PDA

View Full Version : Question about 'winnable' tournaments

05-19-2002, 03:52 PM
I've started playing tournaments online at Planet Poker. First just the freerolls, now I've bought into a couple. I read something here once (thread had similar subject) that is fuzzy now, so I'm hoping someone will readdress it:

Everyone begins the freerolls with T100. One of my buy-ins got me T100, the other T125. With the limits starting at 3/6 and advancing every 15 minutes, it seems that everyone starts short-stacked. It's been my observation that this structure really favors pure dumb luck. Is this true? Am I spending money to buy in to tournaments that are just crapshoots, or is this the nature of all tournament play?

I've seen many players do very well one day playing Ax and 68o from UTG, then bust the next day before they even have to post a blind. Blah, blah, blah. Now, discounting those times I make my own boneheaded plays :-), it seems like things happen so fast more often than not I don't get to take advantage of the limited skill I've developed. I've busted often from attrition even when I play well. So...

Just for fun, I went over to Poker Pages and entered some freebies, where everyone starts with 40 or so big bets (vs. 16 or 20), and I've yet to place poorly. I can be patient and play the occasional good hand correctly without fear, and count on having some chips after the loose players bust out and things tighten up.

I've actually done well several times (best: 4th out of 330) at PP, which is why I'm not sure about whether to keep buying in: is it a profitable move in the long run provided I play solid and continue to improve? Or do I avoid tournaments like these? If so (or even if not), do y'all have any recommendations for other sites online that have good tournaments?

Thanks in advance; I appreciate any help.

05-19-2002, 08:23 PM
PokerStars has good multi-table tourneys. You start with 1500, blinds start at 10-20 and go up every 15 min.

There are freeroll and cash tourneys. All types of games are played.

Check it out.