PDA

View Full Version : Playerview - Multiple DB Support?

shant
12-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Excuse me if this as already been asked for, but I just started using PV today and I've thought of a feature I'd like to see.

Would it be possible to load multiple DB's for PV to scan through for players? I have a seperate DB for data-mining, and I'd like to scan those DB's as well.

CT11
12-08-2004, 03:10 AM
I am very reluctant to include support for multiple DBs at the same table. (one DB per limit is ok)

The reason for this is speed. Adding more DBs will slow the program down linearly while growing one single DB will only slow things by an order of log(N). This can be a big difference.

I was considering adding a PV only DB which would be able to store only PV specific information and would be many many times faster (as in a constant factor rather than linear). You would then be able to merge PT DBs into a single PV DB.

This would be a while away (as in a release 1.5 or 2.0 sort of thing) as it requires a LOT of db code.

What are peoples feelings on this?

~CT

kiddo
12-08-2004, 04:05 AM
What makes it slow is when PT is reading the handhistorys that is stored on your computer, not when PlayerView goes through the database? Or is Player View doing something at the same time, and it is that, that makes it slow?

Anyway, when your database grows you have to split it and as I understand it, this will be easier in next version of Pokertracker. If adding a "PV only DB" is the way to solve this, and u cant do it without a lot of work, I would gladly do another donation when u done it.

amirpc
12-08-2004, 06:30 AM
I have multiple DB support coded and I have tested is as good as I can on my own system. Is there anyone out there whos willing to spend a little time on me with AIM or e-mail and test some stuff out? If so, please get with me (l0lnix) and once I'm satisfied I'll get this released.

sthief09
12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am very reluctant to include support for multiple DBs at the same table. (one DB per limit is ok)

The reason for this is speed. Adding more DBs will slow the program down linearly while growing one single DB will only slow things by an order of log(N). This can be a big difference.

I was considering adding a PV only DB which would be able to store only PV specific information and would be many many times faster (as in a constant factor rather than linear). You would then be able to merge PT DBs into a single PV DB.

This would be a while away (as in a release 1.5 or 2.0 sort of thing) as it requires a LOT of db code.

What are peoples feelings on this?

~CT

[/ QUOTE ]

is that log(N) stuff Big-O notation? I'm wondering because if so, that means I learned something from the programming class I had to take last year

also, given that most of us data mine, multiple DB support is the #1 most important feature-to-be IMO

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Hey guys great work on PlayerView...but I had the same question as the initial poster.I have 7 large databases in PT.It would be great if your product supported multiple databases.I'm now into a new database.I've taken MS Sunshine's advice on this and I now start a new db every month.To decide what database to use I guess I need to chose either from my last database or a different databse that may have a more data.The problem is out of the 4/5 databases I've created over last half year.. the best one about 1GB is already 3 or so months old...problem is this databse has the most hands on it and the newer databses are smaller...tough choice eh?? any advice ...
It would be awesome if Playerview could combine/read off multiple databases.
IF Playerview is a big part of your arsenal(which it isnt yet for me right now but I'm working on it)you'll need fairly large sized databases to make it worthwile!!
This is a really a deficiency in Playerview as awesome as it is.
IF you can only read off one databse.My largest database was 1GB before it just got too slow to work with (about 240 handsK)this was over a long period of time.. 4 or 5 months.
I currently use that databse to use Playerview but it is 4 months old..My newer databases are smaller.So obviously if Playerview can not support multiple databses..to get the most out of this great product you should put more play into a databse before creating a new one...Any help appreciated or opinions ! I try to play 1500/+ hands every day/6 days a week so I have no problem generating new data.But you can open up a new db with 50K/100K hand on it and still not have sufficient data.
Thoughts?

amirpc
12-08-2004, 09:16 AM
We're testing a version with Multiple DB support right now (thanks sthief)

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 09:25 AM
woohoo good news!!

amirpc
12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Yep sthief is testing it and everything is looking good. If I can get my math homework done and get everything tidied up before class I'll try to release in a few hours.

amirpc
12-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Done, released. .8W available on the website.

Here (http://home.comcast.net/~amirpc)

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I just downloaded .8W!
I added in all my databases.A total of 8 databases.Restarted the program and noticed a couple things:
1.)I have a problem where many of the players I have notes Playerview is not picking up these players and showing their stats.
2.)The stats in general dont seem to be succesfully combining the stats from multiple db's.

I then cut back on the number of databses from 8 to 4 to see if that would help and doesnt seem to help.It seems to me that eventhu we know have access to multiple databses which by the way is very well done and easy to do....that maybe one databse may have preference over others thus not combining the stats from multiple databses..I have no clue how you can get Playerview to do this..but seems a little sketchy right now..

