PDA

View Full Version : Va Tech / Lee Suggs

09-02-2001, 02:40 AM
Va Tech lost their Heisman candidate Lee Suggs perhaps for the season with a knee injury today. We say in our books, when a top team loses an important player, they often become a good bet because the bookies over adjust for the lost of that player. Next week they play Western Michigan at home.

Note: If they are big favorites, this concept may not hold because we believe the syndrome at work is mainly the defense giving an extra special effort to make up for the missing player. Against a weak team that might not happen. Thus it may be better to hold off betting on Va Tech until they are either an underdog or only a small favorite.

09-02-2001, 03:26 AM
Great post.

Solid analysis, and I concur completely. I wish V Tech played anybody good in September. Since they don't, we are likely going to miss out on a good opportunity that would have existed.

09-03-2001, 07:06 PM
First time you might get to use it is in December actually. They won't be less than a 2 TD favorite before the Pitt game and depending on how Pitt does, they might be that size favorite then.

This injury hurts quite a bit for their spread covering because they were depending on Suggs to get the QB into the flow of the season. The only position that is a ? for the team is QB and having Suggs made it a moot point. Their easy schedule though doesn't make the injury a disaster. I haven't heard the latest, they said he might return by November if the injury is of a particular nature. If that is the case then he can play in all the games that matter.

09-04-2001, 09:27 AM
Suggs is gone for the season. But if you believe all the preseason hype, they have another RB, Kevin Jones, a freshman, who was supposed to challenge Suggs during the preseason. That could be factored into any decision making.

Bill