PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you former high-school wrestlers

youtalkfunny
12-08-2004, 07:04 AM
>>I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG FORUM. BUT THE RAYMER/REILLY THREAD TURNED INTO A WRESTLING THREAD, SO I PUT THIS HERE.

When I was in my junior year, the kid who sat next to me in Social Studies, Dave, was on the wrestling team. I don't know if he ever won a state championship, but he was definitely among the best in the state at 114.

I weighed 214, most of it fat, but I had SOME muscle. I never wrestled competitively, but whenever we wrestled in gym class, I'd have to go against all the fatties, and I beat them all, usually handily.

Dave and I would constantly debate, half-seriously, who would win if we hooked up on the mat. I thought it would be competitive, at least, but Dave insisted it would be no contest. "You're too slow," he'd say.

I was overweight, but my cardio was a lot better than you'd imagine. But he was right about my lack of quickness--he'd probably get behind me before I knew what happened. And he was trained, I hardly knew anything.

Would I have had a chance against him?

daryn
12-08-2004, 07:11 AM
i say yes, having never wrestled before. 100 lbs. is a lot to have on someone. you can only get so far on technique. if i can pick a dude up and throw him, what's he gonna do, realistically?

scrub
12-08-2004, 07:17 AM
No. He would have owned you.

scrub

ethan
12-08-2004, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No. He would have owned you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I took a little Brazilian jiu-jitsu in college, and watching 140lb purple-belt (up 2 ranks from beginner) take on a beginner who was 6'6" 280lb was impressive. The beginner was in good shape - he played rugby, and I think he'd been offered full scholarships at other schools for football. It usually took some time before he had to tap out, but he always lost.

zaxx19
12-08-2004, 08:52 AM
JIU JITSU AND Folk( hs and collegiate style wrestling in the USA) are 2 completely different animals; I know i have done both.

IN FOLK-

If you received absolutely no instruction perhaps he could beat you. If on the other hand you gave me perhaps 30 minutes to show you some ways to stall and defend against shots(ie a basic sprawl) I believe you would have an advantage...thats a hudred pounds man.....100 is alot too give up even 200 to 300lbs not to mention 114-220 or something. You might have a hard time pinning him though without a day or 2 too learn proper pinning techniques but you still should be able to wrestle him to a stalemate.

IN jiu jitsu you are just toast if he is experienced...he could even allow you too punch and kick while not being allowed to himself and unless you got a killer upper cut he is gonna have you submitting in about 45 seconds, probably from an arm bare or choke hold. That stuff is real effective.

silversurfer
12-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Depends on what you both mean by being beaten. Let's say you have no knowledge whatsoever of wrestling and he is state-champion caliber. Add on the fact that you don't seem like you are in good enough shape to keep up with him. There is nothing I have done that is as physically demanding as wrestling - it's very taxing. I see you sucking wind mid-second period(say it's set up in typical match format). You are going to get out-pointed, at the very least.

If it is "pin to win", then he is giving up a LOT of weight and that might be difficult for him unless you are a total fish(means the same thing here as it does in poker).

Either way, I give you a snowball's chance in hell. I'm gonna do my best Drago here: you vill lose.

edit: english nuts can change everything to past tense, re-read and saw this was in the past

edit edit: [ QUOTE ]
You might have a hard time pinning him though without a day or 2 too learn proper pinning techniques but you still should be able to wrestle him to a stalemate.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are going to teach someone with NO knowledge how to pin(or wrestle to a draw) someone who is state champ material in 2 days??? you just proved you don't know what the hell you are talking about. you just don't learn, kid. for the 5000th time - stop being so desperate to look smart!!!

pokeraz
12-08-2004, 10:31 AM
I was a two time California state champion wrestler my junior and senior year. I lost exactly one match in two years. In my senior year, I hovered around 195lbs. Which as some of you will know, is on the edge of the unlimited weight class. Well, one match I showed up a pound overweight and was stuck in the unlimited class. No big deal, it was a small school and my coach didn't even think they had a guy that I could wrestle and would just be no match.

What do you know. They rolled out the fattest guy I had ever seen. I swear he was 350lbs if he was an ounce. I found out later he had only wrestled twice. Long story short, I couldn't do a damn thing with him. I ended up losing by a point.

