PDA

View Full Version : My first four of a kind ever(did I play it right)?

Hack
12-07-2004, 10:31 PM
My first four of a kind ever where I have two in my hand and two on the board. I had the nuts on the turn. I'm showing the results because I had the nuts anyway on the turn so it's obvious who won.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

River: (12 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Qd Qs (four of a kind, queens).
Button has 5d 4c (full house, fours full of queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 14 BB. </font>

Shillx
12-07-2004, 10:34 PM
I would probably 3-bet the flop and take it from there. Slowplaying hands like this out of position is dangerous because the villian might check the turn through.

If the button would never raise a draw and always bet the turn, then this is okay.

Shill

Hack
12-07-2004, 10:38 PM
That's true. What do you put him on when he raises this considering that I raised before the flop?

I have seen very few people at this limit raise with draws like flush draws or straight draws. Most just call to the river, where they then raise if they make it. Pretty easy to spot.

Shillx
12-07-2004, 10:42 PM
He probably has a pocket pair. He might just have a queen. Another reason to 3-bet is that if he has a 4 in his hand, he will often go off for a lot of bets. When you call the flop and check/raise teh turn, virtually all hands will slowdown against you knowing that you have a monster.

Shill

droolie
12-07-2004, 10:44 PM
That Q on the turn was bad for you. It killed your action w/button who probably had a four.

Hack
12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Okay, I see now.

If you were in his position and you had a 4 and I 3-bet would you cap it and play it like you said he would if he had it?

Shillx
12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
No I would call the 3-bet on the flop with something like A4 and raise a bet on the turn (this assumes that the turn is not a Queen). Then you would 3-bet me, and I would scratch my ass and call you down.

Shill

Hack
12-07-2004, 10:52 PM
I see now, thanks.

Hack
12-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Yeah I posted results above.

Button had a 4. I regret not 3 betting on the flop now but I did get him to put in two big bets on the turn and one on the river, so I got my money's worth out of him. He probably would have capped the flop though with his trips.

Greg J
12-07-2004, 10:55 PM
It's a good thing you posted the results. You really had us in suspense! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the turn check raise. The ironic thing is that the quads probably cost you a few bets. He probably put you on a lone queen. Still, I think you played this fine.

EDIT: I see I am a voice of decent here. Oh well. If the fourth queen doesnt come up you just bet out.

Hack
12-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks for your comments Greg.

Without knowing the turn card though, I just called the raise and gave up two small bets on the flop from him. I earned an extra big bet from him on the turn when the Queen fell and I check-raised him. Two small bets= 1 big bet as well know, so the bets evened out at the end I figure. I probably got all I could out of him.

droolie
12-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I don't think you could have done anything better to get more money in the pot. You may have scored big if your hand hadn't "improved" though.

If I'm the button and you call when I raise on the flop, I'm not thinking you have QQ, I'm thinking you have any two cards that are worthy of being raised pf. When you raise me on the turn after the second queen falls I'm thinking you have a full house (not a slow-played full house that turned into a flush) but call you down in case you're messing with me. When I see you have Quads I'm surprised.

If you had three-bet the flop you would have made less money off of me if I'm the button. In this case I call the flop intending to raise the turn when a blank hits. I check /fold after the Q hit on the turn and am not surprised if you have quads I'll never see.

Hack
12-07-2004, 11:17 PM
That's exactly what I thought Droolie. I gave up two small bets on the flop and gained an extra big bet on the turn from the check-raise(which evens out I guess), but if a blank had hit(say 2d) and I check-raised he probably would have re-raised me and I would have capped, and I probably would have made more money.

Hack

Hack
12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Makes sense. If a blank falls on the turn then I bet out and hope to be raised by the guy with trips. That is what I put him on because most players at this limit don't raise with just a single pair, they call. With a pair on the board I thought he either had trips or maybe a smaller boat(4s over).

Now I realize how bad that turn Queen screwed me, although I hailed it as the nuts and knew that I could not be beat by another 4 coming. /images/graemlins/wink.gif