PDA

View Full Version : QQ first hand

stripsqueez
12-08-2004, 03:36 AM
QQ is a tough hand in a NL SNG until the blinds get up - this time i get QhQs UTG on hand 1 in a $50+$5

i raise to T45 - all fold to the cutoff who raises to T200 - i'm very tempted to fold but given the high percentage of chooks at this time of the game i talk myself into calling with the plan of probably folding if an overcard appears - i wasnt completely happy with the plan but once deciding not to fold it seemed the best plan

flop comes Qd Jd 2c - i check and UTG bets T250 - i figure that UTG is almost certainly pot commited so i just called not wanting to scare him into fold if he had crap and thinking that free cards made little difference

turn is Ad - if someone is going to beat me with a random diamond then they are going to pay for it - so i push

all good ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

eastbay
12-08-2004, 03:44 AM
I play it the same, for what that's worth...

eastbay

Mammux
12-08-2004, 04:29 AM
I'd probably go all-in on the flop, but I'm not sure it's the best move. Anyway my reasoning would be that I'm representing the flush draw and I want him to call with any pair (AQ and AJ being the most likely callers, especially if they include a diamond).

-Magnus

Gramps
12-08-2004, 04:35 AM
Sometimes you can try the mini-check raise on the flop as well. There's kind of a psychological thing where people will call that sized raise with a nothing/marginal hand, almost to embarassed to fold to the smallest size raise (kind of a don't want to admit they "got caught lying"). Hands that might fold to a flop smooth call/Turn lead might call your flop bet and get pot committed there...guess it depends on the opponent (some will take it to mean "monster" as well and get out).

I think calling the PF raise with QQ is a good play here. For some reason, a lot of chooks think this is a great play PF with AK (and will spew chips postflop even when they don't pair). The bigger the reraise, the more I suspect AK...and you'll be ahead more than 2/3 of the time on the flop so...call it and go from there (and hope no AA/KK).