So in my opinion, the weight advantage is too much. It was too much for me, and not to toot my own horn, but I was a damn fine wrestler. I fielded many full ride scholarship offers and lost one match in two years.

Redmen62
12-08-2004, 10:41 AM
In a match format you would be very likely to lose. An almost identical example: My grade 10 year, I weighed a reasonably athletic 265 or so. I had wrestled for the first time the year before with decent results, ended up 4th in cities and made provincials. Our team captain that year was the provincial champion at 53kg (117 pounds). He challenged me to a match in the first month of practice, an offer I certainly couldn't refuse. He beat me 4-0, he had a lot of trouble getting in behind me since he couldn't tie up and couldn't shoot for fear of getting caught underneath me, but he managed to duck under a total of 4 times. He would immediately jump up off of me after scoring a point, which was key. So, almost 150 pound weight differential, but the experience differential was worth more.

Without some actual wrestling training, and some match experience, I would take the 114-pounder every time.

Edit: I forgot about folkstyle- crazy 'Mericans... Above example from freestyle, your mileage may vary.

gcoutu
12-08-2004, 10:51 AM
I was a two time state champ in hs wrestling at 140 pounds. When my college buddies found this out we always had a nice throw down on friday and sat. nights. I was about 160 in college and none of them were any less than 190 or so and some were 240ish.

I owned most of them, but the bigger they were the tougher it was. Now, we wrestled in the living room and not on a mat where I would have room to move. It was more backyard type stuff. If you are on a mat and he is good he will give you LOTS of hell. If you can use your strength to wear him down or catch him somehow you could hold your own. Really just depends on how good he was.

My friend played linebacker at a small school in college and goes for about 230 and I dropped him on his head 3 times in 30 seconds. It can happen if he knows how to handle himself well.

I'd say you are a 3:1 dog because 114 to 200 is a big difference. I hope you wouldn't let him pin you though.

Redmen62
12-08-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What do you know. They rolled out the fattest guy I had ever seen. I swear he was 350lbs if he was an ounce. I found out later he had only wrestled twice. Long story short, I couldn't do a damn thing with him. I ended up losing by a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying this is the situation, but in the heavier weight classes, very little technique is used beyond basic leverage and grappling. An offensive or defensive lineman with no actual wrestling experience can do very well without much technique at all, and can be near elite with rudimentary training.

I read somewhere that Ted Washington was a state champion wrestler, I wonder how much technique he had?

pokeraz
12-08-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying this is the situation, but in the heavier weight classes, very little technique is used beyond basic leverage and grappling. An offensive or defensive lineman with no actual wrestling experience can do very well without much technique at all, and can be near elite with rudimentary training.

I read somewhere that Ted Washington was a state champion wrestler, I wonder how much technique he had?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'very little technique', but in the heavier weight classes, leverage and grappling are key.

Redmen62
12-08-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't go so far as to say 'very little technique', but in the heavier weight classes, leverage and grappling are key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I also should specify I am basically referring to the heavyweight class (220+ here). When I go to see top-level matches at the university level, it is rare to see any points scored in par terre. It is rare to see any completed throws or shots, the top-level matches are most often decided by caution points from sumo-like shoving matches. A casual observer might see the match and think neither one knew how wrestle at all, but that's just the way the sport breaks down when two competent athletes of similar size and strength are matched up. The new FILA rules may change all this dramatically though.

The Dude
12-08-2004, 11:53 AM
If he was a champion-caliber wrestler, you'd stand no chance against him. If he was "just" an excellent wrestler, you'd stand a chance, but it'd be really hard to say how much so, since it would depend on just how good he is and your natural wrestling acumen.

Based on how you described yourself and him, though, I would put you about a 10:1 dog. Now, take that with a grain of salt because, since you never wrestled, there is a decent chance you have mis-stated his ability.

tek
12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
I had a similar experience in high school. I wrestled 180. Once the other school didn't have a 180 and we didn't have a heavyweight. So we both won by default. But both coaches thought it would be "fun" for us to wrestle exhibition.

He weighed 230-240.

I was behind for 8 1/2 minutes on points. I was focussing on rolling him over on his back (didn't want to break an arm or a leg doing a takedown on him because he was a fat pig) and was finally able to roll him with seconds remaining.

