PDA

View Full Version : Reading my poker books

invast
12-08-2004, 04:13 PM
This is the order I have come up with to read my poker books, if they are in the same group (i.e. don't have a space between each other) then they are ordered. Otherwise I can read books from different groups in any order I choose. If anyone has any suggestions of order change please comment, thank you. (Also "-" means I haven't read it and "+" means I have.)

+Hold'em Poker
+The Theory of Poker
-Winning Low-Limit Hold'em
-Internet Texas Hold'em
-Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
-Small Stakes Hold'em
-Middle Limit Hold'em

-Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold'em
-Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
-Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker

-Improve You Poker
-Real Poker II
-Poker Wisdom of a Champion

-The Psychology of Poker
-Inside the Poker Mind

-Caro's Book of Poker Tells

+Killer Poker Online

AKQJ10
12-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a good strategy (although I know nothing about the third group). The only thing I would add is to revisit several of the books, particularly ToP now that you've read it and HEPFAP. I think you'll find that the more you play, the more meaningful they become, although I'm just at the beginning of that process.

MarkL444
12-08-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-The Psychology of Poker
-Inside the Poker Mind

[/ QUOTE ]

having poker wisdom on top there is a mistake.

invast
12-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Ya AKQJ10, I do plan to revisit books I just didn't write that down.

invast
12-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Mark, is this better? I combined the 3rd and 4th groups.

-The Psychology of Poker
-Improve You Poker
-Inside the Poker Mind
-Real Poker II

invast
12-08-2004, 10:35 PM
*bump
anyone else???

amulet
12-09-2004, 12:08 AM
skip internet texas hold em. add harrington on hold em and supersystems to the list, and read inside the poker mind (a great book) before phy o poker. and reread them all several times.

invast
12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
ok here is the new order, the only section I'm not sure about the order is the third one. How does that look?

+Hold'em Poker
+The Theory of Poker
-Winning Low-Limit Hold'em
-Internet Texas Hold'em
-Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
-Small Stakes Hold'em
-Middle Limit Hold'em

-Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold'em
-Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
-Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker
-Harrington on Hold'em
-Super System 2

-Inside the Poker Mind
-The Psychology of Poker
-Improve You Poker
-Real Poker II

-Caro's Book of Poker Tells

+Killer Poker Online

johnnybeef
12-10-2004, 01:36 AM
i think this list of yours is a bit too much for you to digest at this point. most of the books that you have listed are very saturated with content that you are probably unfamiliar with. because of this, you will need to actively read them. take a highlighter and highlight the important parts, this will help you internalize the ideas as it will often force you to ask yourself: "what were the most important parts of what i read?", and "do i understand what i read?". furthermore, it will show you what you thought was important the first time you read it when you are reading it again. another thing that should be noted is that you need to take your time when reading (i think it took me about a month and a half to read theory of poker the first time) as reading alone will not help, you need to apply the concepts in practice.

as for your list: concentrate on four books. In order: holdem poker, theory of poker, small stakes holdem, and then when you are ready to start playing middle limit: holdem poker for advanced players, repeat. by the time you have internalized all of these books you should be more than ready to assess the rest of your path (and you will have probably dabbled into some of the other books that aren't so rich in theory as the chiafonne books that are more set towards situations)

hope this helps
johnny

Douper
12-10-2004, 02:42 AM
a lot of people around here recomend The Clarkmeister Rotation (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=929929&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1) and I'd have to agree. This is probably the best way to start.

Note: as mentioned above you dont' retian a lot of what you read the first time.

Quality > Quanity. spend more time with fewer books.

You could spend a year at least on those 5 books alone before you understand and apply them to a great degree, depending on how much time your putting into this and how mcuh experince you have currently.

invast
12-10-2004, 06:10 AM
I understand what you both are saying, and I am not at all planning to rush my reading. Although usually I am able to comprehend things fairly quicky, I also understand that I need to be able to not only understand but apply the concepts from the books in my play. The only real reason I posted this thread is that I like to make sure I do whatever I do in the best and most effective way. Thank you for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it.

johnnybeef
12-10-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a lot of people around here recomend The Clarkmeister Rotation (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=929929&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1) and I'd have to agree. This is probably the best way to start.

Note: as mentioned above you dont' retian a lot of what you read the first time.

Quality > Quanity. spend more time with fewer books.

You could spend a year at least on those 5 books alone before you understand and apply them to a great degree, depending on how much time your putting into this and how mcuh experince you have currently.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i for the most part agree with this rotation, except i don't like low limit holdem as ssh covers the same concepts in much more depth. i would probably switch llh with ciafonne's improve your poker

good luck
johnny