I'll try right now to use my better databases separately then try combining them to see if I can get some fuller data.

btw you guys are amazing on how hard you've been working on this thing

gonna make a little donation today to pay for some beer money-burp!

amirpc
12-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Can you describe in detail how you know that the stats don't seem to be succesfully combining?

Also I found a tiny bug in the code I'm reuploading an installer right now. Might wanna give this a shot, I'm not sure if it was causing any of your problems though.

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 12:05 PM
well I just used my best and largest database and it works fine.BUT I've only added that one database.

When I first added all my db's Playerview was not picking up the stats off this particular databse so thats clear evidence that not all db's were being combined succesfully or maybe just a fluke dunnuh ...But I've tried various combinations... I've been using 2 $3-6 tables for all this where I have quite a few players with large number of hands/notes...

btw I tried to do a member-to-member transfer of $10.00 thru Neteller and I got an error message saying it didnt recognize your email address...

I'll try the new one!

amirpc
12-08-2004, 12:07 PM
You are restarting PV once you make changes to the list of databases right? I'm not sure what you're saying is going wrong here? Are you saying its getting all of the stats from one database?

amirpc
12-08-2004, 12:16 PM
I just sat at a table where I had thousands of hands on several people at the table across 5 databases and I experienced a massive amount of lag that made it seem like nothing was happening, and then the stats would redraw. I really doubt this is going to work well across eight databases just so you are aware.

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
You are restarting PV once you make changes to the list of databases right?

of course
Are you saying its getting all of the stats from one database?
I'm saying that I entered all my databases and PV was not succesfully combining those stats for what reason I have no clue.This was confirmed when I removed all db's except for one ... used it and PV succesfully picked up the stats showing them on 2 live tables I've been monitoring.
The earlier databases eventhu the've been "flashed" on every upgrade including the latest Pokertraker patch may possibly be a problem..just a guess.I've had PT for about 13 months so my earlier databases go way back...

amirpc
12-08-2004, 12:24 PM
When you say they are "not successfully combining the stats" What exactly do you mean? Do you mean stats for particular players are not showing up, or are you saying that they only appear to be the stats from one of your databases and not the rest of them?

I'm sorry for the confusion I'm just not able to reproduce your problem and I'm trying to figure out exactly what is happening. I just got my stats across 5 databases to display properly (over 200 thousand hands), using all of the statistics from each database.

I think your problem may lie elsewhere than the DB combining code. I wonder perhaps if there is some funky formated database you're using from a way old version of PT. I've gotta go to class now sadly but I'll try to look at this tonight.

If anyone else is noticing similar problems please! Let me know!

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
I didnt experience any lag..It just was not correctly picking up combined stats from the databases I choose.I used a combination of all my databses:8 down to 6,4 and 2.

At least now u have an option to be able to possibly combine and work the bugs out.I may only need to combine 2 or 3 databases not 8 you are right about that.
I just tried 8 by default.
I will try your new install file and try various combinations again:8,6,4,2 and 1 and see what happens.

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 12:37 PM
When you say they are "not successfully combining the stats" What exactly do you mean? Do you mean stats for particular players are not showing up, or are you saying that they only appear to be the stats from one of your databases and not the rest of them?
I'm saying that when I setup access to all eight databses that Playerview is not showing any stats at all for players were I have stats/notes galore.....
I will try right now to see If this problem is possibly related to using just the oldest of these databases.Then just try my neweset db's from the last year.

amirpc
12-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Ok I'll get back to you after class this is not a combining problem this is some other problem. I have two guesses as to the problem 1) You have so many databases that retrieval of information for anyone player takes a looooong time and PlayerView is taking forever to display them (acting like nothing is happening) 2) There is something wrong with the older databases.

goodguy_1
12-08-2004, 12:52 PM
ok forget about my old databases..I just added access to my last 2 databases to my best large databse..all created in the last 1-4 months.
When I add in these other databases and I look at the tables I'm watching with known players I now see new stats that must be from ONE of the other databases on certain players BUT I see no stats at all on the players that had large number of hands under the original large database.For me to add just even one or two other databases seems to foul things up...by foul things up I mean PV is not succesfully combining stats from these multiple datbases at all.For me it shows stats from only one database at a time even if I have 2-3 other databses enabled...

CT11
12-08-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

is that log(N) stuff Big-O notation? I'm wondering because if so, that means I learned something from the programming class I had to take last year...

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. the queries in the PT DB are mostly O(Nlog(P)) multiple DBS would be O(M*N*log(P)). A custom DB for PV would have O(log(N)) time complexity and a linear factor less space complexity.

~CT

CLC
12-09-2004, 11:16 AM
No Hablo Espanol. /images/graemlins/grin.gif