Everyone in the stands (it was an away match) stood up and cheered when I got him on his back.

I was sooo exhausted (and disgusted because he was sweaty and smelly). But it was a good experience.

ThaSaltCracka
12-08-2004, 01:07 PM
if he was reasonably strong, he would def own you, but I doubt he would be able to pin you. We had this kid on our wrestling team, I believe he wrestled 112, and he beasted one of the young fat kids that wrestled 215, and actually I think he pinned him. His quickness would only be overcome by your sheer size and hopefully strength. If you didn't know what you were doing either, he would also be able to use several tricks to gain leverage on you. I am guessing he would tire you out too.

smoore
12-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Without you having any training, I gotta put my money on him. Your strategy would mainly consist of trying not to get knocked over and pushing him out of the ring so you get caution points on him. You would have difficulty pinning him because those little guys are wriggly. His strategy would consist of climbing you /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Daliman
12-08-2004, 03:34 PM
The 114-214 difference in weight is, of course key, but the 100lbs figure means more when it is SUCH a significant % difference in weight. A 100 lb guy beating a 200 lb guy would be amazing. A 150 lb guy beating a 250 lb guy would be exceptional. A 200 lb guy beating a 300 lb guy is actually somewhat common.

That all said, my friend is wrestling coach at his HS. He is 5'5", weighs about 160-165, benches about 250, and can beat everyone on his team. Something about "man strength" usually is said, I hear.

thirddan
12-08-2004, 04:43 PM
In HS wrestling he most likely would beat you, but i think that with a small bit of training your weight advantage would be too much to overcome, 100 pounds is a lot...Also, upper weight class and low weight class wrestling are very different. Heavyweight wrestling is mostly about close quarter grappling and eventually getting your opponent on the ground in one move, a lot of the heavyweight matches only had one takedown and that was it. Lower and middle weight class wrestling is based more long distance takedown wrestling, its more about speed and aggression than grappling...

DesertCat
12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I think what people here are missing is that a 114 lb wrestler doesn't usually weigh 114 lbs.

I wrestled 118 in college. My workout partner (the starter) was one of the best in the country at his weight. He destroyed virtually everyone he faced, and loved to torture people (esp. me). I called him the tasmanian devil behind his back. We both walked around about 138 lbs. One day before the coaches had showed up, I was warming up, waiting for practice to start, when our heavyweight (280 lbs) decided to pick on me. There wasn't much I could do about it once he got on top of me. But when Taz came in to the room, he was very perturbed to find his personal whipping boy being tortured by someone else. He quickly forced the heavyweight to release me and then spent five minutes kicking the holy crap out of him. He was too fast, and too smart to let the heavyweight get a hold of him. I still fondly remember Taz holding this huge guy by the back of his head and dragging his face across the mat as he whimpered and begged to be released.

Now our heavyweight wasn't a very good wrestler, but he was still more experienced than you, and outweighed Taz by around 150 lbs. Of course Taz much better than any high school wrestler, in fact the smaller guys on our team were all pretty good. The other two guys in our workout group (the 126 and 134 pounders) both ended up later making U.S. Olympic teams. Practices were very painful for me.

Equal
12-09-2004, 02:45 AM
On a poker forum, I am very surprised to see how knowledgable 2+2 is on the effectiveness of wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu! Awesome!

In Japan, they have a martial arts event which combines, boxing, kickboxing, judo, and wrestling rules together. A 150lb Japanese man named Gomi beat American Heavyweight Pro Boxer Butterbean (who had been trained in the expanded rules) very quickly with a choke. Butterbean had about 100lbs weight advantage.

Technique overcomes weight differences in wrestling or martial arts except at the professional levels. This is because the skill levels are so close at the top. The Butterbean example shows that even a boxer with 100lbs weight advantage, plus some rudimentary grappling training can't keep up to someone much smaller.

beernutz
12-09-2004, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
>>I KNOW THIS IS THE WRONG FORUM. BUT THE RAYMER/REILLY THREAD TURNED INTO A WRESTLING THREAD, SO I PUT THIS HERE.

When I was in my junior year, the kid who sat next to me in Social Studies, Dave, was on the wrestling team. I don't know if he ever won a state championship, but he was definitely among the best in the state at 114.

