PDA

View Full Version : Play of the Week

09-01-2001, 12:52 PM
Well lets hope losing isn't a trend itself.

South Carolina -19.5 Gamecocks return a lot of talent from a solid, yet not spectacular team last year. This year they will focus on possibly becoming that spectacular team. Holtz is finally settled in with mostly his guys. He will want a chance to lay into a team that was 10-2 last year. Boise had a dream season playing at big boys level and getting themselves promoted up a league. Now they will slip back as the tougher schedule and lack of experience slows their progress. They lost their incredibly successful and popular coach to ASU and open on the road with only 10 returning starters and have to replace a very capable QB. Doesn't look good as Columbia is ready for a big year and will make this an intimidating venue. Big time school versus small time school, big time has lots of players back and small time doesn't. Looks like a big mismatch but the number isn't that unreasonable. South Carolina 48 Boise St. 14

Other games I considered

Washington St already won easily, this could be the surprise team of the Pac 10, but they easily handled a lower level team in a rivalry matchup they had revenge motivation for.

Colorado worried me with their less than sharp performance, but I think there is a definite talent edge here early in the season as Lubick will have to get his JUCOs up to speed. Number is reasonable, but the lack of execution and the rivalry nature of this game makes me pause.

Bowling Green has nowhere to go but up. Missouri lost a rare talent for themselves in Smith and could be looking at rebuilding this year. Hard though to support a lower level team on the road after a 2-9 year, but BG could be close to the top of the MAC come year end.

Penn State will definitely have a better season despite the lack of returning starters. Paterno is loaded with talent coming in and they almost by default should play better. Miami is going to have to live up to its billing right here and boy this is a tough spot to open the season. The Canes could very well get upset here, this looks like a big trap. I made it pretty clear what I thought of Miami already, maybe this is the first chance for the public to see their lofty spot isn't quite warranted. Lions should have a great run defense this year and with green receivers for Miami they might have some trouble with the offense here.

Fresno State still looks good to me, but boy last week killed all line value here. In some ways its nice to see they can play at such a level before putting money on them, but without last weeks game I get more than a TD here. Still I like their chances for a straight up win as its a TV game for a program starving for attention. Fresno has some of the most loyal and vocal fans around, they have to be absolutely fired up for this one. Beavers will have to jump out to an early lead if they want to win here. Fresno's defensive speed surprised me and it will be very useful at stopping the outside runs of Simonton. Smith is an overrated QB, I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his job before year end. The guy threw for under 50% last year but his return is called a positive??? If the guy had a gun I could see it but he is mediocre armed and not the fastest runner either. This team has pretender written all over them.

09-01-2001, 07:41 PM
Have to take a different stance on the Fresno St. game. Fresno St.'s coming off a big win against Colorado, and I'm guessing they'll be down for this game, even though it's a big one. It's difficult for a team to remain at a high emotional level like that for 2 weeks in a row. Now the value has shifted to OSU, who physically has a better team. Erickson will for sure have gotten his team mentally prepared for this game. OSU -3.5 Bill

09-03-2001, 05:14 AM
WB: plays of the week 0-2

BillG: 0-1

09-03-2001, 07:07 PM
Hey buddy I am 0-1-1, but admit someone who doesn't shop much might have lost. I don't see you posting any picks. Besides can we do a poll here, how many people blindly follow my picks? I doubt its many.

09-04-2001, 11:42 AM
...I took them under for the season. I think I'm gonna lose that bet. They looked awesome on both sides of the ball and Dorsey just looks like he's playing on a different level. Vs Penn State Saturday, Miami could have put a 50 up, but out of respect to Joe Pa, they didn't. Are you listening ass-hole Spurrier?? Did you catch his QB flinging bombs with 3 minutes to go up 42-14? Great for Florida bettors, atrocious for the players & fans of Marshall. Such a great advertisement for the sportsmanship associated with college athletics - yecch!

09-04-2001, 12:50 PM
Season has a long way to go but WB has this one wrong too. Drivel is what you call my stuff?

09-04-2001, 03:31 PM
Its drivel because all you are is a hater. Disagree with my picks, but do something useful. Add some insight. Hey I admit I am wrong quite often, but I am right more than I am wrong, that is what sports betting is about right? You on the other hand don't do anything of value for us. You just want to talk about what I missed. What good does that do for the group or conversation. At least I write and contribute here. When I go out of town and don't contribute for awhile it seems like we get about 1 post a day, usually something from $$$Man. The whole thing is stupid because this used to be a great place, lots of great input from many great minds. Then people methodically chased them out with idiot rips on their picks or methods without offering a thing in return. If you had been around here long enough you would remember what Abdul contributed here, then two idiots came in here out of nowhere and just mercilessly ripped on him for a week. He said forget it, I won't post in here anymore and we lost that resource. Is that what you would prefer?

09-04-2001, 04:43 PM
Let's just ignore this Feist fool Wild Bill. He's just showing his ignorance and jealousy.

Dino.

09-04-2001, 05:39 PM
Agree,

WB I don't post much here anymore, but I still read this forum, ostensibly for what you have to say. Keep it up.

MDMAniac

09-05-2001, 03:33 AM
I just wonder why someone would take Jim Feist's name in a forum like this considering his reputation in legitimate handicapping circles...

09-05-2001, 08:29 AM
The reason they didn't put up 50 was because they kept killing themselves in the red zone early. That type of stuff won't hurt them against PSU, but if they do that when they go to FSU it can cost them a W. They are an undiciplined team.

Dorsey was still throwing passes in the 4th quarter with a 33-0 lead. I don't think Miami has ever been the team to use as an example of class.

09-05-2001, 09:07 PM
No kidding. That game was more a reflection of PSU being in a real mess than anything. No team of this caliber should be that outgunned in a half of a game with that much prep time. Miami though did pass their first test, but getting to 10 wins is still a tough battle.