PDA

View Full Version : 33 and a favorable flop

JDErickson
12-08-2004, 01:54 AM
Opponet a TAP, 17/7. AF of 1.23 with PF

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

Comments?

TinyHorses
12-08-2004, 02:01 AM
seems kind of like a tight table to call UTG; Any pair beyond a 2 beats you and they flopped a set of twos. Fold preflop. Even worse is you think he's TAP, yet you continue to raise?

Confused.

Greg J
12-08-2004, 02:13 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get this. At all. Why are you getting into a betting war with a pair of threes? Seriously, I suck HU and SH, so maybe there is something you can teach me here.

Rubeskies
12-08-2004, 02:15 AM
I'm folding to the flop 3-bet against this guy.

Even if you are ahead (maybe he's pumping 89 or 45 as a semi-bluff) he's going to have a good redraw against you. At the least 6 outs.

JDErickson
12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
I am also not very good at HU. I'll explain my thoughts and I would appreciate everyone elses.

I think the flop raise was standard. I do this most of the time with a PP in this situation. When my opponent 3 bet I thought that if I was him I would do the same thing with overcards. I would probably smooth call and raise the turn if I had a high PP. I put him on big overcards. I decided that if he bet into me on the turn I would fold. He didn't so I kept betting.

I did chicken out on the river though.

He flipped AK and I drug the pot.

Jim

btspider
12-08-2004, 12:00 PM
if you can't fold to this aggression, just call down and bet the river if checked to.

droolie
12-08-2004, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am also not very good at HU. I'll explain my thoughts and I would appreciate everyone elses.

I think the flop raise was standard. I do this most of the time with a PP in this situation. When my opponent 3 bet I thought that if I was him I would do the same thing with overcards. I would probably smooth call and raise the turn if I had a high PP. I put him on big overcards. I decided that if he bet into me on the turn I would fold. He didn't so I kept betting.

I did chicken out on the river though.

He flipped AK and I drug the pot.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a way ahead or way behind situation.

I don't really like the rational for a flop cap because you don't get the most out of the guy if your read is right.

If I have overcards and you cap the flop I fold UI on the turn. Your flop cap really should have gotten him to fold to your turn bet. I think against a standard player you will make more if you just call down after the three-bet because they will keep betting into you. If they check you can bet for value.

I'm not sure about your read either though. If I'm BB and I have a pocket pair I 3-bet here. If you cap I call down fearing you made your set but don't release it in fear you have a small pair. I am surprised he played AK that way.

btspider
12-08-2004, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a way ahead or way behind situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

its worse than that.. its way behind or somewhat ahead. he's got 6 clean outs if he doesn't have us beat.

i don't mind the flop raise, but its no good if you can't fold to a 3-bet. if he'll generally call and fold the turn with AK, then the flop raise is good as well since the extra street is better for him than it is for you (if behind).

droolie
12-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Isn't he 2:1 (or better) to win if he has a pair HU against just overcards?

btspider
12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
yeah, he's ahead, but you don't mind taking this thing down early if your opponent will let you (this one won't). i usually refer to way ahead when the villian has 2 or 3 outs when behind and we have a clear edge on every street when we are ahead.. see next PP.

i'd like the calldown more if we could fold the river if he fires a third bullet. without that assurance, the combination of paying off the river when behind and giving him an extra street to hit his 6 outer seems to make the calldown line less viable than it at first appears.

i really haven't thought about it too much and might be quite wrong. its on my todo list /images/graemlins/smile.gif those are my current thoughts on it. against a villian this aggressive, calling down and betting the river is best.. i need to determine my ideal opponent to raise the flop with.. hmmm...

Rubeskies
12-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I think an overpair is much more likely than overcards given the action and this guy's agression factor. Will most guys with an agression factor of 1.23 3-bet the flop with overcards out of position? I would highly doubt it regardless of if he happened to in this situation.

That's why I say fold to the 3-bet.

PokerBob
12-08-2004, 02:31 PM
The more I look at your play, the more it makes sense, but I just can't get used to the idea of going to war with 33. It is so easy to get counterfeited.

Here was my INITIAL reaction. "IMO, capping the flop is nuts. Sure he could have a non-paired hand, but if he is truly a TAG, he could be raising from the SB with a pair as low as 5's. If you respect him, he porbably respects you and knows you wouldn't limp UTG with nothing."

Now I don't know what I think.