I weighed 214, most of it fat, but I had SOME muscle. I never wrestled competitively, but whenever we wrestled in gym class, I'd have to go against all the fatties, and I beat them all, usually handily.

Dave and I would constantly debate, half-seriously, who would win if we hooked up on the mat. I thought it would be competitive, at least, but Dave insisted it would be no contest. "You're too slow," he'd say.

I was overweight, but my cardio was a lot better than you'd imagine. But he was right about my lack of quickness--he'd probably get behind me before I knew what happened. And he was trained, I hardly knew anything.

Would I have had a chance against him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this to be a wrestling match or were submissions allowed or was it no-holds-barred? I think he takes you in a wrestling match. If submissions or strikes are allowed I think I give you the edge just based on your descriptions.

jstnrgrs
12-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Unless you were in absolutly terible shape.

I walked into the first day of wrestling my freshman year at 220lbs. (I had just finished football, so I wasn't in that bad shape, but I was not well muscled, and I had not done much weight traning in my life up to that point.) That year our 119 wrestler placed in the all-state tournament and qualified for the New England tournament. On ocasion when we would be goofing around before practice really started we would have some extreme mismatches. I never had any trouble with anyone below 125lbs no matter how good they were. (By the way, I only won one match that whole year.)

jstnrgrs
12-09-2004, 03:40 AM
What kind of wrestling goes on for 8 1/2 minutes?

Boris
12-09-2004, 04:00 AM
I rassled at 112 pounds when I was a freshmen. I was a mediocre rassler. One day in gym class we had a rassle off and I owned the big strong football players. It wasn't even close. I'm guessing you woulda been toast.

DBowling
12-09-2004, 06:12 AM
my money's on the wrestler. my money's always on the wrestler vs untrained fatty, in a wrestling match. my freshman year, i was about 180-190. First few practices were quite humbling against the scrawny guys who i thought i would own. experience counts a lot.

zaxx19
12-09-2004, 07:39 AM
SURFER STFU I DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS BUT YUR ACTING LIKE AN ASSCLOWN..

I wrestled for 3 yrs and was decent by my last year. Pinning combos arent that difficult too teach in fact with only 3 that I ever used I pinned probably 30% of the kids I wrestled. Half, Power Half, and a Cradle. I wrestled at heavyweight and there isnt much technique necessary as long as you learn how to use leverage, especially if you outweigh someone by 100 lbs and have any modicum of athletic ability. Actually all he would need to use is a power half if he got it in the little midget kid is toast.

oBVIOUSLY YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOEMONE WHO WEIGHTS 220 AND SOMEONE WHO WEIGHS LIKE 115.

_2000Flushes
12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
I wrestled some in high school even though I wasn't what you might call "on the team." (Team play was lost on me until poker came along.) I vacillated between 210 and and 160, and the guys I trounced never changed much based on my weight.

I'm fairly aggressive in any hook-up, but especially if I'm going head-to-head with a guy twice my girth. Like youtalkfunny, I'm not too quick, so it's easy to get behind me if you want. That was usually how it happened when I took a pounding on the Mat. Whatever. It's just something I had to learn to swallow.

But when I was dominant, I would deliver stiff shot after stiff shot. Granted, I took quite a few bumps myself. I once managed to juice hardway for over three hours. Yuk!

Anyway, weight didn't matter any more than age did back in those days. Man the 60s were great.

-2kF

Usul
12-09-2004, 02:40 PM
I know a little bit about wrestling. I've been wrestling for 8 years, I won a gold medal at the Canada games in the 198 lbs catagory and I have a national silver medal. I currently wrestle heavyweight in college at about 230 pounds.

I have two stories for you. First, my wrestling coach is about 5 foot 2 and weighs about 135. I won't say that he can turn me at will, but he has the tightest gutwrench of anyone I've ever wrestled. I've wrestled six different olypians and two medalists that were around my weight and they couldn't turn me as well as my tiny coach. So size isn't always the most important thing.

Story #2. I also play football. When I started post-highschool football I was 200 pounds and I had just won at the Canada Games. One of our o-linemen who was about 310 was a year older than me and had won a silver medal at heavyweight in provincials the year before. He was big and strong but had no technique, like most heavyweights. Long story short, the vets on the team made us wrestle a "match" one night at a party. We did it the guys back yard with official boundries and real scoring. I had six beers in me and I beat him 6-5 in overtime.

