name it is) Sam Hall
12-08-2004, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also after I've stolen a few pots my opponent figures out what I'm doing and correctly calls me down with bottom pair or even Ace high. What can I do to not be so obvious and yet not be passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just fold the occasional hand. I make a point of never attempting more than two consecutive steals at any stage of the game.