PDA

View Full Version : Playing two computers - Party Poker with Linksys Router

lostinthought
12-08-2004, 06:35 AM
My friend brought over his computer to my place, as we are challenging each other to play a ton over the holiday break (no, we're not colluding).

Naturally, our party is at party poker, and I have Timer Warner (roadrunner) cable internet service along with a linksys router.

When we are both playing, we experience a connection problem (burps that sometimes fold your hand and make you click I'm back), although it is better when I open ports #2147 and #2047 through the port triggering area on the linksys admin menu. This problem is pretty much completely solved for one computer when it is set as the DMZ host, although I here this is a bad idea to leave a computer as a DMZ host, and it doesn't work for both computer at the same time.

I've contacted all three tech supports (party, time warner, and linksys) and they haven't help me solve the problem. Anybody else have this problem? How do you solve it?

Eratosthenes
12-08-2004, 09:58 AM
I use the linksys wrt54g wireless router with one pc and it works fine. I have not opened any ports for party, but I did open some for PokerRoom.com (as recommended on their support page).

Isn't party going to notice that you have 2 accounts operating from 1 IP and freeze your accounts? You might want to search this forum for instances of that happening. I would think that this would be very unpleasent.

RickDecker
12-08-2004, 10:16 AM
My GF and I have played on Linksys routers at the same time at both my house and her house without difficulty. We have not needed to open any ports or put either of our machines in the DMZ.

Linksys routers aren't that well made. Perhaps it's a problem with your router.

Cheers,

Rick

lostinthought
12-08-2004, 07:58 PM
bump

Chief911
12-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Is it a wireless router, or wired?

Nick

lostinthought
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
wireless

Chief911
12-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Therein is your problem. Linksys wireless routers havea somewhat documented problem routing packets through the ports that Party uses. I had the same problem, changed to a dlink router, and presto!

Buy a new router, and your problems will disappear.

Nick