The moral of these stories is that superior training is always a better asset than size. The little guy would beat you, maybe not handily, but he would win. If you could find a 450 pound guy who was reasonably atheletic, I would be very confident that I could beat him.

ThaSaltCracka
12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
everything about your post is on point, including your avatar and your location, I love it!

_2000Flushes
12-09-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a little bit about wrestling. I've been wrestling for 8 years, I won a gold medal at the Canada games in the 198 lbs catagory and I have a national silver medal. I currently wrestle heavyweight in college at about 230 pounds.

I have two stories for you. First, my wrestling coach is about 5 foot 2 and weighs about 135. I won't say that he can turn me at will, but he has the tightest gutwrench of anyone I've ever wrestled. I've wrestled six different olypians and two medalists that were around my weight and they couldn't turn me as well as my tiny coach. So size isn't always the most important thing.

Story #2. I also play football. When I started post-highschool football I was 200 pounds and I had just won at the Canada Games. One of our o-linemen who was about 310 was a year older than me and had won a silver medal at heavyweight in provincials the year before. He was big and strong but had no technique, like most heavyweights. Long story short, the vets on the team made us wrestle a "match" one night at a party. We did it the guys back yard with official boundries and real scoring. I had six beers in me and I beat him 6-5 in overtime.

The moral of these stories is that superior training is always a better asset than size. The little guy would beat you, maybe not handily, but he would win. If you could find a 450 pound guy who was reasonably atheletic, I would be very confident that I could beat him.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right that size doesn't always matter, but there's a significant psychological game to be played with someone packing that much meat.

That's a great story about that party. It reminds me of this party I went to about a week ago. It was full of jocks, and we were all pretty, big guys. Someone mentioned that it would be interesting to see who had the most endurance. The idea was for each guy there to go at it with a different partner for as long as it took to see who could keep it up the longest. Man, that was hard. (No one there really knew each other, and I think it was supposed to kinda break everyone in. But the beers had already taken care of that.)

Anyway, it was supposed to be 1-on-1, but we were all pretty hammered, and I had already had about eight bears in me that night. So it didn't take long before the contest turned into a huge gay orgy. Even safety wasn't a concern. At one point I started to get light-headed, and I think I must have blacked out because that's the last thing I remember before waking up in the hospital two days later.

Man oh man. The parties we throw at Microsoft. The stories fade, but the pain lasts forever.

-2kF

BeerMoney
12-09-2004, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and I think he'd been offered full scholarships at other schools for football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course.. He had a ton of scholarship offers, but instead, decided to go play rugby and pay for school and get no chicks. Not questioning whether or not he said that to you, questioning morons who say [censored] like this.

WDC
12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
When I was in high scholl a varsity wrestler at about 130 took on one of our basketball forwards ( who weighed about 210 and beat him by a 2-1 margin. The wrestler just kept taking the bigger guy down and letting him escape. His quickness was just too much.

Usul
12-09-2004, 07:24 PM
This also proves my next point: Basketball is for sissies.

silversurfer
12-10-2004, 12:50 AM
It takes exponentially more energy to move someone around the mat the heavier they get. So while I can see someone (possibly) beating someone 85 pounds heavier, I cannot see someone 195 beating someone 350. 155 pounds is too much. I was not a superb wrestler, but i was state-champion caliber. i could routinely toss around guys who were 30 pounds heavier *with no experience*, such as is the case here.

Zaxx, let me tone it down for you. You aren't Gable. You couldn't teach this #%^@%$^ kid to pin the 115 pounder in two days, and while you might be able to teach him to stall and make it interesting, a. stalling is illegal in folk (greco-roman) b. the skill advantage is still too much - my money is still on the smaller guy.

THAT is why I trashed you. You were wrong, and you sounded like an ass, as usual. But I should get used to that, I suppose. Keep trying ultra-hard to make everyone think how brilliant you are.

Sponger15SB
12-10-2004, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He is 5'5", weighs about 160-165, benches about 250,

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap.

Then again if you look at my avatar I'm 6'5" 400lbs and I can bench 8 tons, so I'm not THAT impressed....

