PDA

View Full Version : My name is scrub, and Nate thinks I raise the turn too much

scrub
12-08-2004, 08:06 AM
But I'm trying to change.

OtherGuy just sat down.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Scrub is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP <font color="purple">(OtherGuy)</font> posts a blind of $10.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Scrub raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP <font color="purple">(OtherGuy)</font> (poster) calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
OtherGuy checks, <font color="CC3333">Scrub bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">OtherGuy raises</font>, Scrub calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">OtherGuy bets</font>, Scrub calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">OtherGuy bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Scrub raises</font>

Yay or nay? Too many overcards to do this instead of raising the turn?

scrub

bunky9590
12-08-2004, 08:43 AM
I like the river raise if you're gonna raise at all. Sucks if he has a T though. You folding to a three bet?

scrub
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the river raise if you're gonna raise at all. Sucks if he has a T though. You folding to a three bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm absolutely putting in another raise at some point in this hand.

I'd like to say that I'm folding to a 3-bet, but against some rando guy who thinks I'm stealing his UTG+1 post, I'm calling down.

scrub

stripsqueez
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
raise the turn ??? - worried about overcards ??? - i want to 3 bet the flop

first time i played with nate was scary - i cant recall all the hands but he appeared to be playing without a call button - 3 betting an open button raise from the SB with J9o does stick in my memory

i think nates a natural and i learn heaps from his posts but i'm sceptical he calls enough to give that advice to anyone

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Schneids
12-08-2004, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

first time i played with nate was scary - i cant recall all the hands but he appeared to be playing without a call button - 3 betting an open button raise from the SB with J9o does stick in my memory

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were the good ol' days... I miss them, he made some awesome tables with people tilting everywhere. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

djoyce003
12-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't know. Usually when they have the 10, they raise the turn, not the flop. I think you should have raised the turn and then checked out what he did. That being said I don't disagree with raising the river. If he called your bet I guess you are the same either way. Call a reraise I guess.

Alobar
12-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Im confused by why you would wait till the river. I'm assuming its because you get another bet out of him if he is bluffing? I still like raising the turn better. If he is just on overcards, or has a smaller pair, lots of times he's just going to check the river, and may or may not call. Where as if you pop the turn he can still call "looking to catch".

There are also alot of overcards that could come on the river, which is bad because he could have just caught the card he needed, but also because when you raise the river when a broadway card falls, he's going to think YOU just caught and isnt as likely to call unless he's actually got the ten or that card.

I think him betting into you again on the river is either a T or a hand he isnt calling a raise with. but I dont play any 10/20 so I could be way off.

scrub
12-10-2004, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Im confused by why you would wait till the river. I'm assuming its because you get another bet out of him if he is bluffing? I still like raising the turn better. If he is just on overcards, or has a smaller pair, lots of times he's just going to check the river, and may or may not call. Where as if you pop the turn he can still call "looking to catch".

There are also alot of overcards that could come on the river, which is bad because he could have just caught the card he needed, but also because when you raise the river when a broadway card falls, he's going to think YOU just caught and isnt as likely to call unless he's actually got the ten or that card.

[/ QUOTE ]

My instinct is to raise the turn here. I waited until the river because of a few threads in SS where Nate and StellarWind disagreed with my advice to raise the turn instead of the river in situations where the guy is bluffing or way ahead.

Nate's claim was that this line will (1) get the most bets out of a pure bluff, (2) sometimes get a weak pair to call down that would have folded when faced with having to call 2 more bets to get to showdown and (3) sometimes freeze up a ten with a weak kicker that would have 3-bet on the turn.

I've found that it's a pretty good like for situations where there are less overcards that could make me lose or kill my action. I thought this was a very borderline use of the line, though.

scrub

scrub
12-10-2004, 08:32 AM
He folded. Yay.

scrub