PDA

View Full Version : Getting hit early means trouble

05-19-2002, 09:25 PM
I have played alot of tourny's and have noticed something significant. I think I saw David S write this idea down too somewhere, Can't remember where.

The times when someone is getting hit with the deck early often mean trouble for them later, unless of course they continue to get hit OR are GREAT Tourny players anyway. Able to use the early rush to bully around later.

I have seen SO many people who are hot in the early rounds only to know they will be out of tourny later when cards cool off for them.

It happened to me in Super last night and I got MAJORLY cold decked when blinds were fairly high. Lasted to 39 out of 230. Was on a super rush early and built my $200 starting into about $1300 in less than first hour. Continued good play and built to $2700 and was in top 10% of stack size. And then got so cold decked with blind $200-400. 10-5o, 7-3, etc, for at least an hour. Made up for early rush.

I would have rather had the reverse happened. cold early and super rush later...

Any comments?

Scott

05-20-2002, 03:59 AM
Your cards early have no effect on your cards late. Like flipping a coin doesn't remember what happened with the previous flip.

What Sklansky was talking about is that people that go out to a lead early don't usually end up winning, particularly in big tourneys.

This is because early leaders are usually maniacs, if there are 10 maniacs, probably one will get lucky and get out to a quick lead.

But he is a maniac and with average cards even from then on, will get popped at some point as they are not a good player.

Additionally many people when they go on an early rush think it will continue and don't shift gears when they should, so more apt to give it back quick..then are likely to go on tilt.