Daliman
12-10-2004, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is 5'5", weighs about 160-165, benches about 250,

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap.

Depending on who that is in your pic,(ronnie coleman?), i'd say there's a better-then-average chance he CAN'T bench 400.

Not that these guys are weak at all, just they look TONS stronger than they are.
Then again if you look at my avatar I'm 6'5" 400lbs and I can bench 8 tons, so I'm not THAT impressed....

[/ QUOTE ]

ethan
12-10-2004, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and I think he'd been offered full scholarships at other schools for football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course.. He had a ton of scholarship offers, but instead, decided to go play rugby and pay for school and get no chicks. Not questioning whether or not he said that to you, questioning morons who say [censored] like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he turned down Miami. Rather, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a 1-AA (edit - or maybe better) school wanted him.

And if he was after women, he probably wouldn't have gone to a 75%-male engineering school.

The Yugoslavian
12-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Earl Boykins (who plays point guard for the Denver Nuggest in the NBA) is the shortest player in the NBA at 5'5" and apparently can bench well over 200lbs. And he isn't even a wrestler!

Just thought I'd throw that in there since any 5'5" guy who can hang with 7'6" giants deserves all the respect he can get.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Redmen62
12-10-2004, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Depending on who that is in your pic,(ronnie coleman?), i'd say there's a better-then-average chance he CAN'T bench 400.

Not that these guys are weak at all, just they look TONS stronger than they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ronnie Coleman can sure as heck bench 400.

zaxx19
12-10-2004, 04:36 AM
Dude believe it or not I benched 360 back in the days when my rotator was intact. Ronnie Coleman benches like 480 i read his work out once he did like 3x3x3x3 with 5 minutes breaks when he was going ultra heavy with like 420 or something.

SackUp
12-10-2004, 05:00 AM
What state did you live in youtalkfunny? If it a was a larger state with legitimate wrestlers and he was among the tops at 114 then I would definetely put my money on him to beat by points. Like others have said it would be likely hard to get a pinning combination on you unless you were super soft and had no strength at all. Wrestling is such a sport of technique, smarts, instict and balance that anyone lacking in these areas can be easily outmanned. Since everyone is throwing in their stories I'll give one of my own.

I was pretty legit at wrestling in high school. I placed in state my junior year (would have won my senior year but tore my damn ACL playing football - i tell myself I would have won anyhow /images/graemlins/smile.gif In any case, I wrestled at 152 my junior year and would regularly wrestle with guys above me for better practice and would whoop most of them pretty handily. I would also wrestle our heavyweight who was a big strong dude. 6'5 275 (this is after cutting weight) and he played D1 football afterwards. He was the real deal. He was also a solid wrestler placing the southern section on CA (which consisted of about 500+ schools at the time) so he was pretty legit. We would wrestle and I would beat teh crap out of him. Take downs were a bit iffy at times b/c I wouldn't want to get stuck underneath him, but I was pretty strong and way quicker than him and had a million times better technique and balance and so I would get behind him eventually and then it was all over.

He didn't stand a chance once I was on top. I would grind away at him until I turned him. The bow and arrow to cradle combo always got him /images/graemlins/smile.gif (weak gut haha)

So this guy was a pretty good wrestler, had about 9" and 125 on me and was strong as an ox and I would beat his down easily. I guys closer or at my weight were actually harder to beat b/c they were usually pretty quick and had better overall technique than the big guy.

I'm currently working on wrestling a heavyweight who was apparently state champ on AZ so we'll see how that goes. We are both like 6 years out of wrestling in HS so it won't be nearly the same thing, but I'll let you guys know how it goes. I've bulked up a ton since playing fb in college so i'm at about 185 - 190 so it won't be as big of an edge before, but this guy should have more skill then the guy on my team. I still say I whoop his ass /images/graemlins/wink.gif

You should do the same thing with the guy from your class. Wrestle him right now and see what happens.

Anyhow wrestling is an amazing sport and I highly recommend encouraging anyone you know in high school to try it out. One of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I'm looking to go back and help out with my high school team over winter break. I can't wake. Hopefully I can still whoop everyones' butt after being out so long and sitting in the damn library for the last 1 and a half. I'm pretty confident i'll beat everyone handily though. I'll report back on that too.

