PDA

View Full Version : Comparsion check: 2+2

Zeno
12-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Compare 2+2 of two years ago (or one year ago) to 2+2 of today.

Pluses and minuses.

What has improved? What has deteriorated?

Any remedies or suggestions for improvements?

Other general comments/explanations welcome.

The following poll will last for seven days.

Edit: The poll lasts indefinitely, not just for seven days.

prairieboy
12-08-2004, 05:03 PM
I said "deteriorated" but it's down from fantastic to excellent.

The main reason for this is that many of my favorite posters from earlier times (Fossilman, Ed Miller, David Ross to name a few) aren't the regular presence that they once were.

I'm a big fan of many current posters, but it's hard not to miss some of the old regulars.

bernie
12-08-2004, 05:24 PM
I think there are the same amount of good threads. However, there are tons more threads to weed through to get to them. Threads back then were much easier to keep up on.

But then you're talking about 10-15 'main' posters back then compared to 100 now. I think i'll always think of those years as the 'golden' years of 2+2.

b

sfer
12-08-2004, 08:41 PM
OOT is vastly improved.

bdk3clash
12-08-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOT is vastly improved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Insofar as it didn't exist one year ago, I agree.

ThaSaltCracka
12-08-2004, 09:40 PM
OOT is awesome, some of the other forums suck though, and a lot of the poker strategy forums are infected with absurd bitching and arguments over semantics, yuck!

beernutz
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Stayed relatively the same. CHECK

NLSoldier
12-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Whats the OOT forum?

Oh, wait....do you mean the TSC forum?

ThaSaltCracka
12-08-2004, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats the OOT forum?

Oh, wait....do you mean the TSC forum?

[/ QUOTE ]as far as I know the renaming was suppose to take place next week. Its still OOT, for now.

sfer
12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Passing Diablo would be much cooler if it was strictly in OOT. Nonetheless, if you outposted Diablo with a poker hand in Small Stakes, that would totally rule.

ThaSaltCracka
12-08-2004, 10:19 PM
you mean I should make the one post that surpases him in SS? Maybe a bad beat post?

sfer
12-08-2004, 11:36 PM
That would be awesome.

Zeno
12-08-2004, 11:58 PM
El is becoming a wimp. He knows a lot about wine though and can't be dismissed out of hand. He is a slimey bastard and must be watch with a vengence - trust me on this one.

His lack of poker postings has lead somewhat to the downturn of 2+2. But if I increase my postings that would balance things out some. For instance, one poker post by me is worth about ten of El's. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

sfer
12-09-2004, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He knows a lot about wine though and can't be dismissed out of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lot of us know a lot about wine. Maybe people with hoods want to speak Sideways-like and avoid the Loire valley. I dunno.

[ QUOTE ]
He is a slimey bastard and must be watch with a vengence - trust me on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat, cuz.

Zeno
12-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Bumb. Seriously, a few more votes are needed to have a larger sample size. Thank You. I'm off to run errands.

-Zeno

MMMMMM
12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
eh, just found this thread;-)

Posting quality has deteriorated overall I think; probably due to there being just so many new posters.

Victor
12-09-2004, 02:07 PM
The overall quality has gone through the roof on this site. I have been reading here and sometimes posting since 2001. The regular and average small stakes poster is far better than those in the early days. Back then, only a few people properly understood a lot of concepts that everyone knows and espouses now. For this reason a lot of threads would contain incorrect information and useless arguments. Now, if a thread is wrong it will be overrun by a barrage of corrections. (This is not true of the World Poker Forum....hehe). The technical inherent underlying principles are known by most around here and repeated enough that its even been beaten into my head. SSHE is one of the main reasons for this. The same was not true years ago.

Another advancement is that most emphasis nowadays is on postflop play. Most people here realize that more money is made postflop and focus on that. Years ago this place was crowded with preflop questions and you could not get through a thread without a discussion on "hand rankins." When was the last time you saw a thread about Group 4 hands in the BB? IMO this is a huge improvement.

I will say that it seems years ago that some of the crazy esoteric outlandish theories were discussed more and better. Most of that high end stuff is gone and so are those posters. This is naturally due to the explosion of poker and the internet. This creates a poker landscape that can be ruled by understanding fundamental technical straightforward play. There really is no need for a lot creativity in the game that most of us play (party).

I do miss a lot of the super deep posts from back in the day though. If they were to reappear again it would confuse the hell out of a lot of small stakesters.

Zeno
12-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Enjoyable post with some great points. Thanks Victor.

-Zeno

KJS
12-10-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm with bernie; the number of good threads seems to be about the same, but there is more junk than there used to be.

The other thing I notice (especially in small stakes forums) is that there seems to be more ego than there used to be. Years ago, I felt like we were a small group trying to help each other by posting lots of helpful advice. Now it seems like more "i know more than you and let me show you how to do it" type posts. I equate that with my perception that most posters are younger than they used to be. Hate to say it, but there is a lot of immature folks here now.

KJS

AngryCola
12-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah, you have to post something that you normally never would write.

It has to be something like that.

AngryCola
12-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm fairly new, but still wish I had been here longer. It would have been nice to see more frequent posts from Miller, Raymer, and a few others.

I just hope my presence here has not contributed to any deterioration of 2+2. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 09:08 PM
not meant as a slight to those you mentioned, I imagine there are probably more than few people that have replaced them. Perhaps will be hearing more about them in a year or two? Don't ask me to name names, I am just assuming.

AngryCola
12-10-2004, 09:38 PM
It wasn't meant as a slight. I really don't know what 2+2 used to be like.
I just mentioned a couple names that people have been putting out there. I'm sure there are more. Still, it would be nice to see Miller post more. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

spamuell
12-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Victor, you pretty much said exactly what I was going to, so I'll give an example.

Nowadays, I quite frequently see threads in the SS forum where a poster with less than 50 posts has something like JJ in the SB. In the "glory days" of the SS, there was a monumental thread about whether or not this should be raised with the conclusion that most came to being that the pre-flop edge given up by not raising could not be made up after the flop despite the deception value gained. Nowadays, such a thread would not occur because even the newest players will raise JJ in the SB.

So we don't get to examine theory as deeply as we used to be able to do, but this is because the overall playing/posting standard is higher.