PDA

View Full Version : Razz Hand - Did I play against this idiot correctly?

Chris Daddy Cool
12-08-2004, 06:38 AM
I had never played razz for real money before in my life but I understand the basic concepts and am clearly better than most of my opponents here.

Full Tilt 2/4 Razz

I have [5 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

A [x,x]Q /images/graemlins/club.gif brings in.
B [x,x]7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif completes.
C [x,x]3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif raises.

a J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and A /images/graemlins/club.gif folds. I call. A folds. B calls.

B catches T /images/graemlins/heart.gif. C catches Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I catch 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet. B and C call.

5th street. I catch T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. B catches J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. C catches 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

So our boards look like this:

B[x,x]7 /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif
C[x,x]3 /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
ME [5 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. B calls. C raises. I 3-bet. B folds. C caps.
Right now I'm thinking C is the biggest idiot in the world.

6th street
I catch J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. C catches T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet. He raises. I 3-bet. He caps.

7th street
I catch 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet.

Looks good right? and is Player C the biggest idiot you've ever seen?

Al Mirpuri
12-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Too much money went in: you are only slightly ahead on fifth (the guy with two bricks should be allowed to limp along and draw dead because you are not ahead by much agains the other guy), you are evens (maybe behind) on sixth and you end up with a nine. None of this is good. General poker expertise is no good against apecific hand plays. You gotta know the game as well as poker. Your opponent is obviously a maniac but you are not ahead by much except on fourth.

jomatty
12-08-2004, 09:38 AM
one of the interesting thing about razz is that the worst hand cah be fthe favorite in many situations. it may pay to slow down a little earlier than you did at least as far as the 3 bets and caps go. i would lead out on most streets but consider just calling when raised.
gl
matty

TRBNGR
12-08-2004, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and is Player C the biggest idiot you've ever seen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Player C doesnt appear to be playing it terribly. Without actually doing the math, Im guessing your no more than a slight favorite going into seventh street. The fourth street call seems debatable but Id probably call it with good hole cards. After the fourth street Im guessing hes got three to the 3 or three to the wheel.

Andy B
12-08-2004, 02:34 PM
I don't play this game, but when he raises you on fifth, I think you have to figure that he's got premium cards in the hole. He did raise on third, after all. I went over to twodimes, and if you give him A2 in the hole, which seems quite reasonable, he's actually a favorite over you. Same thing if you give him A4 or 42 in the hole. You may be leading, but it's fairly likely that you don't have the best hand. You should probably have taken your foot off the gas a lot quicker. On sixth, it really looks like he's got the best hand. I don't think you quite have a value bet on the river, either. Anyway, unless this guy had a Nine in the hole or something, I hardly think he qualifies as the biggest idiot ever.

FeliciaLee
12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Chris, try David's book, "Sklansky on Poker." I got it at Overstock for about 50% off of the cover price, but that was before the poker boom, so who knows what they charge today.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
apparently i overestimnated my own abilities or underestimated my opponents abilities on this one because everybody thinks I played my hand a bit manicial. Maybe that's why I lost 40 bucks last night /images/graemlins/blush.gif

anyhow, yea, the concept of being ahead in the hand and being a slight underdog was not lost to me but I didn't realize it was as bad as you guys made it out to be.

anyhoo, as it turns out this guy was a total nutjob and I was waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead the whole time.