PDA

View Full Version : What +ev is position actually worth?

laja
12-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Lets try to get some speculation and maybe even some hard numbers on this. I'm gonna take a super simplified approach and say that it's somewhere around .25-.5BB. When you are winning and in position you will probably get in an extra raise on the flop (.5 bb), and if you are losing and in position you will bet hard until the river where you will probably check, saving a bb (1 bb). I lowered it because this is obviously being optimal. What do you guys think?

laja
12-08-2004, 03:54 AM
bump.. as this is one of the most important questions in poker

BusterStacks
12-08-2004, 04:04 AM
This question actually sounds pretty boring, as it would be impossible to quantify.

Peter_rus
12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
This question i really need to find the answer. I tryed to use the next approach:

I sort my benefits from most +ev hands with vpip of 100% and PFR/3-bet/cap 100% by six positions (as many of my hands were SH) after 220K hands i played. Hands like AA-TT, AKo, AKs. And find how much in terms of BB/100 they do in:

In 2-3 positions they do 1.36BB/100
1-0 positions they do 1.42BB/100
SB and BB they do 1.24BB/100

But when i try to find how this difference produced i find that it's all because of my AKo in blinds. Maybe i play it not so well or maybe position worth less for premium hands and worth more when you start to decrease the initial strength of your hand.

I'll keep searching to weight the effect of positions in terms of BB/h but now i can say a little.

Michael Davis
12-08-2004, 01:30 PM
It's definitely a lot tougher to win with AK in the blinds because you will be taking down less of the pots that you both airball.

My numbers (all 6-max) are more drastic than yours. I'm not going to check the bb/100, but in about 80K hands I've made ten times as much on the button as I've made UTG.

-Michael

Peter_rus
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
I filter my button and CO Vpip. for a more big range of hands which i usually play (raise or occasionally limp) as well from blinds (defending or attacking), for the same hands i filter vpip from blinds as well as see flop from BB for free. The number are: 0.63BB/100 from BB and CO and 0.36BB/100 from blinds, so this difference of 0.27BB/100 looks like roughly right cypher to take into account at least for my style to weigh the position between the worst and the best.

laja
12-08-2004, 05:39 PM
This is a very useful question as it can help determine what hands you should play to play flawless preflop. To figure it out you can just look at the BB/100 of certain hands in 1 position and then look at it in a later position. You will need a lot of hands...

interesting, "But when i try to find how this difference produced i find that it's all because of my AKo in blinds"

do you mean that A/A was similar from all positions?! try posting some specific hands