PDA

View Full Version : Profitability of online multitable tourneys

05-21-2002, 01:01 PM
Over the long run, on an hourly basis, are these tournaments more or less profitable than ring games?

I've been avoiding them because HAVING to spend 3-4 hours playing, makes them less attractive to me than ring games. With hundreds of players, can one "expect" to regularly finish in the money?

05-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Hi De.

I can only speak of my own. I have not keept a person record of my tourneys, but I do have a very nice profil after something like 20-25 tourneys. I have one 1. place, 2 seconds, and 3 fourth places, and some between 5-9. All this add up to a very nice net profit. I think my net profit on multiple tourneys on Pokerstars, is somewhere between 1700-1900 $.

Daniel (ungar)

05-21-2002, 02:43 PM
To answer you question in one word- NO.

But of what use would that be lol. MultiTable tourneys are not profitible for one simple reason -their are way too many players. In a 300 player tourney luck not skill has a lot to do with it. Now do some people win a lot on these tourneys? You bet they do -but the other 280 dont win anything so basicaly you have like a 1 in 40 shot of making it in the money --if your a good player maybe 1 in 20--

Stick with 10 player tourneys --you will make money more frequently and have more fun. Only good thing about big tourneys is the big cash// but I myself have never won that big money in a large tourney so it really means nothing to me..

GOOD LUCK WITH IT!

05-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Hello

Seems to me that just as in live games, online games will be much different between ring, 1-table and multi-table games. And just as in live games, your success will be a product of how well you adjust your game for each.

Ol' Daniel there shows that a player can be successful in the multi's, so there ya go. But he may be much better than you at multi-table tourneys. Who knows!

Try the multi's, see how you do, see if you can hang for that long. Then go from there.

CHiP

05-22-2002, 11:50 AM

05-22-2002, 12:10 PM
The question was not whether it's possible to win money consistently at multitable tournaments, but whether the amount of money won is more or less per hour than ring games.

I think the lack of responses in the positive is an indication that they're less profitable.

05-26-2002, 05:21 AM
The rake on table games is usually about 10 times that of the rake on any kind of tourney, on an hourly basis.

This makes the tourneys very attractive for all but the very best of table players IMHO

Buzzlite

05-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Ahh.. gotcha.

Well, that's still relative to how good you are at adjusting your game to the multi-table tournies. Of course, if you play five 3- to 4-hour tournies a week and only cash one, yet you regularly make $$ at the rings, stick to the rings.

As Buzz points out, these online ring games NAIL ya on the rake because of the fast pace. If you can beat that, you're doin alright.

Really, it's going to vary person to person.

CHiP