PDA

View Full Version : thank you barnes and noble

goofball
12-08-2004, 03:43 AM
at barnes and noble today i noticed they had a special poker shelf near the front.

for sale on it was:

Super System (the high point of the shelf)
Play Poker Like the Pros
Bad Beats and Lucky Draws (also by Hellmuth)
Poker for dummies (outstanding. the game can always use more dummies)
Bringind down the House (not about poker at all)

AncientPC
12-08-2004, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Super System (the high point of the shelf)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably for sale because the second edition is coming out soon.

Joe826
12-08-2004, 04:34 AM
i actually saw SSHE and TOP the other day. i think it was B&N. quite bizarre. i wish these 2+2 guys wouldn't attempt to put their books in stores.

AncientPC
12-08-2004, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i actually SSHE and TOP the other day. i think it was B&N. quite bizarre. i wish these 2+2 guys wouldn't attempt to put their books in stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL So you want a publishing company not to sell their books?

BTW, just because you read a poker book doesn't mean you know how to play it.

goofball
12-08-2004, 04:36 AM
i was thinking about this though
if you saw
-holdem poker
-theory of poker
-small stakes holdem

next to:

play poker like the pros
super system
whatever other asinine title someone has come up with to catch the eye

what would you be more inclined to buy if you knew nothing about poker literature

AncientPC
12-08-2004, 04:38 AM
Play Poker like the Pros.

The title's more catchy.

Joe826
12-08-2004, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL sarcasm.

AncientPC
12-08-2004, 04:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]

My meter's broken.

Gramps
12-08-2004, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad Beats and Lucky Draws (also by Hellmuth)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very surprising that Hellmuth would give his book this title (detectors on...?)

lacky
12-08-2004, 05:58 AM
yeah, I read a book once and I still can't win. That's how I know it's rigged!!!

Mason Malmuth
12-08-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi Joe:

last Friday we had a meeting here in Las Vegas with an executive from Barnes & Noble. Expect to see more of our books well placed in their stores in the future.

Best wishes,
mason

AngryCola
12-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Borders does a really great job for 2+2, as well. There is always a big display of 2+2 poker books on the end of the "gambling" asile.

AngryCola
12-08-2004, 06:10 AM
I could tell 2+2 books were the way to go when I first walked into the gambling section. Theres something about the "stereo instruction" quality of 2+2 books that tipped me off to their goodness.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Huh? Borders has been carrying their books for at least 2 years.

Joe826
12-08-2004, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? Borders has been carrying their books for at least 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting?

ChoicestHops
12-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Ive seen almost all of the 2+2 books at the Barnes and Noble in Little Rock, AR. I payed about $5-10 more than I would have from buying online, but I didn't mind.

mmbt0ne
12-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Not just carrying, but prominently displaying. When I went to the Borders around here about a week ago, on the side of the shelf that faces the sitting area they had the folloiwng stacked up:

Small Stakes Hold 'em
Theory of Poker
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
Hold 'em Poker
Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players

spider
12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what would you be more inclined to buy if you knew nothing about poker literature

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not the ones with cartoon six-shooters on the covers. Looking at the SSH cover, you would never guess what a great book it is. You would suspect it is some 20 year old re-print hoping to take advantage of this poker craze.

Not sure about the picture of Dan Harrington. On the one hand he is wearing one of the ugliest baseball hats I've ever seen. However, that hat is a not so subtle reminder about Dan being at the final table last year. Probably good marketing, even if it is an ugly hat.

Grisgra
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Joe:

last Friday we had a meeting here in Las Vegas with an executive from Barnes & Noble. Expect to see more of our books well placed in their stores in the future.

Best wishes,
mason

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, Mason, but widespread popularity of 2+2 books is NOT something I'm looking forward to!

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yobz
12-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Lots of 2+2 books at borders, I bought all of mine (SSH, TOP, HEPFAP, TPFAP) there

MicroBob
12-09-2004, 04:30 AM
The B&N 'skin' nearest me (called Bookstar....but their membership cards are B&N) have a LOT of the 2+2 books EXCEPT for SSHE which I find interesting.

TOP, HEFAP, HEP as well as POP, GTAOT, Gambling for a living (I think $100k is in the title somehwere).
But still no SSHE (last time I was there anyway).

Spidurman
12-09-2004, 08:30 PM
The local B&N here puts Ken Warren books in the prime slots /images/graemlins/cool.gif

The 2+2 books are just randomly in the shelves, decent selection though

Boltsfan1992
12-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Hiya -

When I first thought that I really wanted to study this game instead of just playing it, I picked up SuperSystem and Play Poker Like the Pros at Barnes and Noble...

Regarding the Hellmuth book...this is before I knew better...

My next book was the 2 + 2 Hold 'Em Poker at Barnes and Noble. After that, I got any 2 + 2 book that I could find at Barnes and Noble...

Your serious players (and I'm not sure if I'm in this category yet) will find the literature that will help them and work to understand it. I don't think they are the players you will be facing the majority of the time..

FWIW

Mason Malmuth
12-10-2004, 05:46 AM
Hi AC:

Borders has been great for us over the years. In fact, it's fair to say that we probably wouldn't be where we are today if it wasn't for Borders. But now, thanks to the poker boom, all the major players are treating us great and we expect it to continue.

Best wishes,

Mason

Mason Malmuth
12-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Hi Grisgra:

Based on my experience, your fears are ill founded. Our books also help to promote more games. Thus you have more games to select the better games from.

In addition, many players who never read our books frequently try to emulate the play of others who have. Of course they don't understand the underlying reasons as to why certain plays are only right in certain situations. Again you benefit from that.

best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth
12-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Hi Kurn:

Both Borders and B&N have carried our books since 1996. But Borders has always had a much larger selection. Now B&N is catching up.

By the way, for those of you in the South, Books-a-Million now stocks some of our tites. In addition, you should be able to find some of our titles in Waldenbooks (which is owned by Borders) as well as many other stores.

best wishes,
mason

driller
12-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Either Dec 1st or 2nd I was at the B&N closest to me (on Hyy 6 and Westheimer in Houston) and they had SSHE as well as some other 2+2 books. I have a membership card with them and I have bought most of my poker books not available there from their on line store.

gusser
12-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Thought this might be useful for those looking to buy some poker books. 25% off Borders coupon (1 item) (http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/btmcoupon_1203.html)

Gus

aas
12-10-2004, 03:32 PM
I do not agree.

I picked up my first poker book a year ago when I knew nothing about poker or 2+2. Went to borders, picked up 5 or 6 different books and just sat there for a while and browsed. It was obvious to me that the 2+2 books were the way to go (I picked up holdem poker and TOP that day, HPFAP later...).

I think the potential thinking player can recognize a good poker book (or any other game) from a bad one by flipping the pages for 10-15 minutes. The other types of player...who cares...it won't really make any difference what book they pick.

aas
12-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey! Thanks gusser!

AncientPC
12-10-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not agree.

I picked up my first poker book a year ago when I knew nothing about poker or 2+2. Went to borders, picked up 5 or 6 different books and just sat there for a while and browsed. It was obvious to me that the 2+2 books were the way to go (I picked up holdem poker and TOP that day, HPFAP later...).

I think the potential thinking player can recognize a good poker book (or any other game) from a bad one by flipping the pages for 10-15 minutes. The other types of player...who cares...it won't really make any difference what book they pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's probably true. I started playing poker and reading 2+2 before I bought any books, so thankfully my small poker library doesn't have any bad books that I've regretted buying.