PDA

View Full Version : AK in position heads up -- 2 strategies and thoughts

Jonny Melon
12-08-2004, 05:27 PM
This hand happened to me yesterday and got me thinking about some "standard" AK heads up lines.

Party 2/4 full. I am in EMP w/ 77 (suits unimportant). UTG and UTG+1 limp, I limp, folded to LMP who raises, all others fold, UTG, UTG + 1 and hero all call.

CO is a decent postflop player, a bit too passive preflop with a PFR raise % around 4%, but doesn't get out of line. We're looking at (most likely) TT - AA, AJ - AK, KQ. Maybe a few others, but less likely.

Flop comes J62 (9 SB):

Checked to me, I bet, CO raises. Folded to me and I call.

Strategy: CO raised as I expected here. I will stop n go with any card <= 10 and fold to a turn raise (except a 7, of course). I will check-fold to a Q, K, or A.

Turn: Q
I check. CO checks.

River: 3
I bet. CO calls, and I bring down the pot against -- you guessed it -- AK.

There is a larger context to this post. I often see the "Standard" play HU in position w/ AK to be to check the turn in this manner unimproved and call a river bet unimproved. But consider the turn bet, which cost CO this pot. Should the "standard" play be to bet the turn and check behind on the river unimproved? Does betting the turn and getting bet into on the river make a river call less mandatory? Is a check raise an auto-fold?

I'd like to hear other's experiences with these 2 common plays. In case you were wondering, if I were CO, I'd usually (65%-ish) bet the turn.

Jon

MoreWineII
12-08-2004, 05:40 PM
You're a thinking player though. You might fold to a turn bet. A lot of online players are going to put you *squarely* on AK and call down with any pair.

Or am I too pessimistic?

Fat Nicky
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I often see the "Standard" play HU in position w/ AK to be to check the turn in this manner unimproved and call a river bet unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a mid-sized pot, I pretty much will always bet the turn in this situation (heads up)

[ QUOTE ]
Should the "standard" play be to bet the turn and check behind on the river unimproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so. You gotta figure if your opponent has something like bottom or middle pair, he's called you all the way, so he'll likely call you at the river. If he missed a draw, he won't call a bet, and your AK will be good.

[ QUOTE ]
Does betting the turn and getting bet into on the river make a river call less mandatory? Is a check raise an auto-fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes 2x.