PDA

View Full Version : Killer poker online- opinions?

krazyace5
12-08-2004, 06:26 PM
I have some comps to use up.

Should I get this book or Doyle Brunson Poker Wisdom of a Champion?

Either of hellmuths books are available also. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

invast
12-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Doyle Brunson Poker Wisdom of a Champion.

I found that Killer Poker Online was a somewhat entertaining read, but I'm sure you would benfit more from Brunson's book.

Onaflag
12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
It's been a long time since I read KPO and it was one of the first books I read. I didn't know at the time that the book was absolutely worthless, I was simply eager to read anything I could get my hands on, and that included Helmuth's fireplace kindling. In retrospect, I am glad I read them because it gives me valid reason to respect 2+2 books.

Should you read them? If it will help you become a 2+2 follower like me, then yes. If you can manage to skip that step, go directly to 2+2. If you have the basics down, then go to Small Stakes Holdem (called SSH around here). If not, then start with Mr. Sklansky's more basic books. That's my 2 cents.

Onaflag.........

PS.....I just noticed your number of posts. Surely you are a reader of 2+2 already......

Al Mirpuri
12-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Killer Poker Online is incredibly well written. If only Vorhaus could analyze like Sklansky, if only Sklansky could write like Vorhaus.

Brunson's book is a collection of folksy gambling tales. It is not a how to book.

Play Poker Like The Pros may be your best bet. What other Hellmuth book are you referring to, Bad Beats? IF so Play is the better book but it is close. The second book is a collection of big hands from tourneys. A little bit of the thinking process is revealed.

Mr. Graff
12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Killer Poker Online is incredibly well written. If only Vorhaus could analyze like Sklansky, if only Sklansky could write like Vorhaus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aye, there's the rub.

benfranklin
12-08-2004, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Should I get this book or Doyle Brunson Poker Wisdom of a Champion?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You might start by going to Amazon and reading the customer reviews there. They will give you an idea of what the books are about. I don't remember anything particularly good or bad about the Vorhaus book, but I sold it used after reading it once. It's more about attitude than poker, as I remember. Brunson's book is good for what it is (not a strategy or analysis book) and remains in my library.

krazyace5
12-08-2004, 07:35 PM
I don't trust alot of amazons reviews for poker books since most of them are actually affilliate ads.

npc
12-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Killer Poker Online:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/killer_poker_online.html
Poker Wisdom of a Champion:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/according_to_doyle.html

Some folks will benefit from KPO, but I think Killer Poker is better. Of the two you mention, I would guess most would enjoy Brunson's book more. Both of them are more entertaining than strategic.

Hellmuth's first book is more strategic than either of these two, although its very uneven. Some parts are interesting, some are inexplicable:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/play_poker_like_the_pros.html