Word!

youtalkfunny
12-10-2004, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What state did you live in youtalkfunny? If it a was a larger state...

[/ QUOTE ]

Massachusetts.

[ QUOTE ]
You should do the same thing with the guy from your class. Wrestle him right now and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 20 years out of high school. I'm terribly fat and out of shape now. I wouldn't be a favorite if I had to wrestle my 5-year-old son.

I'm really surprised at the tremendous response. Thanks, all.

ArchAngel71857
12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wrestled some in high school even though I wasn't what you might call "on the team." (Team play was lost on me until poker came along.) I vacillated between 210 and and 160, and the guys I trounced never changed much based on my weight.

I'm fairly aggressive in any hook-up, but especially if I'm going head-to-head with a guy twice my girth. Like youtalkfunny, I'm not too quick, so it's easy to get behind me if you want. That was usually how it happened when I took a pounding on the Mat. Whatever. It's just something I had to learn to swallow.

But when I was dominant, I would deliver stiff shot after stiff shot. Granted, I took quite a few bumps myself. I once managed to juice hardway for over three hours. Yuk!

Anyway, weight didn't matter any more than age did back in those days. Man the 60s were great.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't wrestle in high school, but I was on the debate team. Anyway, one time i had a really tough debate about whether communism was an efficient form of government.My opponent was very stubborn and wouldn't bend over just a bit. I found myself in a deep hole to begin with, because my opponent was very straight and very hard. He was on top for the first half hour, but later i was able to penetrate his defenses and found him beneath me. Finally, we each saw the best answer and came together in the end. I was so persuasive he swallowed everything I had.

-AA

Fitz
12-10-2004, 02:54 PM
You can only muscle guys so far; quickness, endurance and technique are very important. I was a state qualifier at heavyweight about 20 years ago in high school. Wrestling is by far the most physically demanding sport I was ever involved in(I played football and threw the shot too).
You can't even imagine who exhausted you are after a full six minute match; I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm sure the other wrestlers out there will back me up on that one.

Good luck,

Fitz

Fitz
12-10-2004, 03:16 PM
They have since changed the rules here, but when I was in high school, the heavyweight class was unlimited. The limit is now 275lbs; guys who can't get below that can't wrestle.

As a senior, I was about 270, and I wrestled my share of 350 to 400 lb guys. Most of them were slow, and surprisingly, not usually very strong(there were exceptions). The tricky part with those guys was always on your feet. They were very hard to throw, and God knows you didn't want to shoot a takedown and get under them. I learned and arm drag and a duck under just for those situations. You really had to wait for them to run out of steam; after that, they were usually fairly easy to handle.

I'm really surprised to hear a 2 time 195 lb. state champ say a fat boy gave him a hard time. The class just below heavyweight is usually the toughest class. You get 220-230 lb guys who cut like crazy to get down there so they don't have to take on the fat boys.

Of course, when Lou Banek was NCAA heavyweight champion, he admitted he still couldn't beat Dan Gable in practice.

Good luck,

Fitz

Fitz
12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Back in high school, the wrestlers and basketball players worked out at the same time. The wrestlers worked out in a mezzanine above the basketball player's gym. There was always a lot of tough talk between the two groups. Things got really heated on afternoon, and the whole basketball team stormed up the steps to the mezzanine.

The first basketball player up the stairs turned and ran back down to the rest of the team screaming, "Go back! Go Back! It's a trap!! There are two of them!!!!" /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I thought as a serious wrestler, you'd appreciate that one.

Good luck,

Fitz

Usul
12-10-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stalling is illegal in folk (greco-roman)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not usually the nitpicky type, but folkstyle and Greco-Roman are polar opposites as far as wrestling styles are concerned. Folksyle is done exclusively in the US, wheareas Greco is done internationally. Greco is the style where you can't touch your opponents legs, it is strictly upper body wrestling.

Also that basketball player thing was pretty funny. Wrestling and basketball seasons corresponded exactly at my highschool. We would routinely beak all the basketball players for being sissies. Actually, in highschool I never called it basketball, I called it faggotball. A littel crude, I know, but I was 17.

silversurfer
12-10-2004, 06:57 PM
ok usul....thanks for the correction.

the rest of it was correct, tho.

smoore
12-10-2004, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Go back! Go Back! It's a trap!! There are two of them!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahahahaha!

