PDA

View Full Version : pleasant musical surprises...

VBM
12-08-2004, 12:00 PM
i rarely like music or a musical artist right from the 1st time i hear them and it's even weirder/better when it's something i never thought i'd like.

when's the last time that happened to you, and what music?

oh, and the artist/song in question, for me, is a gal named Madeleine Peyroux and this song "Don't Wait Too Long"...it's jazzy and it's a little creepy how much she sounds like Billie Holiday to me...

ThaSaltCracka
12-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Herbie Hancock "Head Hunters", the whole album is really cool.

Also, a couple indie rock bands: The Shins, Pinback, and Nuetral Milk Hotel.

elwoodblues
12-08-2004, 12:15 PM
There were two:

Michael Buble --- his first album is way cool

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (I asked on this forum who sings the cool version of somewhere over the rainbow and this was the one I was looking for --- subsequently acquired 2 of his albums)

VBM
12-08-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

[/ QUOTE ]

my old officemate bought this album and i couldn't get that version of somewhere over the rainbow out of my mind for like a week after listening to it...

i don't even consider myself a jazz fan, which was why i was surprised i liked peyroux...

IndieMatty
12-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Pinback is g00t!

ThaSaltCracka
12-08-2004, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pinback is g00t!

[/ QUOTE ]this chick at my work told me about them, they are pretty good.

Allan
12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
The majority of what I listen to is classical and jazz. I do have a lot of other stuff in my cd collection and I try as best I can to keep my ear open to what is out there. The latest album I got that I really like is This Week by Jean Grae. I knew nothing about her and had never heard any of her stuff before but. I was browsing around the okayplayer website and listened to a few clips and decided to give the album a try. Got it yesterday afternoon and so far so good.

Allan