PDA

View Full Version : Good folds?

Hack
12-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I just want to make sure that I am folding in correct places, so I just posted a couple example hands.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, SB folds, Hero folds.

Turn: (4 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (12 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14 BB, between UTG+1 and MP3.</font>

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.02 (All-In), UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero folds, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 3 BB, between UTG, MP1 and MP2.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 5 BB, between MP1 and MP2.</font>

Shillx
12-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Yup looks good to me.

Shill

wabe
12-08-2004, 12:01 AM
I fold in both these places as well.

A good thing to do is count your outs and compare them to your pot odds. That will tell you whether or not you should keep going (I didn't do it here, so I don't know whether the fold is a correct play or not).

droolie
12-08-2004, 12:34 AM
They're good folds if you can explain why you folded. If you just guessed that they were good times to fold they weren't. You need to have a systematic way of analyzing every action or else you will be lost.

Before you fold do the following...

Look at the pot size, count your outs, calculate your pot odds, think about the likelihood of making your hand and still losing, consider your position relative to the bettor and the likelihood the pot will be raised after you act in that round. If any of these factors jump out at you as being particularly unappealing, betting or raising is probably -EV.

In hand 1: You're getting 5:1. You have at best 3 outs when you discount the backdoor str8 and J overcards. This is an easy fold because you need at least 7:1 to draw to three outs and even if you make your hand your not drawing to a sure winner.

In hand 2: You have a generous 3 outs again. The pot's giving you 6:1. You're still drawing to a unlikely winner. Another easy fold.

If you're not already doing this or don't understand what I'm saying you really need to buy some poker books or take them up in the beginners forum. Counting outs is very important to do well. Make sure you understand how to count them and discount them. These were pretty basic folds. Folding becomes much tougher when you have odds to draw or have a made hand but there are other factors that confuse you. When you confront those confusing situations post them here and you'll get lots of help.

slickterp
12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
not to be an ass, but don't the 4 9's that hit his gutshot give him outs as well? so i'd say those were his viable outs since the J may easily be counterfeited. but 7 outs there.

slickterp
12-08-2004, 12:51 AM
never mind. i thought by discount you meant disregard, not count as less than a whole out.

Hack
12-08-2004, 12:53 AM
Yeah that's what I did with both of these.

If the flops had been better like if I had a backdoor flush draw and backdoor straight draws with two overs I would have taken one off, etc.

Jaran
12-08-2004, 02:31 AM
Good folds?

Yup

-Jaran