/wiping tears

SackUp
12-10-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can only muscle guys so far; quickness, endurance and technique are very important. I was a state qualifier at heavyweight about 20 years ago in high school. Wrestling is by far the most physically demanding sport I was ever involved in(I played football and threw the shot too).
You can't even imagine who exhausted you are after a full six minute match; I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm sure the other wrestlers out there will back me up on that one.

Good luck,

Fitz

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't call it 6 mins of hell for nothing. Looking back I really feel bad for some of the people I wrestled. I was one mean focker back in the day.

Higher education makes you soft.

_2000Flushes
12-10-2004, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ahahahahaha!

/wiping tears

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me, I nearly forgot to post this picture of me in my favorite singlet.

http://www.geocities.com/mikesxyton/pictures/singlet.jpg

-2kF

mike l.
12-10-2004, 11:40 PM
"I had SOME muscle"

"who would win if we hooked up on the mat"

"he'd probably get behind me before I knew what happened"

tek
12-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Yes, those singlets were gay-looking... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nothumb
12-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Well I'm an experienced backyard rassler but I'm sure all you 'real' wrestlers will just crap on me if I tell any of those stories. There was a good one where I challenged every guy at my 18th birthday to wrestle me (big party) one at a time. Had to be called after I rolled into a briar patch with the third guy.

The only 'real' wrestling story comes from the 'elective wrestling class' I took in 3rd grade. I can't believe my school actually offered this. We didn't wear any gear or anything, and the only part of the class I remember was that basically you sat in a circle around a mat and picked your opponent and then went two rounds. There was a girl in the class, too.

So I was a little prick when I was 8 (I'm bigger now) and I picked this fatass 5th grader who must have weighed at least 140. Probably double my size. I started on top and immediately tried to put him in what I thought was some sort of cradle, and he rolled over and punched me square in the nuts. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Of course I 'won' on a disqualification and went around the school telling people I beat the guy, after I stopped crying like a little girl.

NT

mike l.
12-12-2004, 04:44 PM
"There was a good one where I challenged every guy at my 18th birthday to wrestle me (big party) one at a time."

i had a girlfriend who did this for her 20th. we broke up shortly after that.

Inthacup
12-12-2004, 06:14 PM
This is you (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/paneglass.html), isn't it?

mike l.
12-12-2004, 06:27 PM
interesting. i think ill try that sometime.

anyway the more interesting part of the page was the ad above it that read what's hotter? "thong, wet tshirt, or tattoo?" tattoo?!? how f*cking skanky and gross and white trash is that?? and they have some ho w/ a playboy bunny tattooed on her back. had to puke in my mouth when i saw that, thought id share.

nothumb
12-13-2004, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"There was a good one where I challenged every guy at my 18th birthday to wrestle me (big party) one at a time."

i had a girlfriend who did this for her 20th. we broke up shortly after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because she did it, or because she won? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Yeah, luckily my boyfriend was pretty understanding about it.

NT

nothumb
12-13-2004, 05:04 AM
Cup -

No, I would never go through a window like that without my mullet to protect me.

I did once break a window with my face - luckily it didn't shatter, just cracked and fell apart after I reeled away in shock... escaped without injury...

NT

_2000Flushes
12-13-2004, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did once break a window with my face

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of like in Night at the Roxbury?

-2kF

nothumb
12-13-2004, 07:20 AM
Sorry, my boyfriend wouldn't let me see that movie, said it was too gay...

He likes your unitard though...

NT

_2000Flushes
12-13-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, my boyfriend wouldn't let me see that movie, said it was too gay...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like it's time to break that saddle in.

-2kF

jedi
12-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Without reading the replies, the answer is always the same.

It depends....

If he really was the best in the state and you had no prior experience, it'd be difficult for you to beat him. I worked out with a Jr. College wrestling team a few years ago, and I figured I was the worst wrestler in the room. Well, there was this heavyweight that was also pretty bad and I gave up 100lbs to him (I weighted about 150 at the time) and wrestled him to a draw during practice. If I could do that having some experience and not being a state-caliber wrestler, then the state caliber wrestler should be able to kick your butt.

That having been said, if you have 1 year of quality experience (or even as little as 6 months), your weight advantage should be able to give you the edge.